Toast Thank you Neeld.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell me more about Neeld's wonderful development of our list..?

Watts improved, but that's pretty much it.

Short sightedness at it's very best.

The other two basically answered it for me. We've seen a number of players develop in only the last 12 months. Bailey had 5 years and set us backwards.

Large chunk of talent? What talent was this? Martin had a dip but you can't tell me that Gysberts truly had a large chunk of it. The kid played a few good games but he hardly had any currency. And don't even try and lump Morton in there as well.

I'm excited for the club as we are looking ahead and making positive changes to our culture as a whole. Rodan and Byrnes are simply there to play some games and support the kids. They aren't there as world beaters. Dawes and Pedersen, being younger, are players identified as the forwards we don't have.

What we should be looking closely at is the addition of two high draft picks in Viney and Hogan, as well as whoever Pick 4 is and Barry. THERE are the kids. They will be supported now by bigger bodies and experience as they develop rather than being thrown in the deep end.

Your attitude is typical really. Let's hold on to these players in the hope they'll be the answer. Morton, Martin, Moloney and Rivers were not the answer. Gysberts may not have had the same chances but clearly Neeld, Craig and Misson saw him as someone who was expendable. Finally we are being ruthless in the pursuit of success and not just hanging around and hoping a few of these guys will come good.

And if you want to be unhappy at anyone it should be Bailey, Prendergast and their horrendous drafting and development of our list. They set us back, not Neeld.
Lulz Rivers was one of best players if he wasn't the answer then we might as well delist 36 players. Anywho if you don't think Gysberts is talented then you haven't watched him. The rest is you reading into my post a whole bunch of stuff that isn't there.

Lulz Rivers was one of best players if he wasn't the answer then we might as well delist 36 players. Anywho if you don't think Gysberts is talented then you haven't watched him. The rest is you reading into my post a whole bunch of stuff that isn't there.

I rate Rivers highly but Neeld didnt get rid of him he left. I also rate Gysberts and to be honest I'm not a fan of that particular trade. Reforming the list/culture means you will inevitably make some unpopular decisions though, and our list clearly needed reform.

Rivers was a bad example, true. I think the club would have been happy to keep him but he wanted some short term success before his career is over and I can understand that.

And I didn't read anything into your post other than the fact that you aren't excited by the changes made by the club. You rubbished the recruits and called them Joel MacDonald calibre players who we would laugh at. I think it's pretty clear how you feel about it and I put forward a different view. No need to backtrack now.

Rivers was a bad example, true. I think the club would have been happy to keep him but he wanted some short term success before his career is over and I can understand that.

And I didn't read anything into your post other than the fact that you aren't excited by the changes made by the club. You rubbished the recruits and called them Joel MacDonald calibre players who we would laugh at. I think it's pretty clear how you feel about it and I put forward a different view. No need to backtrack now.
I've said I was disappointed that we've had to write off talented young players and you've taken that as me wanting to keep all of them. Your poor reading comprehension doesn't equate to me backtracking.

So, his method of fixing our culture (if you'd like to call it that) is to remove everyone with a bad attitude, regardless of their ability, talent, or potential? And expect cast-offs like Rodan to become leaders just because they found themselves in a premiership team?

This whole idea of him getting rid of players that didn't "buy in" is ridiculous. He's the coach- it's his job to build belief amongst our players. He should motivate the players to get the absolute best out of themselves.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm going to be very nervous seeing players like Moloney, Rivers and Gysberts line up against us.
His job is in fact to gather a team of young men who are willing to check their egos at the door and play a role in his game plan.When players reach this elite level they should not need a coach to motivate them to perform at all, if they need this they should not be playing at this level.The will to succeed and to be better than your opponent should be an automatic.
Players with a poor attitude and the need for external motivation are the cancer which has infected this club, and the fact that a large chunk of that has been cut out, is the beginning of this club coming out the other side.I wouldn't worry to much about when these blokes line up against us because unless they change the way they go about their footy nothing much will change for them.I do wish them luck in their future endeavours and acknowledge the contributions while here but for most they are better off out of MFC and MFC are far better off without them.

