Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

What does chappell think of dhoni?

Hang on,he'll let us know when he's next on.I'm sure he'll find some reason to rant about him.

I wonder if Greg didn't get along with Dhoni when he coached India.Maybe Greg has said something to Ian about him because Ian sure has a massive bug up his butt over Dhoni.

Well, I have to say it's devastated me, and my family. My kids. My hairdresser, my poodle.. The low standard of commentary on offer this year. It's offended all of us, and I don't actually know how we'll recover.

I'm genuinely depressed when I sit down for one of my three days off in a row, open a VB and settle in on the couch, and hear nicknames, or someone getting excited, or someone talking about non-cricket topics, or someone telling old cricket stories. All I want to do is watch the cricket accompanied by a low, deep, perhaps deadpan voice that only calls the game. But no, the entire world is against me, and they're all annoying. I even woke up in a cold sweat because I was having night terrors the other night, because the commentary just isn't right.

I muted the telecast and put the ABC radio on, and it felt so amazing, It was so liberating. I stuck it to the whole team. They would be distraught to learn that a middle aged bloke with a five o clock shadow and an epic gut chose not to listen to them. They would be saddened to learn that someone who rests, gut hanging, floating in and out of actual thought, would choose to make them, the actual former cricketers, the object of his disdain.

But you know what? I have. So there. I urge anyone who is of the opinion that almost all of the 9 commentators are crap, to turn off and seek the green pastures of the ABC - because that is where they are all awesome, and I can enjoy my beers without my entire life being ruined.

The correct terminology is batsmen/batsman. Annoys the hell out of me when people say batters.
Yeah, I think of either baseball or cooking when I hear the term.

Mind you, generational change in commentators seems to mean the new breed think they have to change terminology.

Eg -
We now have a wicket, deck or track instead of pitch
We don't get movement or swing any more, we get "shape"
The ball now "decks" off the pitch, once upon a time it used to cut or seam

And so on.

So what do you use when watching womens cricket?

Inb4 nobody watches womens cricket.
I still say batsman. To me batsman doesn't mean "man", it's just the name of the role of batting.

Mind you, generational change in commentators seems to mean the new breed think they have to change terminology.

Eg -

And so on.
Agreed, batters is a baseball term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eg -

And so on.
All of these terms are used by all grades of cricketers every week. I don't actually have a problem with them being used. Language evolves all the time.
Side note. I still despise Slater and Healy. Just saying

All of these terms are used by all grades of cricketers every week. I don't actually have a problem with them being used. Language evolves all the time.
Side note. I still despise Slater and Healy. Just saying
I don't view it as evolution, I view it as change for change's sake.

"Back of a length" is another one. Apparently "short of a length" was too ambiguous. :rolleyes:

Well, I have to say it's devastated me, and my family. My kids. My hairdresser, my poodle.. The low standard of commentary on offer this year. It's offended all of us, and I don't actually know how we'll recover.

I'm genuinely depressed when I sit down for one of my three days off in a row, open a VB and settle in on the couch, and hear nicknames, or someone getting excited, or someone talking about non-cricket topics, or someone telling old cricket stories. All I want to do is watch the cricket accompanied by a low, deep, perhaps deadpan voice that only calls the game. But no, the entire world is against me, and they're all annoying. I even woke up in a cold sweat because I was having night terrors the other night, because the commentary just isn't right.

I muted the telecast and put the ABC radio on, and it felt so amazing, It was so liberating. I stuck it to the whole team. They would be distraught to learn that a middle aged bloke with a five o clock shadow and an epic gut chose not to listen to them. They would be saddened to learn that someone who rests, gut hanging, floating in and out of actual thought, would choose to make them, the actual former cricketers, the object of his disdain.

But you know what? I have. So there. I urge anyone who is of the opinion that almost all of the 9 commentators are crap, to turn off and seek the green pastures of the ABC - because that is where they are all awesome, and I can enjoy my beers without my entire life being ruined.

Agree wholeheartedly with your first couple of paragraphs. I seriously cannot listen to this pack of jokers anymore, & that ****ing Brayshaw makes me want to destroy my tv. & I love that tv.

Really is criminal there is no alternative coverage, ABC or whoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Back