Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

James Brayshaw seems to always be talking. Always in the box, dribbling insufferable drivel.

Brayshaw is like an ATM surcharge for 'non bank customers': petty, insignificant, yet intensely annoying and capable of generating much hate.

Why are these commentators waffling on about "How hard it must be to back up after a game 2 nights ago" ?
For years teams played one dayers on a friday then sunday in places like WA,SA & QLD.Before that there were even games on a saturday & sunday.

BTW Tests go for 5 days in a row,so how do they cope getting through that ?

Why are these commentators waffling on about "How hard it must be to back up after a game 2 nights ago" ?
For years teams played one dayers on a friday then sunday in places like WA,SA & QLD.Before that there were even games on a saturday & sunday.

BTW Tests go for 5 days in a row,so how do they cope getting through that ?
Especially when the likes of Maxwell play all of 5 minutes at the crease. That reverse sweep really took the wind out of him.

James Brayshaw seems to always be talking. Always in the box, dribbling insufferable drivel.

Brayshaw is like an ATM surcharge for 'non bank customers': petty, insignificant, yet intensely annoying and capable of generating much hate.

The thing is he seems like a good bloke compared to the other ****wits in the commentary box in the cricket, says volumes about the campaigners who call the game.

Never thought I'd rather listen to Healy over anyone, but slater has sunk below his level now imo.

Just stick to calling the cricket. If you don't do that either a) make sure you're funny and entertaining enough to get away with it ala O'keefe or Bumble or b) find another career.

I will continually post this as a reminder to all re: the banality of Slater.

Bill Lawry was honoured by the Cricket Victoria a few years ago for his 50 year involvement with Victorian Cricket at the Lindsay Hasset Club lunch at the MCG. The show was great and featured plenty of tributes and roasting, with the highlight being the late Tony Greig and Bill totally unplugged and calling it as they saw it. The best line/story was this.....

Michael Slater was doing a test gig in the Com Box that unfortunately was deemed successful so that he later joined the team. After his first on air stint he came out of the box and was buzzing like he'd just guzzled a dozen red bulls and was carrying on about how great it was and how long has this been going on etc, etc.

Bill's answer was, "know something about the game for a start you twit!"...........

The room erupted

Never thought I'd rather listen to Healy over anyone, but slater has sunk below his level now imo.

Just stick to calling the cricket. If you don't do that either a) make sure you're funny and entertaining enough to get away with it ala O'keefe or Bumble or b) find another career.

Healy at least can be interesting when he's talking about keeping stuff....It's good especially with a "new" keeper like Wade or Paine, where he goes into detail about their technique, hand and body positions, etc....

But Slats has just become insufferable with his "ooooohhh Davey Warner, that the most brutal and exciting 0 you ever saw!!" crap.

Bill Lawry was honoured by the Cricket Victoria a few years ago for his 50 year involvement with Victorian Cricket at the Lindsay Hasset Club lunch at the MCG. The show was great and featured plenty of tributes and roasting, with the highlight being the late Tony Greig and Bill totally unplugged and calling it as they saw it. The best line/story was this.....

Michael Slater was doing a test gig in the Com Box that unfortunately was deemed successful so that he later joined the team. After his first on air stint he came out of the box and was buzzing like he'd just guzzled a dozen red bulls and was carrying on about how great it was and how long has this been going on etc, etc.

Bill's answer was, "know something about the game for a start you twit!"...........

The room erupted
Would've loved to have seen that. Ah how I wish for the days when people's biggest complaint about the commentators was tony greig giving it to us.

MisterMarcus absolutely correct. Healy isn't good to listen to but when he talks keeping, it's actually going to be a decent insight. It's not much but at least he offers something in some department. Slater can't or won't do that with batting.

The amazing thing is the difference in tubby's commentating level. He's really good with Nicholas and lee and bill etc. He gets led astray with Healy but I'm not as critical on that pairing as some on here. They still do ok when the third is someone good. With slater and jb he unfortunately drops to the boys club level very quickly. I think he'd be suited perfectly to the sky team over in the UK.

With the elder statesmen like Richie and Bill gone, the lunatics are running the asylum so that even someone decent can become corrupted. Taylor is a good example when he's paired with someone not named Slater or Healy or Brayshaw he is at least decent but gets dragged along with the inanities of those muppets when he's with them.

Hussey has been a breath of fresh air mainly because he is intent on discussing the game but too often he's swimming against the tide. During the MCG match, Slater (I think, might have been Healy) raised the incredibly relevant topic of where Hussey proposed to his missus when they showed a long distance shot of the G which took in a part of St Kilda. As they cut to a commercial at the end of the over Hussey said something along the lines of nobody wants to hear about that but next over what do we have, that long shit with scribble over it and Slater carrying on like a chipmunk on acid about where did you ask her, what moves did you make and other nonsense. It was clear Hussey didn't want to talk about it but short of clubbing his co-commentators in the head with a Gray Nicholls he had little choice but to go along with it.

