That was beautiful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Nothing went our way.

Hocking subbed off very early in the game.

Atrocious umpiring.

Woeful accuracy in the second half (5.12) compared with our opponent (especially in the final quarter)

Away game - although the crowd was very pro-red & black despite a good showing by the other mob who bring their blue & white gear out of the closet whenever they play Essendon it seems

Still come out on top. Perhaps missing that one game during the NAB Cup took its toll in terms of fitness but inaccuracy was the only feature that cost us a more substantial victory here. It was so predictable though - the arsey goal from Wells in the last quarter, every bounce went their way and all the rest... but 4 VERY handy points in our bank to get the year rolling and they've got 0.

A good week to come. :D

Nothing went our way.

Hocking subbed off very early in the game.

Atrocious umpiring.

Woeful accuracy in the second half (5.12) compared with our opponent (especially in the final quarter)

Away game - although the crowd was very pro-red & black despite a good showing by the other mob who bring their blue & white gear out of the closet whenever they play Essendon it seems

Still come out on top. Perhaps missing that one game during the NAB Cup took its toll in terms of fitness but inaccuracy was the only feature that cost us a more substantial victory here. It was so predictable though - the arsey goal from Wells in the last quarter, every bounce went their way and all the rest... but 4 VERY handy points in our bank to get the year rolling and they've got 0.

A good week to come. :D

Yep too right!

And one twat of theirs comes on here and says it was a "cheap win".

A cheap win was what we gave them last year.

They won't beat any decent side this year AND we won't be seeing any blue and white at our return game (you can be assured of that one).

Oh and I forgot Petrie's 200th game...

North always win the milestone games, you see.

Apparently the bloke kicked 7 goals against Carlton in the NAB Cup and was meant to maul us tonight. I guess if the apparently star studded midfield of North Melbourne could match their allegedly inferior Essendon opponents, it may of been a different story. Oh but wait... Ziebell didn't play. Oh... and neither did Hocking for 99% of the game.

Yep it's fantastic that there are no excuses for Norf. The flipside being Essendon were still able stand up tall with their guts being continually ripped out by the umps.

hocking is making a habit of getting concussed early when we play norf. last years game was the most frustrating for the year, looked like this game was going to be the same. i can wake up tomorrow happy we have the win but very likely we wont be in the 8 after round 1

I didn't care so much about the result, more about how our players will go about playing the Hard, tough, uncomprimising footy and I think we have come a long way in the short time under Hird and Bomber.

Positive for me was how much better Melksham, Zaka and Heppell look compared to the young North mids.

Essendon is becoming a bit of a bogey team for North.

2 of the last 3 now (or 3 of the last 5 if we go a little further back).

Some real concerns for Hobart FC in that they just cannot get over the line against top 8 sides.

Apparently north supporters think they were hard done by the umpiring. I guess when the umps set out to hand you the game and they fail to do so you'd get pissed off, especially when the club is so used to handouts.

Which North supporters?

That was Beautiful! Not going to try and over analyze the game (plenty of other threads on that). First game, 4 points against desperate opponents. Plenty of room for improvement and happy with aspects of the way we played (clearances). Would have been devastated to lose that game and the team should be confident against the next two starters to give us the season beginning we need. Going to be great to bump into the two blokes I know who go for North this week.:D

It was a gorgeous game, went absolutely crazy when I realised the kick missed!

Although I felt kind of bad for the 12 year old girl wearing a North guernsey I saw crying on the train going home... but not the dude outside the stadium who flicked his cigarette at me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't care so much about the result, more about how our players will go about playing the Hard, tough, uncomprimising footy and I think we have come a long way in the short time under Hird and Bomber.

Positive for me was how much better Melksham, Zaka and Heppell look compared to the young North mids.
Agree, Melksham and Heppel in particular showed real class. Zaka... hmmm, defiantly had more of an impact as the game went on, but seemed ?lost? early on.

Just thought Id add that although Crameri didnt score any goals, he did have at least 5 shots on goal (resulting in behinds). Even though he had a bad game, at least he made good efforts and contributed well with pressure. Gotta love the fella!

It sure was. But what's with Murphy's law every time we play them lately? I was almost physically ill at the end I was so enraged that we could actually lose despite playing the pants off them.

It was a gorgeous game, went absolutely crazy when I realised the kick missed!

Although I felt kind of bad for the 12 year old girl wearing a North guernsey I saw crying on the train going home... but not the dude outside the stadium who flicked his cigarette at me.

Nah, bugger her. Shes a lost cause.

Nah, bugger her. Shes a lost cause.

In the underground carpark I saw a family of Norf supporters (a Dad, 2 sons) and an Essendon supporting 12yo daughter

I felt sorry for her, but she must be the brains of the family

My poor 9 year old cousin went to his first loss yesterday ... when I was his age or slightly younger, I was as inconsolable as him after seeing Dean Wallis run down at the G, so I have some empathy for him. Meant my celebration was subdued though because I had to calm the poor kid down*.

*chase him around the stadium so he didn't get lost

Remove this Banner Ad

That was beautiful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back