That'll kill a team

Remove this Banner Ad

You're deluding yourself. Umpires kept the Cats in the game if anything.

Don't talk sense about Freo to a Saints fan, they have this giant complex about their controversial losses to them, it blinds all forms of logic and turns them in posters on a level with Pussies_07_Flag or whatever that dunces name is.

The cockiness of a lot of Cats supporters is really starting to grate, sadly.

Don't take the loud ramblings of so few drown out the fact that most Geelong supporters are still struggling to come to grips with being the best team in football.

Most are humble and have sat through at least 3 more GF losses than wins not to mention

• 1987 (knocked out of the finals on another round 22 result),
  • 1992, 94, 95 (especially '92; you take a four goal lead in a GF you must finish it off),
  • 1993 (if we'd snuck in the finals we would have done serious damage as we were playing the best football in the league over the final 6 weeks and it was the peak season of one of the greatest players ever)
  • 1997 (finished second, played a quality North side in their favourite conditions - under lights at the 'G followed by a heartbreaking semi-final loss played away to the sixth placed Crows)
  • 2004 (almost took revenge for 1997, by having the Lions unfairly sent to Melbourne for the Prelim, Aka held for 90% of the game, got away twice from David Johnson, both times in the 4th for goals in a 10 point win)
  • 2005 (Nick Davis - the ultimate stomach punch, made worse by the fact I was at the game and called it at 3 quarter time)
Real Cats supporters NEVER forget what it's like to be on the wrong side of a tough loss

Are you illiterate.

Fermantle received 30 points added to their scoreboard from Free-kicks.
Are you?

I'm responding to Joffa's statement that the umpires kept Freo in the game.

Geelong - 25 Frees, Freo - 18 Frees.

I'm impartial to the result and IMO the Cats had a pretty good run of the whistle. I don't know how many goals Freo kicked from Frees so I'm not going to dispute it if you say it's 5. More to the point I don't actually care.:p

Are you illiterate.

That were ALL legitimate free kicks.

Unlike a couple of free kicks geelogn were getting. I think Cats missed a goal when Mcpharlin was pinged for hands in the back when he never even touched the guy in the back (in the first term).

I didn't see anything wrong with the free kicks Fremantle got (that led to goals). Perhaps if Milburn didn't go over the shoulder and bartel didn't go high either, you may not be complaining so much. But I forget Geelong is perfect, they never give away free kicks (although apparently they can throw the ball as often as they like).

Stop whinging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for Freo getting 5 goals from free kicks... I'd dare venture that they were all warranted free kicks.

Not wanting to burst the only bubble that some Cats fans are bringing to the argument, but the ones they got inside 50 were there, and if similar incidents happened in your forward 50, you'd have been whinging all week about not getting them.

EDIT: It seems a few knowledgeable posters twigged to this simultaneously.

Are you illiterate.

so which of those free kicks did you feel were poor decisions? That stat means nothing unless they were poor decisions. Maybe the Cats' defence was just undisciplined when under pressure.

I'll point to a free kick that was a poor decision. Ablett's staging in the centre square, which for mine was far worse than Pratt's staging against Lewis a few weeks back. That terrible free kick directly resulted in a quick break and goal.

I must say i never thought of Ablett as a stager before. Very disappointing.

I know i'm a broken record about it, but the sooner all this staging is addressed the better.

EDIT: Sorry, other people got there before me about the frees.

so which of those free kicks did you feel were poor decisions? That stat means nothing unless they were poor decisions. Maybe the Cats' defence was just undisciplined when under pressure.

I'll point to a free kick that was a poor decision. Ablett's staging in the centre square, which for mine was far worse than Pratt's staging against Lewis a few weeks back. That terrible free kick directly resulted in a quick break and goal.

I know i'm a broken record about it, but the sooner all this staging is addressed the better.

Let's get Crowley to elbow you in the guts. See if you don't flutter an eye-lid.

They pushed the boundaries tonight on scragging and dirty tagging. Tim Watson mentioned it also.

EDIT: Sorry, other people got there before me about the frees.

The angle the cameras showed weren't very informative, Carr got reported for it from an ump who was standing on the other side with a better view, seems like it was not as innocent as you made out.

That were ALL legitimate free kicks.

I'm as rare as anyone (I hope) in bagging umpires. Like all games, you concentrate on what you could have done differently not what you can't control.

That's said, the free in the 3rd (?) quarter where the Freo guy slipped and Josh Hunt, who would have tackled him around the pecs, tackled his head was hard to wear.

The other where Milburn's eyes never deviated from the football when he ran with the flight of the ball and spoiled was tough too, admittedly alot more 50/50 than the Josh Hunt tackle.

Remove this Banner Ad

That'll kill a team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back