I don't know when it happened but the TV broadcasters in this country came to believe that the sporting public want to be entertained by the commentators and have moved away from developing guys with insight into the game and replaced with them with shrieking banshees that offer the insight of one of those monkeys that gets trapped trying to get food out of a hole because they're too stupid to just let go of what they're holding. Also they've decided that the more commentating at the same time the better.

The room erupted

Any others?

Is it bad that I'm absolutely terrified of how Slats, Heals and the rest will handle Hughes' passing throughout this summer?

I can see myself cringing even more then usual.

I think Nicholas, Taylor, Hussey and Lee will handle it well. The others ... ?

Is it bad that I'm absolutely terrified of how Slats, Heals and the rest will handle Hughes' passing throughout this summer?

I can see myself cringing even more then usual.

I was going to post something like this.

I do worry that they'll pile on the sentimentality too much, and insert a clunky Hughes reference for every shot/run/wicket/catch, to the point where it becomes mawkish....

I hope it's handled with dignity and class. But I can totally see Slats coming up with "Davey Warner hit that cut shot for 4 in memory of Hughesy!!!" or "Clarkey would exchange 50 runs for 50 years of his little mate's life!!" humdingers every 2 minutes......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to post something like this.

I do worry that they'll pile on the sentimentality too much, and insert a clunky Hughes reference for every shot/run/wicket/catch, to the point where it becomes mawkish....

I hope it's handled with dignity and class. But I can totally see Slats coming up with "Davey Warner hit that cut shot for 4 in memory of Hughesy!!!" or "Clarkey would exchange 50 runs for 50 years of his little mate's life!!" humdingers every 2 minutes......
I think you're both doing them a disservice. I have no doubt all the over the top stuff is from the producers. But they're cricketers. And they would have all known him personally. They'll handle this with the respect it deserves.

I think you're both doing them a disservice. I have no doubt all the over the top stuff is from the producers. But they're cricketers. And they would have all known him personally. They'll handle this with the respect it deserves.

this is slater you're talking about. he doesn't need producers telling him to act like a teenage boy seeing a naked female for the first time.

Any others?
It was a classic day and with the passing of Tony and Richie struggling to make it to Xmas, one that I continue to treasure. Both came across as genuine good blokes who loved the 12th Man and the fact they he took the piss out of them. Tony was sensational and they told heaps of stories about who close to the truth Billy Birmingham really was. Tony never took a backward step but admitted he may have crossed the line a few times telling the West Indies he was going to make them grovel and his comments on the mail order bride in Adelaide.

The commentators will do dignity to Phil Hughes, his family and the game. I'm sure their will be moments of sadness but also moments where his life, impacts and achievements will be celebrated.

Living in the UK, I still hear what I consider proper commentary plus good analysis all the time, especially on the radio. But I'm a traditionalist. I don't want the commentators to make it about themselves and I don't want relentless ads and cheerleading by the commentary teams but that's what so much of it has come to.

True about Sunny Gavaskar, certainly now anyway. He used to be a wonderful commentator. Great voice for it and took cricket so seriously but he's been thoroughly hijacked by being on the BCCI payroll.

Living in the UK, I still hear what I consider proper commentary plus good analysis all the time, especially on the radio. But I'm a traditionalist. I don't want the commentators to make it about themselves and I don't want relentless ads and cheerleading by the commentary teams but that's what so much of it has come to.

True about Sunny Gavaskar, certainly now anyway. He used to be a wonderful commentator. Great voice for it and took cricket so seriously but he's been thoroughly hijacked by being on the BCCI payroll.
Shastri ditto.

Pommie Mbangwa and Danny Morrison two of the better commentators going, they walk all over anything CH 9 brings to the table.
David Lloyd throw him in there well and Tony Cozier of course.

Apart from the gold old days of Lawry, Benaud and Greig together - the new crop from the last decade or so are a farce. Brayshaw, Slater are horrendous to listen too.

All I want from the channel nine team is to behave in a professional manner. That's all I ever want but some of them don't do that normally apart from Lawry, Nicholas and Mike Hussey. I'm feeling VERY dubious about their ability to commentate with delicacy once the tests start.

There is gonna be dozens of "that one was for hughesy" over the summer

Yes slats and heals we know that was. Phil Hughes will be right at the forefront of the guys minds all summer, and indeed for a lot longer. By telling us that you are not actually adding anything to what we are seeing. And what does Richie say about doing that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Back