The 2011 AFL rookie Draft - Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Tundrawolf

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2007
The Den
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Rookie draft is in December and there is still plenty of talent (including talls) on offer:

Ben Brown
Jack Crisp
Shane Nelson
Brody Mihocek
Andrew Boseley
Josh Waldhuter
Haiden Schloithe
Fletcher Roberts
Simon Tunbridge
Myles Bolger
Cam Eardley
Max Duffy
Steven Verrier
Julian Dobosz
Sam Frost
Aseri Raikiwasa
Waylen Manson
Marley Williams
Matthew Jupp
Alex Howard
Lee Spurr
Kyal Horsley

The bolded names are my prefered players, if we could snag a couple of those names I would be quite happy.

Name your preferences?

Simon Tunbridge
Gibson Turner
Kyle Horsley
Sam Frost
Ben Darrou
Aseri Raikiwasa
Steven Verrier
Justin Clarke
Ryan Cook
Damien Mascitti
James Wall
Alroy Gilligan
Roland Ah Chee
Alex Devitt
Matthew Jupp

I think all of these are realistic options for us at some point.

Bosely, Nelson and Mihocek will be gone before our first pick IMO, and I predict we'll leave Tunbridge (effectively handing him to WCE) and we'll take Justin Clarke with our first pick.

Add Jack Frost, Nick Murphy, Fletcher Roberts, Dylan Orval. Kyle Hartigan, Miles Sewell, Alex Howard

I deliberately left Sewell and Hartigan off the list, as I just cant see either of them being wanted by a club, particularly Sewell, and I would have thought if Hartigan doesn't get a gig this year he never will.

One guy I did forget about and am a fan of is Tassie boy Aaron Hall.

Simon Tunbridge
Gibson Turner
Kyle Horsley
Sam Frost
Ben Darrou
Aseri Raikiwasa
Steven Verrier
Justin Clarke
Ryan Cook
Damien Mascitti
James Wall
Alroy Gilligan
Roland Ah Chee
Alex Devitt
Matthew Jupp

I think all of these are realistic options for us at some point.

Bosely, Nelson and Mihocek will be gone before our first pick IMO, and I predict we'll leave Tunbridge (effectively handing him to WCE) and we'll take Justin Clarke with our first pick.

Who is Justin Clarke ?? and secondly why would we select him when it is likely that Tunbridge,Cook,Horsley,Busher types would still be available at our first pick (#8)

Who is Justin Clarke ?? and secondly why would we select him when it is likely that Tunbridge,Cook,Horsley,Busher types would still be available at our first pick (#8)

If we took Clarke before the guys you've mentioned I'd say it'd be because we think he's better than them :confused:

What a strange question. Why did we select Sheridan when Tunbridge, Cook, Horsely etc were still available?

after a draft like the one just gone, I can't see why you go with the Horsley / Cook /Spur types as rookies. Much better to go all out on potential forward / ruck types like Ben Brown, Sam Frost and Waylen Manson.

after a draft like the one just gone, I can't see why you go with the Horsley / Cook /Spur types as rookies. Much better to go all out on potential forward / ruck types like Ben Brown, Sam Frost and Waylen Manson.

I agree with Horsley and Cook but I rate Spurr.

For me it would be:

Manson
Frost
Boseley
Spurr
Schloite
Busher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No use complaining about no tall kps picks in the ND, Geelong have not had a top ten pick for years, they recruited mature agers in Pods, Taylor for depth, this year a 29 year old ruckman.
I would like to see two kps players selected by Freo at the least, our weakest line will be defence, with Grover slowing down and McPharlin approaching thirty.Dawson sounds like a more mature Roberton type.
We need to groom someone to play on the gorilla type forwards.
All is not lost, as Geelong who were suppose to slide this year proved.

To be perfectly honest not many, they used to put me to sleep.
If dawson can play on the power forwards great, most of the top teams have a two pronged attack, sometimes three talls.
I would like to see someone recruited with some size and mass, instead of the tall, skilled, skinny types we seem to love.

No use complaining about no tall kps picks in the ND, Geelong have not had a top ten pick for years, they recruited mature agers in Pods, Taylor for depth, this year a 29 year old ruckman.
I would like to see two kps players selected by Freo at the least, our weakest line will be defence, with Grover slowing down and McPharlin approaching thirty.Dawson sounds like a more mature Roberton type.
We need to groom someone to play on the gorilla type forwards.
All is not lost, as Geelong who were suppose to slide this year proved.

Agree about Geelong - they prove you can bring big bodied players in to play roles.

Disagree about us being weak in defence - with McPharlin, Silvagni, Grover, Dawson, McPhee and Anthony?, we won't be thin next year. The defence will also have a game plan in 2012, unlike this year when we didn't have one anywhere on the park.

BTW Dawson's played full back in Grand Finals - a "Roberton type" he ain't.

If we have injuries to Grover, Mcpharlin, Silvagni, then we will require depth.Roger retired earlier than expected, happens every year.
We have plenty of players who can take the third tall, power forwards are a different kettle of fish.
A mature big bodied player would be a wise investment, look at wet toast,
a forward line of Kennedy, Lynch, Darling, Lycett, Nicnat, Cox, McInnes.

If we have injuries to Grover, Mcpharlin, Silvagni, then we will require depth.Roger retired earlier than expected, happens every year.
We have plenty of players who can take the third tall, power forwards are a different kettle of fish.
A mature big bodied player would be a wise investment, look at wet toast,
a forward line of Kennedy, Lynch, Darling, Lycett, Nicnat, Cox, McInnes.

Let's turn it around and have a look at it the other way;

In the same way that you say if we have injuries to 3 of our tall defenders, what would happen if WC have injuries to 3 of their tall defenders, say Glass, Scofield and McKenzie, what happens? Did you see what Riewoldt did when they were just missing Glass?

Mate, if any team has injuries at the same time to key players they're screwed. The lists just don't have the depth these days to cover for that happening and it'll get worse with another extra team in the system.

Let's turn it around and have a look at it the other way;

In the same way that you say if we have injuries to 3 of our tall defenders, what would happen if WC have injuries to 3 of their tall defenders, say Glass, Scofield and McKenzie, what happens? Did you see what Riewoldt did when they were just missing Glass?

Mate, if any team has injuries at the same time to key players they're screwed. The lists just don't have the depth these days to cover for that happening and it'll get worse with another extra team in the system.

Interesting point, with the talent being spread so much with the new teams coming in, keeping a healthy list is more important than ever.

Dawson is more than capable of taking the power forward.

I don't know about "more than capable", competant maybe. However with McPharlin and Silvagni taking the two big forwards I think Zac will excel taking a third tall, there will be less pressure on him. I would agree though that our defence, at least for the short time, is definitely a strength. Broughton is also a classy small defender when he plays there and Groves will acquit himself as well as always in what will be his final year.

All im saying is I would like us to replace a Tarrant type of player, one on one rarely beaten.
Wet toast also have Mcgovern, Brennan, Hamp, on their list.
It will be interesting which recruiting model will succeed, Geelong have also gone for size.

If we took Clarke before the guys you've mentioned I'd say it'd be because we think he's better than them :confused:

What a strange question. Why did we select Sheridan when Tunbridge, Cook, Horsely etc were still available?

Dont think its a strange question when you are the only person I have seen mention Clarkes name ,Sheridan was expected to be top 20 so no surprizes there .
Can you expand on why you think Freo will get J.Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2011 AFL rookie Draft - Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Back