Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The girl claimed she wasn't being racist. She used the term "ape" based on Goodes bearded appearance.

Goodes is a millionaire sportsman. She was a 13 year old, locked up in a police station for two hours without a parent or guardian and questioned by police. At that age, she has only limited ability to articulate her actions.

Goodes actions were perceived as over-the-top, and have contributed to the booing.

She stated she her intentions were based on race. That was a few years ago now. Catch up.
Police actions were not Adam's.

There is no proof that the fans are booing him because he is Aboriginal. None.It's not up to me to prove that people are NOT racist, when the majoirty of people we know are not racist.

Given that racist people are a minority it's up to YOU to prove they are racist, if you think they are.

So, I'll say it again: The people boong Goodes do not care about his race. At all. They are booing Goodes the man, and are booing Goodes own opinion and actions on race.

Again, it's the black man that has an opinion that you (or 'people') have a problem with...

Get your shit together and outline specifically the reprehensible and incorrect opinions and actions on race he has put forward.

Yes, he did. But one of the very few. I know many Swans supporters took exception with his choice of words, despite agreeing with pretty much every other point he made.
There's been dumb, unhelpful and/or over the top stuff come out on all sides of this debate.

What evidence do you have to support that he has probably only been vilified a handful of time? Your making a bold presumption on something you have very little understanding of or evidence to support your statement, which is ignorant at the very least!

As for what racism do they actually experience in today's society? Seriously? How about being called an Ape for starters! Just because you don't see it or hear it doesn't mean it doesn't happen!

I get that you don't like him, but why don't you like him? Based on what I can see from your post it seems it not him as a sportsman that you dislike, it appears that its that him as AOTY raised awareness of racism within society that you take offence too? If this is the case you need to ask yourself what it is about the topic that you find so confronting.

If I'm wrong I apologise unreservedly but that is certainly the way your post portraits it.
goodes tells the world when he has been racially vilified like the school girl incident, thats the only one i can remember, most afl players are quality people who dont racially abuse other players. i dont mind goodes but in my opion he has gone to far with speaking out against racism

No I'm not. I don't have a personal issue with it. I've never booed Goodes.

But when you bring politics into the sporting field, you get this type of response. The fans are rejecting Goodes himself, because he is perceived to be a sook, and a bully, and he reacts to it by engaging in a war dance aimed at white people.

People simply don't care about Goodes race. They are booing Goodes himself because of his opinions, and over-the-top actions.
The fans brought the politics onto the field by racially abusing him throughout his career.
We will just have to disagree on all this. You are given words to read and you reach incorrect conclusions. That can't be an accident.

That was after the media had got hold of the situation, and she had obviously received advice on what to say. Clearly.

At the time, she claimed she wasn't being racist. Not once was the term "black" used.
Let me get this straight, you have to use the word black for it to be racist? Seriously? So when bananas are thrown on the field in European soccer matches that's not racist? Maybe it's because the crowd thinks the players need to battle cramps?

Still don't think she ever said what you said she did but regardless that's nonsense

Last edited:
someone highlighted that the other day...still not fixed. What do Mods get paid to do? :D

find out where you live, which porridge you eat, what cologne/perfume you wear, whether or not you stood for one minute at the 7 minute mark of the third quarter?

Massacres of Aborigines was also common by Aborigines as part of regular tribal warfare. The settlers did wrongs by our standards today. So did Aborigines.
And most aboriginal tribes/ language groups/ clans have acknowledged & moved on. Aboriginal history should be taught in every school in Australia to every child, so their is no miss understandings of different cultures. When I went to school in the eighties I was taught the history of a lot of different cultures & countries but never of aboriginal history. If people can have an understanding of others then we can move forward as a country. My grandfather was a very important elder in our clan/ tribe, when a child white or black was born in Alice Springs he would say they were all little Yipperinya,s because that is our dreaming for Alice Springs.

It's true, and an interesting fact, but hardly relevant to this discussion. That was the way of life for an indigenous tribe for 40,000 years. Shit got stuffed up when Europeans came. Disease and alcohol, with no resistance to either. Terrible idea. War was waged by both sides. Murder was undertaken by both sides. Guns tend to win out. Not to mention the view that murdering the indigenous was no different to killing an animal. It was an invasion. Aborigines are fair minded in that view.

It was definitely an invasion and a tremendously successful one for the new people. It's seen to be devastating for Aborigines to lose their ownership however in my opinion Aborigines are better off today due to their life expectancy being about 2.5 times longer and murder dramatically lower. No doubt there's still massive challenges remaining but that's another topic.

I argue that the tribal warfare is relevant because it's still murder and also no less wrong just because it was their "way of life" (ironic choice of words). There are stories of tribes near Melbourne that would kill women and children of their rivals and cut off their arms and legs. They did this regularly as a way of killing them off. The English way of life was to conquer so you can use the same logic to justify what happened when they invaded.

Ownership is just a construct to represent a controller. There's no real or true owner of Australia but just a controller at a point in time. The collective 250 Aboriginal nations of this land used to have collective control. That changed through the invasion.

