Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we also highlight how ridiculous it is, unless they find a way to explain it away, that Sol has no idea Mae is not Osha.

Yes it was what I was saying earlier, I found that whole plot point very unnecessary and it took me out of it the longer that facade continued. Especially if they have a finite amount of time to work with each episode, I would’ve much preferred something meaningful happen between them similar to Qmir and Osha on the other planet.

Episodes are not well timed, this show is now getting as boring as the recent Mandalorian, which is a shame. First episode was promising buts now it’s paddling.

Watched the new HOTD after this and although it’s a different genre there is a stark difference in effort put into it.

I saw a very interesting thing today, a clip from some industry podcast speaking about how streaming platforms give notes to TV show producers that their content isn't "second screen" enough, i.e that it's too complicated for a person to follow while simultaneously scrolling on your phone. Which is astonishing to me, but I guess not unexpected in this day and age. DO we think that could be a Disney Star Wars problem, that they're intentionally not making things complicated / engaging because its designed to be "second screenable".

What else is the expectation for such poorly thought out narrative jumps like:
  • the Jedi team needing a tracker and a days march to find the Wookie Jedi's camp to Green head and her team just wandering in there with no issue;
  • the communications system on Sol's ship stopping for... literally no reason other than plot convenience?

Do we think the show runners are just talentless or are they saying... we don't need to put in any explanation for this because people aren't watching it properly anyway?

It’s an interesting theory and maybe so. This is why Star Wars needs to be in cinemas.

Still a lot of the things you’re talking about can just be put down to plot convenience. Kind of like how Han and Leia travel to Bespin in about a week while Luke undergoes what seems to be months of Jedi training at the same time. It doesn’t really make sense but you kind of hand wave it away. Even Shakespeare had these kinds of logic issues in his writing (not that I’m comparing the writers on The Acolyte to the Bard).

I just don't enjoy her performance at all. I have a suspicion as others have mentioned that she is the central flaw of the Jedi in this show, i.e that she has caused the Qmir injury, potentially somehow related to the fire / witches and that she is effectively covering her same tracks. So in that sense, she should in my opinion portray a sense of suspicion, menace or control - whereas I don't get that from her. I get a sense of arrogance and a general unlikability, but it's cut with this level of incompetence and and unlikability that I can only assume is coming from her performance because it just wouldn't make sense for your fox in the henhouse character to be incompetent and unlikeable at this stage of the story before we've seen that reveal.

Yeah right. Interesting.

I get completely the opposite from her. At first she seemed overly controlling and a stickler for the rules. Then a few episodes later she seemed genuinely concerned about what was going on. Now she seems to be scrambling as things have unraveled. It’s been fascinating to watch as the character begins to understand the gravity of it all. It’s very compelling which I put mostly down to Rebecca Henderson’s performance.

To each their own I guess.

I get it for your non name shows, but I would hope something like Star Wars aspires to be better.

I don’t know if it’s a major thing though. I’m sure good writing is still encouraged and they know this is Star Wars with a million fans ready to devour and obsess over any tiny bit of information or plot point. I think that’s why, as such huge fans, we pick these things up a lot more than your average casual viewer. We want it all to make sense and work perfectly and when it doesn’t it cuts deeper.

My $0.02.

I only just realised that the Green Jedi is Lesley Headlands wife haha. Nepotism explains why she's such an awful actor.

Having just one dour facial expression seems to be almost default in many Disney SW characters. Jodie Turner-Smith was a relief from that but it was short lived, and that dance scene with the witches was turned up to 11 on the cringe scale. Trinity could have been an interesting character - but dead within minutes. Sol has one expression and T A L K S V E R Y S L O W L Y. It's not very engaging. Who are we supposed to care about?

Qmir has some complexities but Sol didn't kill him because the plot needed him to live. It's typical of the show that the plot requires characters to do certain things rather than the plot evolving from natural character motivations.

Having just one dour facial expression seems to be almost default in many Disney SW characters. Jodie Turner-Smith was a relief from that but it was short lived, and that dance scene with the witches was turned up to 11 on the cringe scale. Trinity could have been an interesting character - but dead within minutes. Sol has one expression and T A L K S V E R Y S L O W L Y. It's not very engaging. Who are we supposed to care about?

Qmir has some complexities but Sol didn't kill him because the plot needed him to live. It's typical of the show that the plot requires characters to do certain things rather than the plot evolving from natural character motivations.
I thought that Sol not killing Qmir was one of the few plot points that actually makes sense in a Star Wars show. He shouldn't have killed him defensively.

