Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Of the lot of 'em, the only ones that are reasonable to listen to are Hussey and Taylor.

Slater is an idiot.
Healy just rambles and makes no sense at all.
Chappell, is well Chappell. Still goes on about the 70's and when he was captain
Nicholas is the 9 equivalent for Bwuce.
Mike Hussey has been good to listen to, Tubby has his moments! but it depends who he is teamed up with

Yep correct, geez the ABC commentary shits all over them. And as much as Kerry O'Keeffe is a clown sometimes (and ******* funny) he really knows the game well and is great at increasing your knowledge while listening to him. You can tell he watches a shitload of cricket even still, whereas I don't think a lot of the Ch 9 blokes do.
didn't Kerry O Keeiffe, retire earlier this years from calling the cricket? the ABC has gone down hill in recent years, one of the main reasons is Geoff Lawson. he has cricket knowledge, but its the happenings on what is happening in NSW! no one cares what the Hurstville 3rds are doing! or how long they cut the grass as Northgate cricket ground, because of the new pitch they installed!

That one quote sums up what's wrong with today's commentary.

Not the fact that there is one major lake in Canberra - and he managed to guess the name - but the fact that he'd done zero preparation in terms of anything that would make the commentary effective or interesting.

Australian commentators today - cricket and football - pretty much turn up, verbally vomit some yarns from yesteryear for a couple of hours, cheer for their favourites, crack some in-jokes with their mates, then go home. They add nothing to what you're already seeing. And this is despite them being selected for their "deep knowledge of the game".
Geoff Lawson is always prepared! well if you want to know anything about cricket in NSW, he is very knowledgeable in that field! but nothing else

didn't Kerry O Keeiffe, retire earlier this years from calling the cricket? the ABC has gone down hill in recent years, one of the main reasons is Geoff Lawson. he has cricket knowledge, but its the happenings on what is happening in NSW! no one cares what the Hurstville 3rds are doing! or how long they cut the grass as Northgate cricket ground, because of the new pitch they installed!

Yep he did and it was a great loss that's for sure. And Geoff Lawson is a ****wit, he is definitely the low point of that commentary team.

The unfortunate reality is the commentators are basically channel nine marketers now.

good post. an interesting concept. as we know, and its not restrained to nein, commentators and the like are notorious in promoting their stations tv shows etc. but its also done in the States (and probably other countries). for example, watching the NBA, they do it too. however, its done in a non offensive manner - quick, to the point, move onto the game.

good post. an interesting concept. as we know, and its not restrained to nein, commentators and the like are notorious in promoting their stations tv shows etc. but its also done in the States (and probably other countries). for example, watching the NBA, they do it too. however, its done in a non offensive manner - quick, to the point, move onto the game.
Sometimes I wonder if this is due to familiarity of the shows being advertised.

Watching NFL - "Don't forget this Sunday is the new episode of Kansas City Mom's" an Australia viewer probably just tunes out and doesn't notice it, or doesn't find it annoying cause at no other time we see this show advertised.

Cricket - "Don't forget this Sunday is the final episode of the Block" and we think 'oooo for ****s sake more advertising for the ****ing block' :mad::mad::mad::mad:

But then of course I don't know if it explains common shows to both countries, or even different shows which share the same name (Idol, 60 minutes, Got talent etc,.)

Sometimes I wonder if this is due to familiarity of the shows being advertised.

Watching NFL - "Don't forget this Sunday is the new episode of Kansas City Mom's" an Australia viewer probably just tunes out and doesn't notice it, or doesn't find it annoying cause at no other time we see this show advertised.

Cricket - "Don't forget this Sunday is the final episode of the Block" and we think 'oooo for ****s sake more advertising for the ******* block' :mad::mad::mad::mad:

But then of course I don't know if it explains common shows to both countries, or even different shows which share the same name (Idol, 60 minutes, Got talent etc,.)

NFL commentators don't spend the next 2 minutes pretending they watch the show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

does any one know why Ian Chappell is calling the cricket on the radio for fairfax instead on TV for nine?
Think Nine only use him for Tests now and have the last couple of seasons.They use the young hip commentators like JB,Slats,Lee,Hussey & co for the pyjama game.

When will Slater grow a set of balls and actually name the player Smith should've played ahead of in the opening game ?
Everyone else knows who it should've been instead of,so why not say it Slats ?

Never thought I'd rather listen to Healy over anyone, but slater has sunk below his level now imo.

Just stick to calling the cricket. If you don't do that either a) make sure you're funny and entertaining enough to get away with it ala O'keefe or Bumble or b) find another career.

I wish you could mute individual commentators somehow...that would be perfect
I made a similar point earlier on.

I'd like to have the whole bloody lot of them muted and simply be able to listen to the sound effects from the ground.

Make it happen Channel 9.

Nine are way ahead of you.

That's rather acute. With the Three Stooges, someone would say to them 'are you the plumbers?' and even though they weren't they'd say yes, then wreck that someone's bathroom.

When Slats, Tubbs and Heals are on together, it is like someone has gone up to three men in the street and siad 'Are you the commentators?: and even though they aren't, they've said yes and gone into the box and proceeded to make a complete balls-up of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Back