The more people acknowledge the complete, balanced and honest truth of all people's atrocities in this country, the easier it will be to move on.

The girl claimed she wasn't being racist. She used the term "ape" based on Goodes bearded appearance.

Goodes is a millionaire sportsman. She was a 13 year old, locked up in a police station for two hours without a parent or guardian and questioned by police. At that age, she has only limited ability to articulate her actions.

Goodes actions were perceived as over-the-top, and have contributed to the booing.
His financial state is relevant because?
I hadn't realised he was part of the security team. I didn't know that he popped out of the changing rooms to interrogate her.

And most aboriginal tribes/ language groups/ clans have acknowledged & moved on. Aboriginal history should be taught in every school in Australia to every child, so their is no miss understandings of different cultures. When I went to school in the eighties I was taught the history of a lot of different cultures & countries but never of aboriginal history. If people can have an understanding of others then we can move forward as a country. My grandfather was a very important elder in our clan/ tribe, when a child white or black was born in Alice Springs he would say they were all little Yipperinya,s because that is our dreaming for Alice Springs.

good point. My daughter is learning Italian for a semester at school... seems a waste of time. Australia history would be mush better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

goodes tells the world when he has been racially vilified like the school girl incident, thats the only one i can remember, most afl players are quality people who dont racially abuse other players. i dont mind goodes but in my opion he has gone to far with speaking out against racism
He's gone to far speaking out about racism? Lol wot

Hardly makes you Sherlock Holmes there mate.

Makes you MAAAAAAAAAD that someone would have the GALL to disagree with you hey , doesn't it ?

But no idea how you came up with THAT after the quoted post though.
Makes it seem like you have an agenda.

Some limp-wrister sooked yesterday to the mods that i was bringing politics into this thread and reported my posts so i'll respond in kind.

So, you are making a homophobic remark, by calling someone a "l... wr......".

So much for not having prejudice.

This labelling everything 'left-right' bullshit has to stop. It's corrupted so many minds and warped anything worth discussing.

We can't even have this discussion that is clearly overdue without it becoming a parochial shit fight.
Unfortunately that's the exact discussion we need to have, otherwise this topic will repeat again and again. It has been a fantastic success at selling papers.

When someone states 'everyone who boos is a racist' that is a insulting to the footballing community. It is stupid and inflammatory designed by a white savour to shame the footballing public into not booing.
After that no fair minded commentator would touch this issue with a ten foot pole, out of fear of being labeled a racist.
To fill the gap the ultra right wing conservatives came in, Bolt, Alan Jones anyone stupid enough to put up their hands trying to be a moral arbitrator of Australia... This is completely political and to deny is ignorant and stupid.

I've got no idea whether that's true, but it's irrelevant because it would never be acted upon. We all know that everyone in this country can vote regardless of skin colour.
Well maybe it's time to find out if that's true? See if there is any inherent racism in our constitution? It's a fairly important document no?

It was definitely an invasion and a tremendously successful one for the new people. It's seen to be devastating for Aborigines to lose their ownership however in my opinion Aborigines are better off today due to their life expectancy being about 2.5 times longer and murder dramatically lower. No doubt there's still massive challenges remaining but that's another topic.

I argue that the tribal warfare is relevant because it's still murder and also no less wrong just because it was their "way of life" (ironic choice of words). There are stories of tribes near Melbourne that would kill women and children of their rivals and cut off their arms and legs. They did this regularly as a way of killing them off. The English way of life was to conquer so you can use the same logic to justify what happened when they invaded.

Ownership is just a construct to represent a controller. There's no real or true owner of Australia but just a controller at a point in time. The collective 250 Aboriginal nations of this land used to have collective control. That changed through the invasion.

The more people acknowledge the complete, balanced and honest truth of all people's atrocities in this country, the easier it will be to move on.
I doubt many indigenous people, let alone other people, would want life to be how it was 300 years ago. I'm all for being realistic about how pre-European-landing Australia was. Tribes were often disgustingly violent and obscene. None the less, today, there is a huge gap between how most indigenous people live compared to most white Australians. That issue is so in depth and cannot be summarised well. Both sides of the gap have tried to improve things, and both sides of the gap have no doubt resisted. Both sides have been complacent, I'm sure. Let's hope we can close the gap. Adam Goodes, whether his methods are what a person agrees with or not, is fighting for a better life for the indigenous. Surely that's a good thing?

What the **** does Phil Walsh have to do with Adam Goodes.

I don't know, except the level of sympathy given towards Adam Goodes, and how players said that they would honor him, made it sound like Goodes was dead, rather than sooking up.

I'm surprised that all the teams didn't stand in a circle after each game, and gave Goodes a minute's silence, the way the media and AFL officialdom have carried on last week.

More importantly, was Jack Watts option there from the beginning? I feel the validity of this poll has been severely compromised due to Watts not getting a fair run at it.

Not to lessen the issues surrounding Goodes, but could you imagine if Watts was indigenous? Geez that kid went through some crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back