Osha whipping out a lightsaber and not killing him for no reason was lame though. It like.. she either shouldn't have been mad enough and not done it at all, or she should have just killed him. Doing the whole "don't make me do it" thing is so played out and boring.

The other thing I find it interesting which no one is talking about or theorizing about is how Qimir says he was trained as a Jedi a long long time ago. He's so young looking but i wonder if hes actually really old (or just old) and has somehow found a fountain of youth on that planet he's hiding in.

However, Vernestra is not that old, what 50? So it still would be reasonable for Qimir to only be mid-20s tops if she was his master. Tho he could possibly be hinting hes like 40 or so if Vernestra took on a padawan at a younger age like say when she was 20 herself.

Just the way Qimir emphasized "long long time ago" seems to imply literally than figuratively. Basically, I'm guessing he's like 40 or so but looks 20 due to said fountain (or that spring he bathes in.

Therefore, how does that tie in with Sol (you seem very familiar) from epiaode 5? Were Sol and Qimir younglings at the same time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other thing I find it interesting which no one is talking about or theorizing about is how Qimir says he was trained as a Jedi a long long time ago. He's so young looking but i wonder if hes actually really old (or just old) and has somehow found a fountain of youth on that planet he's hiding in.

However, Vernestra is not that old, what 50? So it still would be reasonable for Qimir to only be mid-20s tops if she was his master. Tho he could possibly be hinting hes like 40 or so if Vernestra took on a padawan at a younger age like say when she was 20 herself.

Just the way Qimir emphasized "long long time ago" seems to imply literally than figuratively. Basically, I'm guessing he's like 40 or so but looks 20 due to said fountain (or that spring he bathes in.

Therefore, how does that tie in with Sol (you seem very familiar) from epiaode 5? Were Sol and Qimir younglings at the same time?

I’ve been theorising about it, here:

Still feel these episodes are too short, even though there was some intriguing moments in this one.

Ach-To right? Aside from the scenery and island planet, those creatures were very similar to the ones Luke ends up milking.

I like Bazil.

Just when we’re finally going to circle back to what happened that night on the witches planet, the power on the ship just turns back on haha. Surely has to be explained the next episode, dragging this part out too long I feel.

Sol just switching off the comms and jumping to hyperspace felt odd. When just minutes before he’s trying to raise the alarm.

Clearly the breathing with the helmet on is meant to resemble Vader.

Liking this Qmir character and he had some good stuff to work with here. “I was a Jedi a long long time ago”. Perhaps hinting that he’s already tapping into that unnatural long life thing. Still feel he’s the Master and he’s Plageuis.

The unnatural long life stuff, I think he’s a lot lot older than what face value suggests.

Supposedly Vernestra is approx 115+ years old in The Acolyte, her species age differently.

The unnatural long life stuff, I think he’s a lot lot older than what face value suggests.

Supposedly Vernestra is approx 115+ years old in The Acolyte, her species age differently.
Oh wow, shes that old? Hes definitely like 80 or so then. Wow,sir

Also then, if it turns out Qimir is a geriatric, I wonder how that ties in with Sol saying "you seem very familiar".

Can we also highlight how ridiculous it is, unless they find a way to explain it away, that Sol has no idea Mae is not Osha.
Huh? He knew from the start. Did you miss him stunning her?

Also then, if it turns out Qimir is a geriatric, I wonder how that ties in with Sol saying "you seem very familiar".

When Sol catches Qimir again he will tear off his mask and it will be revealed that he's the janitor from the Jedi school. Qimir : "I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids".

He didnt know until halfway in the voyage on the ship when Bazil alerted him or Mae fluffed Pip's gender.
You mean like when he first saw her and asked "where is she" or when he talked to her about her past to explain what happened in a coded way?

He didn’t know. If he already did, why dedicate so much time to the groundhog sussing her out?
Good point too. Basically, Sol was clouded with grief and sorrow from the recent carnage in the forest and all the secrets he'd been hiding from the twins bubbling up inside him and wasn't "awake" enough to realize it was Mae. Whereas Qimir knew right away Osha was Osha.

He didn’t know. If he already did, why dedicate so much time to the groundhog sussing her out?

Because it was a bit of a light hearted side plot? It didn't really amount to anything in the end?

If that’s the case, it’s ridiculous. If Sol already knew, who gives a shit if a rodent knows.

You’re wrong.

So he was just randomly bringing up her past, something he'd have already discussed with Osha while training her, for shits and giggles? The entire premise of the episode was the Sith corrupting Osha and the Jedi redeeming Mae. It's there in the title.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back