Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm holding Meek to a higher standard - we needed him to physically impose himself on SDK. I gave De Koning the points and pretty comfortably. That should have been a duel we win on the day.

He was by no means the only one but that was one physical battle we should have won.
Meek smashed SDK in the ruck, he did lose around the ground though.

I'm holding Meek to a higher standard - we needed him to physically impose himself on SDK. I gave De Koning the points and pretty comfortably. That should have been a duel we win on the day.

He was by no means the only one but that was one physical battle we should have won.
I have seen this a few times writen about Meek's game. He was not beaten in rucking terms. Have a look at the stats if you want proof irrespective of how much jumping the opposition tried.

Geelongs whole strategy to nullify him was based on losing the ruck, but hunting the receiver.

Nor did his opponents outmark him. They got onto the end of some cheapies running off him because our midfield and defenders made horrible turnovers.

Put myself through the pain again and watched some of the replay.

What is evident is how well they block up the space when the opposition have the ball. Time and time again we tried to hit a 30 metre pass and had it chopped off as the Cats were well positioned and ready to pounce.

Also what was evident was they were out to hurt us at every chance with a hard hit tackle.

Why we let Tom Fn Stewart just run around in the middle and do as he pleased was really poor from us.

Who was on Count Dracula Close? I can’t work it out from the replay as nobody stood near him.

Danger continually barges through us and smashes into us whenever he can and we don’t respond.

Jezza needs one right on the beak. Could we get Frosty to accidentally stick his knees into his ribs next time we play them?

A real soft game over in Perth, (let’s be honest the Eagles are not playing for their coach any longer) plus the media salivating all over us all week and a ramped up Geelong on that kids sized ground was the perfect storm and we copped a serious whack.

Freo have a great record against us.

Massive test coming up.
I will para-phrase for you, Geelong intimidated, bullied and bashed up on our team.
A similar thing was happening over 20 years ago by another team, we took action but infortunately can't
allow history to repeat there.

What is really infuriating in todays footy, is the faux tough guy, who was the wimp bashing into Chol when he wasn't
looking and as soon as he turned around shat his dacks!! Annoys me, hell if Chol decks him 80% of the supporter
base would applaud because like the players, we are also sick of these shenanigans.

The AFL have to look to the NFL and see how they have proceeded to stamp this cr@p out.

Geelong would say SDK was one of their best.

I know Meek isn't hugely experienced but he's a pure ruck playing against a bloke who is new to that role, and who is smaller and lighter. On paper, I was hoping he would physically bully SDK out of the contest. Much the way Danger and co did to our lighter and less seasoned midfield.

I've seen the stats, I know he won hit outs but for me he lowered his colours in a battle we would have been hoping to win convincingly. Thats all.

He had plenty of mates do the same and who were more culpable but still.

SDK and TDK are the perfect ruck types moving forward. Tall enough to compete at the bounce, mobile enough to run around the ground and also go forward and kick goals.

Meek was always going to have his hands full with a combo of Blitz and SDK.

Meek. Nash. Frost. Jai. Chol. There’s five blokes who can smash in hard and assert physical dominance. The team as a whole didn’t want to do it - no idea why. Frustrates me.

De Koning did get 7 coaches votes, so Sammy thought he was worth at least three votes.
That said, Meeky was far from the worst, it was our midfield that didn’t stand up to the pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were due a crap game.

Had some big outs in Ginni, Dear and Sis. Frontal pressure was sorely lacking and we missed Sicily slicing teams open.

Six day break coming from Perth.

So not 34k but absolutely sold out. Your taxes at work

What’s the gripe here, exactly? Public tickets were sold out. That means if members with reserved seats don’t show up it won’t be a capacity crowd.

Taxpayers money gets used on pretty much every major stadium in the country - there is local, state and federal funds going into Dingley which stands to predominantly only benefit our football club. Our major sponsor for over a decade has been a state government body. You really can’t get your knickers in a twist over public funds going to upgrading Kardinia.

Geelong would say SDK was one of their best.

I know Meek isn't hugely experienced but he's a pure ruck playing against a bloke who is new to that role, and who is smaller and lighter. On paper, I was hoping he would physically bully SDK out of the contest. Much the way Danger and co did to our lighter and less seasoned midfield.

I've seen the stats, I know he won hit outs but for me he lowered his colours in a battle we would have been hoping to win convincingly. Thats all.

He had plenty of mates do the same and who were more culpable but still.
I thought Meek was pretty good but agree he lacked a bit of edge he has shown this season . He is young so it's another tough learn for us , but positive in the longer term .
I thought SDK athleticism threw him off a little and we did him no favours with our poor ball handling under pressure.

No doubt they targeted us physically and the game looked like it got very big quickly on us .

Hopefully we can close the gap with another pre season a bit more confidence and stronger bodies next Easter Monday . I think we can ....it's just ages away .

Blake Hardwick post match

Plus gws Coll and Mel.

Surprised bris and doggies have never been there, lots still rate them, including squiggle

Let’s stick to the 9. Hawks lost to Geel ess Syd Mel coll pta beat gws still to play fre and Carl.

I guess our ‘level is 8-10th, with bris and WB
Squiggle rates them?

Okay - you’ve lost me.

Stick to facts.

We have only beaten two teams currently sitting in the top 10 (7th & 8th).

6 of our 8 wins have been over teams currently 11th, and the bottom 5 slots (14th - 18th).

Clearly our level is 11th - 13th, which is a solid improvement on the previous 4 seasons.

Squiggle rates them?

Okay - you’ve lost me.

Stick to facts.

We have only beaten two teams currently sitting in the top 10 (7th & 8th).

6 of our 8 wins have been over teams currently 11th, and the bottom 5 slots (14th - 18th).

Clearly our level is 11th - 13th, which is a solid improvement on the previous 4 seasons.

Really? It’s pretty much glass half full half empty stuff.and idf you want to get picky I said nine teams have been in top 6 at some point. That is a fact.
My opinion I reckon there’s only 3 consistent top teams. And we’ve only played one.

Talking Hawks 6 Points Podcast

This is one I expected us to drop.

Can still make it, but Carlton (like Geelong) can play at a higher level than us. So we really need to upset Fremantle next week.

KermitJagger recently took issue with my claim that one of several factors in our improved run of 7-1, was we had played inferior sides in the past 2 months and got our game style going as a result.

Geelong are still a better side than most, and we couldn’t get anything going tonight. Hence they just belted us by 51 points.
This is a bit pathetic imo. I still take issue with it. Sometimes bad match ups happen, especially when you're forced to make 3 key changes, and even more when you're a young team playing at arguably the most difficult home ground to play at.

Yes this was a bad outcome, no the quality of Geelong wasn't the sole reason. If we were benefited by easier games prior to this one I'm not sure how - St Kilda just beat Sydney, GWS beat Carlton. Two sides we beat prior. Brisbane are in great form too. Geelong have lost 2 games this year by 60+ points, one to Gold Coast who just lost to North.

With respect, if you're going to try to make a painfully simplistic claim about our form and then tag someone back in it when they disagreed with you weeks ago, it helps to not ignore every piece of information that disagrees with you.

It's one loss.

Got halfway through this thread and no small wonder I avoid this place like the plague after losses. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The league is very even this year. You can't drop your intensity or you lose, a lot of good clubs discover this regularly. The best thing we can do is get back to it and come out firing next week.

We're young, we'll learn from the experience. I don't think we'll see such a collectively poor effort from our midfield again for the rest of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back