Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Wickets. They're wickets, not poles.
This one is interesting. I have no idea where this term came from. All I know is suddenly the word "pole" was being used by just about anyone in grade cricket back in the late 90s, early 2000s. I wouldn't necessarily blame commentators for this, the cricketers use that term all the time.

Liked Chappell's story about being next in line to bat and the guy after you has his pads on. He said he hated it because he felt like they were showing a lack of faith in him staying in.

"It was a bit uncomfortable telling them to take them off sometimes, luckily it was usually my brother batting next so I could tell him what to do no worries,"

Chappelli's anecdotes, provided that he hasn't told the story before can add a lot to the viewers experience IMO. My issue with him is his disdain for the opposition side every summer and as mentioned, cricketers like Cowan who don't fit 'the mould'. I remember him being apoplectic with the South Africans late on day four of the 2012 Adelaide test for not trying to chase down the 500 or whatever it was, they ended up seeing off the Australian attack reasonably convincingly and saved the match.

I have a fundamental disagreement with his approach as I think sometimes, you have to concede that you are not in a position of strength so that you can claw back to level pegging. Once there you can worry about domination. Clearly, his views are endorsed by CA in the way the team has been run over the past few of years and perhaps justifiably so given the way we've pulverised mentally weak sides like England of 2013 and India in 2011 at home. But when a challenge comes up such as the sub-continent we've looked utterly ridiculous due to our refusal to adapt to a more defensive gameplan and throwing in guys like Maxwell solely for their aggression.

The wooden objects at each end of the pitch are called stumps. A set of three stumps topped with two bails is called a wicket.
Ha, that reminds me: Hookesy would be rolling in his grave every time someone calls the pitch the "wicket". He hated it. He used to say: "a 'wicket' is one of those wooden things that gets hammered into the pitch"
:)

So much this. Listen along, they announce a wicket/edge/big boundary and it gives you time to look up and watch it.
Yeah, it's good if I'm potting around the house, not necessarily glued to the tv, so I've got about 3 seconds to sprint to lounge room if something happens.

Last edited:
Chappelli's anecdotes, provided that he hasn't told the story before can add a lot to the viewers experience IMO. My issue with him is his disdain for the opposition side every summer and as mentioned, cricketers like Cowan who don't fit 'the mould'. I remember him being apoplectic with the South Africans late on day four of the 2012 Adelaide test for not trying to chase down the 500 or whatever it was, they ended up seeing off the Australian attack reasonably convincingly and saved the match.
Holding on by 2 tailed wickets is not my idea of convincing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, it's good if I'm potting around the house, not necessarily glued to the tv, so I've got about 3 seconds to sprint to loung room if something happens.

I do this too. Can't really justify sitting on my bum all day glued to the telly but don't like to miss anything exciting, TV on mute and radio on is the perfect solution :thumbsu: (I do usually park myself in front of the TV for at least part of one of the sessions though :$ )

I do this too. Can't really justify sitting on my bum all day glued to the telly but don't like to miss anything exciting, TV on mute and radio on is the perfect solution :thumbsu: (I do usually park myself in front of the TV for at least part of one of the sessions though :$ )
One of those VB watches might be for you!

Posted this on the 'game day' thread but really more appropriate here.

Really sh*&s me that they cut off the telecast so soon after it's finished :mad: How about a few more interviews, some highlights and analysis? And yet they waffle on for an hour before play starts, I don't get it :confused: Flicked on the radio and Mark Nicholas was interviewing the captains and they will have another half hour of analysis etc. after the 6pm news. In particular when the test finishes before the scheduled finish of play, why wouldn't they continue the coverage for a bit longer? It's a no brainer for mine. Much better than the one hour of waffle before play starts.

Posted this on the 'game day' thread but really more appropriate here.

Really sh*&s me that they cut off the telecast so soon after it's finished :mad: How about a few more interviews, some highlights and analysis? And yet they waffle on for an hour before play starts, I don't get it :confused: Flicked on the radio and Mark Nicholas was interviewing the captains and they will have another half hour of analysis etc. after the 6pm news. In particular when the test finishes before the scheduled finish of play, why wouldn't they continue the coverage for a bit longer? It's a no brainer for mine. Much better than the one hour of waffle before play starts.

Agree - That is just Bloody Stupid.

Though they can’t let CH7 get the News Before Ch9

Agree - That is just Bloody Stupid.

Though they can’t let CH7 get the News Before Ch9

Why not use GO or GEM of that's what they are worried about. In any case, today it finished before 6pm and they would have gone through to 6.30pm if play had continued.

Why not use GO or GEM of that's what they are worried about. In any case, today it finished before 6pm and they would have gone through to 6.30pm if play had continued.

Guess - They think that it be a Waste of Time putting in on Gem for 10-15 Minutes and Don’t want to mess up there TV Schedule

Because of my location I'm getting the Starsports commentary ($15 for the four tests-excellent value, take note Foxtel) which has an Indian flavour obviously but also have heard from Warne, Taylor and Slater as well as regularly from Damien Martyn, Dean Jones and Matthew Hayden. Hayden is execrable and Dean Jones is a waffler but at least there's alternative voices. In Adelaide the very excellent Wasim Akram was on unfortunately not there in Brisbane. They mix up the commentators so some days you might hear a certain voice only once or not all, sometimes three on the mic, other times two. The other thing I like is while there are ads between overs there seems to be no on-air promotions by commentators and no flogging of dodgy merchandise for overinflated prices. Solid 8 out of 10 for their coverage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Back