Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

If you are going to start citing Upton Sinclair then maybe you should consider the difference between the Rotten Tomatoes 'critics' score and what the real audience thinks. Who are the grifters who are getting paid here? It may explain the $200 million budget for this crappy show.

View attachment 2040523

Holy shit mate. The rotten tomatoes “audience scores” have been debunked to the point of complete irrelevance. The only people who value them are the review bombers themselves.

And obviously the film critics get paid. It’s their ****ing job.

FFS

And obviously the film critics get paid. It’s their ****ing job.
Yeah. It’s difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it. ****ing grifters the lot of them :p

As for Critical Drinker and Nerdrotic, they don't need to 'nit-pick' as you claim. There's more bad stuff than good in this show and they just have to shine a light on it. For example, just in general terms, without going into the silly stuff in each episode -

The plot requiring characters to do certain things rather than it evolving from natural character motivations.
Poor structure - a prequel within a show with misleading flashbacks.
Star Trek polystyrene sets.
Exposition through flat dialog.
Killing potentially important characters before we know or care about them.
Unclear and inconsistent character motivations.
Characters with one facial expression.
Padding of 25 minute episodes with irrelevant guff.
Unimaginative blocking of characters within shots.
Where did the $200 million on 8 short episodes go?

Yeah. It’s difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it. ****ing grifters the lot of them :p

As for Critical Drinker and Nerdrotic, they don't need to 'nit-pick' as you claim. There's more bad stuff than good in this show and they just have to shine a light on it. For example, just in general terms, without going into the silly stuff in each episode -

The plot requiring characters to do certain things rather than it evolving from natural character motivations.
How much do you get paid to not understand anything then?

Yeah. It’s difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it. ****ing grifters the lot of them

Are you suggesting that professional film critics are paid off by Disney to write glowing reviews just because you don’t agree with them? What happened with Rise Of Skywalker? Eternals? Quantumania? Lion King remake? Cheque arrived too late I guess.

Yes this show has flaws. I don’t think anyone denies that. Every show or movie has flaws. A lot of what you’ve highlighted is also obviously intentional and the expectation is that it will pay off later.

Most people watching a show like The Acolyte understand this. But channels like Critical Drinker and Nerdrotic have a vested interest in pointing these flaws out. It’s literally how they build their audience and get rich. Every time there’s a new Star Wars or Marvel they’re rubbing their hands together gleefully preparing to write the same glop for a specific, and demonstrably gullible, target audience. Absolutely no objectivity.

Worse still, rather than look further to try and understand why certain choices were made, they blame these perceived flaws on the WOKE BOGEYMAN and wrap it all into the tired narrative that uptight women, and angry gays, and other frustrated minorities are killing [insert beloved brand from childhood here]. It’s all ****ing bullshit.

But mate, if you get a kick out of it all for whatever reason, enjoy. Just don’t fool yourself that this is all objective commentary.

Why was it so successful?

Who knows, like I said I didn't watch it. What I didn't do is push through and watch each episode and bitch about why I didn't like it. I left it for those who enjoyed it.

Are you suggesting that professional film critics are paid off by Disney to write glowing reviews just because you don’t agree with them?

It's not as simple as that. The Rotten Tomatoes formula is to classify each review as either positive or negative and then divide the number of positives by the total. Every 'critic' review carries the same weight whether it runs in a major media organisation or some dweeb with a dozen subscribers. There are now thousands of approved RT critics. The process is open to manipulation as PR firms recruit these small, self-published critics. There could be financial incentives for positive reviews, or withhold negative reviews, or there could be other incentives such as early access to content.

Yes this show has flaws. I don’t think anyone denies that. Every show or movie has flaws. A lot of what you’ve highlighted is also obviously intentional and the expectation is that it will pay off later.

Seriously? I'm not nit-picking about minor flaws. I listed several ways that the show as as whole is badly written and badly made. I didn't even start on the nonsense in each episode.

It's not as simple as that. The Rotten Tomatoes formula is to classify each review as either positive or negative and then divide the number of positives by the total. Every 'critic' review carries the same weight whether it runs in a major media organisation or some dweeb with a dozen subscribers. There are now thousands of approved RT critics. The process is open to manipulation as PR firms recruit these small, self-published critics. There could be financial incentives for positive reviews, or withhold negative reviews, or there could be other incentives such as early access to content.

Haha. Jesus ****ing wept.

The impassioned defense of this show by a couple of posters in this thread is actually more entertaining than the show. Keep up the good work.

The impassioned defence of saying it's a 7/10 show? Boy I wouldn't go hiring me to be your defence attourney..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a 7/10 show it is quite impassioned, yes.

I think you're confusing calling out dumb shit from some posters with impassioned defence of the show itself.

The impassioned defense of this show by a couple of posters in this thread is actually more entertaining than the show. Keep up the good work.

The bizarre thing for me is posters continue to spend time watching and then more time dissing a show they don’t like? Surely you have other shows you can watch that you would enjoy?? I’m not sure hate watching is necessarily a healthy pastime.

The bizarre thing for me is posters continue to spend time watching and then more time dissing a show they don’t like? Surely you have other shows you can watch that you would enjoy?? I’m not sure hate watching is necessarily a healthy pastime.
It has a touch of car crash tv about it. You kind of want to see if they can salvage it somewhat, or will it get worse. The episodes and season itself really are not that long, so its not like it is life altering amounts of time to watch it. I kind of liked the Qmir bloke, outside of stupid shit that has gone on in some of his scenes, so have some interest in seeing where they take him.

It has a touch of car crash tv about it. You kind of want to see if they can salvage it somewhat, or will it get worse. The episodes and season itself really are not that long, so its not like it is life altering amounts of time to watch it. I kind of liked the Qmir bloke, outside of stupid shit that has gone on in some of his scenes, so have some interest in seeing where they take him.
Did almost seeing his lightsabre turn you to the Dark Side?

Never heard of catharsis?

The best I could say was it was 'ok'.

Sol's acting and dialogue is really poor. Just stands out so badly to me.

Indara being absolutely inept at any kind of leadership is disappointing as well.
I thought he'd been really good throughout the majority of the series, but this episode was poor. Don't know if it was him needing to play younger, so his slower measured vocals seemed more out of place, likely. But it definitely didn't work.

I also think they didn't give him much to work with. The force work in this episode was pretty cartoonishly poor. Particularly the scene where he saves Osha from the bridge and Mae falls, it looked and felt like a community play rather than a Star Wars product, like it looked like he was just a child pretending to use the force if you know what I mean.

Yeah, Sol was worse but I'd attribute that to playing his younger self and the associated energy needed.

Still think it's one of the few shining lights that have emerged for this series, he's not bad at all for someone that didn't speak English a few years ago. I like it when the Jedi are shown to be fallible and too stubborn for their own sake.

I also - in general - enjoyed the episode and how it brought the loose ends together (eg Mae's test, the real reason for the death and destruction, Torbin's scars, Kelnacca's obsession with the symbols of the coven). Yeah, not the best ever Disney+ series but watchable imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back