That game was our season

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sure, we had some bloody shitty umpiring decisions go against us, but we ultimately choked at the death. We should have/could have won that much - but we made stupid decisions when it counted the most.

Roughie playing on.
Campbell mouthing off
Stupid free-kicks at crunch times.

I don't know who the journalist was who had a go at our discipline earlier this year - but he was dead right.

We are so bloody indisciplined.

Spot on.

Don't forget our pathetic skills, unstuck tackles and poor disposal under pressure, slipping over at crucial times, hospital jobs, missed set shots and behinds from open goals under no pressure.

If that game had ended one minute earlier, we all would have been on here applauding the team for winning a crunch game with finals like pressure.

We had - at times - poor skills, poor decision making and lapses in concentration/discipline. All of these errors are a byproduct of high stress caused by immense pressure. We were playing the 3rd side. It was never going to be a walk in the park. As a young side who have never experienced finals, we were always going to struggle against a side who a few years ago won a premiership.

I think it is very poor form by supporters to lay the boot in after a game like that. Some of you need to go back and search for posts by you at the start of the season. The consensus was that we were optimisticly aiming at a spot in the top 8. We are 4th, with two rounds to come. We will learn from that loss, and will look forward to next week, where we will continue to fight for a spot in the top 4. To fight for a double chance. No one dreamed of this at the start of the season.

You cannot suddenly upgrade your expectations and just as quickly disregard the reasons why this was not possible. Yes, we are a young side. An inexperienced team. A team that will falter and make mistakes - particularly in a high pressure environment that most players have not been exposed to.

Like any Hawks supporter, I am no happy with the loss, made all the more bitter that until the last second we looked like winning it. But to lay the boot in and say the players didn't try, that we are pathetic is a shit effort by you. Pull your head in and show what you think by rocking up next week to the bulldogs match and giving all the support you can. Because they'll need it if we still want to win the flag this year.

with experiance comes wins........

we lost this game by doing the stupid things we always do, but lets not all forget we have a very young list so these kids are guna be undisciplined until they mature in proffesionalism..

that goldshit is a head case realy.............

i dont agree tho this was our season.. does it realy matter if we finish 2nd or 4th.......
we could finish 2nd and loose 2 finals.........or we could finish 4th and win 2 finals.......

or we could finish 5th and win one final...or two or three.......

our season starts in september when we play our 1st finals since 2001

If that game had ended one minute earlier, we all would have been on here applauding the team for winning a crunch game with finals like pressure.

We had - at times - poor skills, poor decision making and lapses in concentration/discipline. All of these errors are a byproduct of high stress caused by immense pressure. We were playing the 3rd side. It was never going to be a walk in the park. As a young side who have never experienced finals, we were always going to struggle against a side who a few years ago won a premiership.

I think it is very poor form by supporters to lay the boot in after a game like that. Some of you need to go back and search for posts by you at the start of the season. The consensus was that we were optimisticly aiming at a spot in the top 8. We are 4th, with two rounds to come. We will learn from that loss, and will look forward to next week, where we will continue to fight for a spot in the top 4. To fight for a double chance. No one dreamed of this at the start of the season.

You cannot suddenly upgrade your expectations and just as quickly disregard the reasons why this was not possible. Yes, we are a young side. An inexperienced team. A team that will falter and make mistakes - particularly in a high pressure environment that most players have not been exposed to.

Like any Hawks supporter, I am no happy with the loss, made all the more bitter that until the last second we looked like winning it. But to lay the boot in and say the players didn't try, that we are pathetic is a shit effort by you. Pull your head in and show what you think by rocking up next week to the bulldogs match and giving all the support you can. Because they'll need it if we still want to win the flag this year.

I am sure there is not one hawk fan on this board that isnt wrapped by our position, but by no means does it mean we cant talk about the shit umpiring or the poor disposal under pressure. Teams need to learn to win the crunch games and age is no excuse because West Coast has one of the youngest teams and theyve won a premiership. We should have won, but at times you need to question the disposal.

at last some common sense........

cheers buddy...........

was very excited about today's game until i read in the paper that goldspank was umpiring, so i worked instead.
glad i made the right decision i can't afford to have an annurism right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

with experiance comes wins........

we lost this game by doing the stupid things we always do, but lets not all forget we have a very young list so these kids are guna be undisciplined until they mature in proffesionalism..