I've said I was disappointed that we've had to write off talented young players and you've taken that as me wanting to keep all of them. Your poor reading comprehension doesn't equate to me backtracking.

And I argued that they weren't as talented as you're making out.

I didn't miss anything about your post. You rubbished the new recruits and felt that we had made a mistake in trading out the "talent". I argued otherwise. I'm not sure what's so hard to follow about that.

Agreed

I hope if Hogan becomes an out and out gun, fkwits like Barrett have the pills to say he got it wrong

Barrett has no clue, He obviously only looks at our list from an outside perspective, he doesn't understand what players the team needs. He seems to think we should keep doing what we have been doing for the past 5 years, pick up young kids who have no idea what to do due to a lack of role models. And then wonder why we still are on the bottom.

Jesus Christ I hope you aren't an English teacher.

Well what did I miss? Stop with the cheap and childish comments and explain it how it should be as it seemed very clear to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RIP MFC amazing young talent.
Cook: Spud.
Morton: Spud.
Bennell: Spud.
Lawrence: Spud.
Bate: Mature potato.
Williams and Sheahan: NFI what they do.
Jurrah, Moloney, Rivers: Quit the club.
Petterd & Martin: Showed a bit at times.
Gysberts: Potentially good player.

Maybe the part where I didn't say the we should keep all the guys moved on or where I didn't say anything about a mistake.

Never argued that you said we should keep them all.

Would have thought calling it a "disaster" would mean you think what we've done is a mistake.

Never argued that you said we should keep them all.

Would have thought calling it a "disaster" would mean you think what we've done is a mistake.
We've lost a bunch of talent, maybe it was preventable maybe not. Losing talent when it's already thin on the ground isn't a super awesome thing.

Don't thank Neeld too quickly.
All these list changes are nothing to celebrate.
Wins are to be celebrated.
Neeld's job is to win games.
We as supporters want our team winning games. Winning our fair share every year. Winning some finals too and hopefully the one we all want.
Rest I don't care (delisting players, changing culture). Those who wear the red and blue jumper have to earn the right to ear it proudly with distinction. We all reflect fondly on past players who met this criteria ( past champs).

The board appointed Neeld as coach. This means to me that Neeld has the right to drive the club the way he wants it. Do what he wants. Delist who he wants. Drop from favour who he wants etc etc. I'm fine with all this.

What I will do is measure Neeld by the only measure that counts , WINS.
However, another bad season, stuff all wins, to me means sack him. Harsh? 4 wins in 2012 was harsh and very hard for me to endure after a couple of promising years under Bailey that ended in the 186 disaster.

The objective of footy is "To kick the winning score" to borrow a line from a rival club song.

I support Mark Neeld in his quest to kick the winning score much more often.
I will measure him on this objective.
I want to be celebrating 10 plus wins in 12months time. Big ask? Long overdue? Yes.
note: I am not saying Neeld needs 10 wins to keep his job next year. I will demand he wins at least two more game than this year or else sack him.
Go Dees.

I'm sorry I'm not that excited that the coach and club have decided that a large chunk of talent aren't worth persisting with.

Such as? Names?

A "large chunk" would imply, say, over 50% of those moved on (or left), so 7 names?

Also, seeing you have a fondness for correctness and what English teachers might and mightn't do, we agree that we're talking about "talent" here, and not "potential talent".

Such as? Names?

A "large chunk" would imply, say, over 50% of those moved on (or left), so 7 names?
The year Allen Jakovich left we lost a large chunk of talent in one guy so nah I don't agree. I name players that were universally seen as future stars and get told they were never any good because they don't play for us any more. Boring. Over the top bias is fun at games where we call ball when it's not near there and tell gun players on other teams that they are useless spuds, but this place becomes a home of cheerleading floggery like the Norf board if everyone is an uncritical drone cheering everything the team does.

Also, seeing you have a fondness for correctness and what English teachers might and mightn't do, we agree that we're talking about "talent" here, and not "potential talent".

I have a fondness for people reading what's actually written in my posts rather than responding as if I'd posted something completely different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Thank you Neeld.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back