Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm guessing they'd just drummed up some faux excitement during the previous few balls or they got an exciting tweet? Seems random even for Healy.

I might have been overselling the screaming part, but it was still too boisterous for what the 'occasion' deserved.

One of the things I don't like about the overly-patriotic commentators is the way they're constantly barracking about what Australia 'needs to do' rather than calling what's actually happening evenly for both teams.

I think one of the earliest balls of the day summed up Healy nicely. The bowler pitches it up on the stumps and the batsman plays a forward defensive shot.

"YESSSSS!!!!! THAT'S IT!!!! MAKE THEM PLAY AT IT!!!!" Healy screams, as if an Aussie has just kicked the winning goal in the soccer world cup final.
If it was Starc bowling it would make sense though. Doesn't happen often

Ian Healy just said the followings after a Watson short ball.

- Watson has done well...definitely.
- Vijay might retire for the night because he could be tired
- Vijay might come back tomorrow fresh if he does that

Solid analysis

Edit: he just said he's come good now and doesn't need to retire from being tired.

It's time like this I'm very, very happy with the Star Sports crew, always insightful comments from Manjrekar, Gavaskar, Dravid, Hayden and Warne, to name a few.

Can't remember who it was.
Short ball, Vijay takes his eyes off the ball, it hits the top of the handle and loops straight up but just out of reach of a fielder.
"He's played that well"
Yeah, nah

:) Yes, I get confused sometimes with that comment. I remember Quiney trying to smash the ball out of the park once and hitting it down the throat of the fielder on the boundary, and all the commentators would say was "He was unlucky because he hit it really well". There I was thinking the object was to hit the ball where the fieldsman isn't.

Have they dumped Brayshaw?

It's a strange one for me with Brayshaw. I can't really fault what he says, he has a very sound knowledge of the game, but there's just something in his manner that annoys me. I found him the same when I had to deal with him in the SA grade system. Appreciated his knowledge, didn't care much for him as a person.

I think one of the earliest balls of the day summed up Healy nicely. The bowler pitches it up on the stumps and the batsman plays a forward defensive shot.

"YESSSSS!!!!! THAT'S IT!!!! MAKE THEM PLAY AT IT!!!!" Healy screams, as if an Aussie has just kicked the winning goal in the soccer world cup final.

I know this MUST have been raised before, but Healy's already the winner of the stupid comment of the summer award when an Indian bowler bowled a no-ball in Adelaide, and Healy shouted "FREE HIT!!". Sorry Heals ... it's a Test Match? :)

It's a strange one for me with Brayshaw. I can't really fault what he says, he has a very sound knowledge of the game, but there's just something in his manner that annoys me. I found him the same when I had to deal with him in the SA grade system. Appreciated his knowledge, didn't care much for him as a person.
I think his style of commentating is just what we're used to in fast paced AFL games, so hearing it in a Test match is just really jarring at times.

:) Yes, I get confused sometimes with that comment. I remember Quiney trying to smash the ball out of the park once and hitting it down the throat of the fielder on the boundary, and all the commentators would say was "He was unlucky because he hit it really well". There I was thinking the object was to hit the ball where the fieldsman isn't.
The best 9 in the history of cricket.

Ian Healy just said the followings after a Watson short ball.

- Watson has done well...definitely.
- Vijay might retire for the night because he could be tired
- Vijay might come back tomorrow fresh if he does that

Solid analysis

Edit: he just said he's come good now and doesn't need to retire from being tired.

Yeah, they just contradict themselves constantly. It shows they're just filling space rather than actually using this so-called wealth of cricket knowledge they've got.

Yesterday they were crapping on about how Hazlewood was all over the shop and needed to be more consistent. Nek minnit he gets Kohli and they're all "he's bowled consistently all day Josh Hazlewood". Can't remember which ******* said it.

Healy is the biggest dickhead of a commentator in the history of Australian sport, I seriously can't think of anyone worse.
198511.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know exactly what you mean, he always sounds so smug or something.

Sweeeeet. Radio I oredered arrived. No more Channel nine commentators. Currently radio is about 1 sec in front of the TV but I can work through that for now.

For some reason my TV has a pause button, but on resume it just goes straight back to the current position so you can't timeshift. Why anyone would do that is beyond me. I can work something out, but for now being slightly out is better than listening to nine ****heads.

This is the TV - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-e.../soniq/soniq-e32w13a-32-hd-led-lcd-tv/398092/

There must be a device where you can delay an aerial signal ?

Sweeeeet. Radio I oredered arrived. No more Channel nine commentators. Currently radio is about 1 sec in front of the TV but I can work through that for now.

For some reason my TV has a pause button, but on resume it just goes straight back to the current position so you can't timeshift. Why anyone would do that is beyond me. I can work something out, but for now being slightly out is better than listening to nine ****heads.

This is the TV - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-e.../soniq/soniq-e32w13a-32-hd-led-lcd-tv/398092/

There must be a device where you can delay an aerial signal ?

Just pause your digital radio quickly and you'll be laughing.

Slater and Healy are the worst of the bunch. Just dribble shit and sound especially terrible when they try to sound excited. Brayshaw has some bizarre sayings, but brings more to the table than the aforementioned two morons and is just about tolerable.

The 3aw commentary is a few seconds ahead of the tv, which is handy in the way that it obviously gives you time to look at the telly if something happens.

While I'm here: Ian Chappell is also commentating on 3aw/Fairfax (along with other stations around the country, I gather), and he's noticeably different; more casual, and tells more of the grouse old stories. I realise that radio is more loose, but still....,

Last edited:
I listen to the Fairfax call (6pr) whenever at work. Like it a bit more than the ABC nowadays. Nice, eclectic combination of commentators, not just the boys club which channel nine had. Of course, the only downside is the plugging of sponsors, but that is to be expected.

Listen to a lot of sport on 6pr radio when driving around in Perth, i can't stand Greg Matthews commentary, he actually makes me feel ill, so i turn to the ABC

I'm watching the game with the ABC commentary. For the last 20 minutes or so, Ch9 has apparently been assessing Ian Chappell's dress sense. Do they not realise the level of contempt in which they're held?

I'm watching the game with the ABC commentary. For the last 20 minutes or so, Ch9 has apparently been assessing Ian Chappell's dress sense. Do they not realise the level of contempt in which they're held?
So much better.

And as an added bonus I never thought that of course they will have a TV in the box so the Radio commentary often matches what's been shown on the TV, such as when Steve Smith series scores came on the screen before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Back