Hawthorn Attribute Port Adelaide
24yr 2mth Age 24yr 7mth
73.9 Games 76.7

5 Months in age, 2.8 games difference. Some times age cant be an excuse for everything.

The lack of discipline for the first 5 minutes of the last quarter destroyed us today. It was imperative that we came out and put the pressure on at that point in the game. We gave Port a sniff and they wanted it more. We still overuse the ball and at critical moments our skills let us down.

I have lost count of the number of poorly directed handballs perpetrated by Crawford over the last month as I have lost count of the number of silly free kicks that Taylor has given away.

We need to get back to basics in some areas and do it very quickly.

Hawthorn Attribute Port Adelaide
24yr 2mth Age 24yr 7mth
73.9 Games 76.7

5 Months in age, 2.8 games difference. Some times age cant be an excuse for everything.

no not age...but experiance....

dont forget port have premiership players and a premiership coach..........

people keep forgeting that we have not only an inexperiacne bunch but a inexperiance coach

this is the point that i seem to awlays keep making.........

lets keep this to some perspective please everybody...........

no not age...but experiance....

dont forget port have premiership players and a premiership coach..........

people keep forgeting that we have not only an inexperiacne bunch but a inexperiance coach

this is the point that i seem to awlays keep making.........

lets keep this to some perspective please everybody...........

Mate I understand that, but to say Young teams have no chance in pressure situations because of GF experience is ridiculous. Is this going to be our excuse over the next 3 years for not winning clutch games?

So todays game was grandfinal pressure? That means only Port, Bris, Sydney and WestCoast, and a couple Essendon players can cope in pressure situations, and every team will automaticaly flounder under the pressure.

Not at all, but surely you can make the connection.

Port have a number of players who have played in a number of games with that sort of intensity and importance. By comparison, I'm sure Hawthorn have few.

I was merely pointing out that this probably had more of an impact than age as a point of analysis.

Not at all, but surely you can make the connection.

Port have a number of players who have played in a number of games with that sort of intensity and importance. By comparison, I'm sure Hawthorn have few.

I was merely pointing out that this probably had more of an impact than age as a point of analysis.

I personally think the poor disposal and decision making was the problem. Leaving Chaplin by him self on the 50 was ridiculous. It was simple mistakes, that lost the game, and by no means did these mistakes happen in the last 5 minutes, because they happened all game while the pressure was on and off.

I was so confident at 3 qtr time. I thought in the 3rd qtr that if we could just hold them off while they had the breeze we would be in the box seat. We did hold them off and in fact increased our lead.

We usually finish off games well. It felt like a big choke to me. I didn't see it though, only listened to it on the radio.

I am so disappointed. It is going to be very hard to keep a top 4 spot now. We have to play Bulldogs and Swans, both teams have beaten us this year.

Mate I understand that, but to say Young teams have no chance in pressure situations because of GF experience is ridiculous. Is this going to be our excuse over the next 3 years for not winning clutch games?

no way just for this year...i tell you now if next year we do the same shit then i would personaly ring up hawthorn like i did in 2004 and give them a spray..............

No need to panic, we stuffed up but only lost to 3rd by 5 points. Could easily have won and should have, we will be second or third after next week and go to Sydney with a full head of steam!

I was so confident at 3 qtr time. I thought in the 3rd qtr that if we could just hold them off while they had the breeze we would be in the box seat. We did hold them off and in fact increased our lead.

We usually finish off games well. It felt like a big choke to me. I didn't see it though, only listened to it on the radio.

I am so disappointed. It is going to be very hard to keep a top 4 spot now. We have to play Bulldogs and Swans, both teams have beaten us this year.

if you look at the repeat games this year.......
we beat the siants lost the 2nd

beat the roos lost the 2nd

beat the bombers won the 2nd

beat port lost the 2nd

next 2 games

lost the 1st to both sydney and the doggies

so by saying this i think that we have more to play for and especially after how we lost to sydney and the doggies...

if we cant beat atleast one of those our season is over

Remove this Banner Ad

That game was our season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back