Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Living in the UK, I still hear what I consider proper commentary plus good analysis all the time, especially on the radio. But I'm a traditionalist. I don't want the commentators to make it about themselves and I don't want relentless ads and cheerleading by the commentary teams but that's what so much of it has come to.

True about Sunny Gavaskar, certainly now anyway. He used to be a wonderful commentator. Great voice for it and took cricket so seriously but he's been thoroughly hijacked by being on the BCCI payroll.

Sunny at least did have a go at Dhoni's poor Captaincy.

"that one doesn't take the cake, it takes the bakery" about Dhoni's field placings in New Zealand when McCullum scored 300

Could be difficult to commentate in a match in Melbourne whilst playing in Sydney in the evening

True but he could do the ones he is in the state and they don't play every day anyway- not as if the matches are in Perth

True but he could do the ones he is in the state and they don't play every day anyway- not as if the matches are in Perth

I think he has professional requirements to the team he is contracted to. Such as attending training sessions

I think he has professional requirements to the team he is contracted to. Such as attending training sessions

You could be right although I can see Huss commentating a bit during the summer

Oh God! I hadn't thought of that, but you just know it's going to happen.
It would be the lowest of lows. Seriously Michael Slater should be given the summer off, you just know at some point he's going to put his foot in it.

It is sometimes hard to believe he played for Australia, he would be better off riding shotgun for Kyle Sandilands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be the lowest of lows. Seriously Michael Slater should be given the summer off, you just know at some point he's going to put his foot in it.

It is sometimes hard to believe he played for Australia, he would be better off riding shotgun for Kyle Sandilands.

will gloss over the fact that PH is a south aussie now

Slater will be a nightmare, he was labeling clarke "captain courageous" last summer for scoring a ton on a dead adelaide track vs a dispirited england so lord only knows what he has in store this summer.

This is why I continually comeback to the observations of Bill Lawry - made well before Slater ever entered the Comm Box on a permanent basis. Never miss your water until it's dry, but give me Tony, Bill and Richie any day of the week, hell they could even bring back Stacky and max and I wouldn't care. Slater, Healy, Tubby and Brayshaw do nothing for the game or for the Broadcaster. Ch9 Sydney must be a strange place - totally unhinged from the rest of society.

During summer I will almost always have the cricket on TV even if I'm pottering around somewhere else in the house just so that I can see the score when I walk past, maybe even watch a few balls. If something significant happened like a wicket, big appeal or a particularly big shot you'd know from the elevated voices in the commentary box that went up a notch from the standard ball by ball stuff.

Nowadays that is so much harder to do because you're seemingly poking your head around the corner every third or fourth ball because Davey Warner has just creamed a forward defensive push to the mid off fieldsman

I'm desperately hoping that even the marketing morons at CH9 will realise that any Phil Hughes memorabilia would be in poor taste.
It's going to happen though.

Like anything, it depends on how it's done. Unfortunately channel nine aren't known for doing things the right way.

But beyond Channel Nine there will be other things, especially books about Hughes. Where do you draw the line at what is fine and what isn't? There have been books in the past written about Vic Jackson (probably none for a long time), and Ayrton Senna etc,. but I've never heard those described as inappropriate.

I guess you have to make your own judgement is this a cash grab or not. Memorabilia out for the ODI series or a book out by March generally screams of cash grab. If a writer spends the next three years deeply researching Hughes life and background, gets permission of the family, and then releases the book then you would probably say this guy has put a lot of heart and soul into it.

Just caught the back end of a promo for the first test starting Tuesday

"The most emotional test ever"

Any hope I had of CH9 treating this with any sort of dignity is vanishing

You actually had some hope that they would?
Not much hope but surely someone somewhere within that organization has some intelligence

Yeah you're right there was never any hope

Just caught the back end of a promo for the first test starting Tuesday

"The most emotional test ever"

Any hope I had of CH9 treating this with any sort of dignity is vanishing

I really hope they handle any batsman scoring 63 with some class

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Back