Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you are making a homophobic remark, by calling someone a "l... wr......".

So much for not having prejudice.
Wow

Way to stereotype homosexuals.
Plenty of gay blokes out there harder than you or i too.
To me limp-wrister means soft , thin-skinned.

Tough break there bud , almost had a win there.

Still not as disgusting as booing a bloke who didn't like being called an ape though hey.......

I'll be back. Hell, I havn't even been on BigFooty itself for months.

Exposing and ridiculing leftists is one of life's great joys and the SRP board is the best place to do it.
Just a co-incidence I'm sure mate. Will you be back to breathe life into such classics as "Tony Abbott will be Australia's most popular ever PM" and "Bronwyn Bishop is the fairest, most honest politician ever"? I'm sure the Left are quaking in their boots at the prospect

OMG really? It's racist but could be worse - you should just carry on! This is exactly why someone like Goodes who says I'll use my position to stick my neck out and challenge this nonsense should be highly acclaimed.

Weekly racism, on the field and in the crowds pretty much ended in 1995 after the Michael Long-Damian Monkhorst incident.

We very rarely see any issue on the field or in the stands nowadays. It crops up occasionally, but it is very rare.

Just a co-incidence I'm sure mate. Will you be back to breathe life into such classics as "Tony Abbott will be Australia's most popular ever PM" and "Bronwyn Bishop is the fairest, most honest politician ever"? I'm sure the Left are quaking in their boots at the prospect

I'll never support Bronwyn, and I'll have to concede Abbott will never be popular (but he will get re-elected which is all that matters), but yeah I'll be back to have my say.

OMG really? It's racist but could be worse - you should just carry on! This is exactly why someone like Goodes who says I'll use my position to stick my neck out and challenge this nonsense should be highly acclaimed.
I'm not shitting you. You're arguing with Alan Jones mate

I'll be back. Hell, I havn't even been on BigFooty itself for months.

Exposing and ridiculing leftists is one of life's great joys and the SRP board is the best place to do it.
OK, so at least you've finally admitted you're hopelessly biased.

Good to know, and we can all now keep that in the backs of our minds as we decide how much or how little credence to give each of your utterances.

Just for the record, I only "expose and ridicule" people of differing political viewpoints if they talk utter s***. If they can sustain an argument, I respect them. (A lot can't, of course.)

OK, so at least you've finally admitted you're hopelessly biased.

Good to know, and we can all now keep that in the backs of our minds as we decide how much or how little credence to give each of your utterances.

Just for the record, I only "expose and ridicule" people of differing political viewpoints if they talk utter s***. If they can sustain an argument, I respect them. (A lot can't, of course.)

So do I. I would never ridicule a Bob Hawke, or a Martin Ferguson, or Michael Costa or anyone lefty with a sense of logic.

It's those that are close to he Greens (sadly, the modern Labor party) that deserve every piece of ridicule they get.

Sadly, they are usually the ones who BRING race into the equation in this debate.

So you're probably not racist either. You just disagree with some of his methods. Cool, me too. Perhaps let's just be cool dudes and encourage the boos to stop so that only the ones who hate him and are racist are left booing, and we can sit back and chill.
This. Racism disgusts me, and I assume the same for most decent people. Given that anyone with half a brain would agree that at least SOME of the booing is racist, I would have thought most decent people's preference to not be perceived as racist would override their BURNING desire to assert their constitutional right to boo.

But apparently not. Unbelievable that people are trying to frame is as a free speech issue. If you're so concerned about free speech in this country, do something about our libel laws, which are tailor-made to protect only the rich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not shitting you. You're arguing with Alan Jones mate
Either that, or my preferred option - a staff writer for BigFooty whose brief is to write material to generate seemingly endless debate. :)
One of the all-time BF classics. :D

Who would have thought that getting blocked by Jo Hall on Twitter could provide such comfort and reassurance that you were brought up the right way.

Dan26 , check out my post linked below and tell me what you think. Disregard the Garlett bit if you want.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-adam-goodes-megathread-now-with-added-poll.1105536/page-507#post-39978667

Yes I read your post, regarding Garlett.

Once again, Garlett had never been booed before (except by some Carlton people after changing clubs). So why now? What did he do?

Well, he did do something. He made a gesture at the Collingwood end after kicking a goal, and made that gesture directly to the Magpie fans. Any booing was simply due to the Collingwood fans reacting to this.

Now I don't mind players doing this. It spices things up and is a bit of fun. But with all the events of the last week, he probably should have just restrained himself, because any booing resulting from it, was going to clearly be wrongly perceived to be racist.

He hasn't been racially abused "throughout" his entire career. Any such incidents have been isolated.

He has had to put up with nothing compared to what many Aboriginal players had to put up with in the first half of the 20th century.
Well another area to disagree on. My understanding is that he has copped a fair bit of racial abuse over the years, but got involved in the 'Racism it stops here' campaign and decided not to cop it anymore. Am sure its not nearly as bad as the old days but I'd be pretty surprised if current indigenous footballers 'had not put up with a bit.' How would you know if these are isolated incidents. Given the comments on this board, seems a stretch.
Just because it was worse in the old days, doesn't make it acceptable behaviour today. Your implication seems to be what?-Goodes is a sook because he can't take it like they did in the past? Perhaps-well done to him for standing up to the racial abuse that has been part of our community for 200 years would be more appropriate?

Last edited:
Yes I read your post, regarding Garlett.

Once again, Garlett had never been booed before (except by some Carlton people after changing clubs). So why now? What did he do?

Well, he did do something. He made a gesture at the Collingwood end after kicking a goal, and made that gesture directly to the Magpie fans. Any booing was simply due to the Collingwood fans reacting to this.

Now I don't mind players doing this. It spices things up and is a bit of fun. But with all the events of the last week, he probably should have just restrained himself, because any booing resulting from it, was going to clearly be wrongly perceived to be racist.
I meant the other stuff. As my thoughts changed on the Goodes matter. Tell me how they compare to yours.

So do I. I would never ridicule a Bob Hawke, or a Martin Ferguson, or Michael Costa or anyone lefty with a sense of logic.

It's those that are close to he Greens (sadly, the modern Labor party) that deserve every piece of ridicule they get.

Sadly, they are usually the ones who BRING race into the equation in this debate.
Oh I see, so, like, right-wing leftists.

Now my head hurts.

You said simply "leftists". I find that telling.

Someone truly fair-minded would be at pains to make your subsequent (admittedly bizarre) distinctions from the outset.

Like I said, good to know.

My thoughts have been articulated in this thread.
Fair enough. I just hoped for a critique of my views from someone from the right. If you don't want to do that, fine. I just find it strange that I post something saying I disagree with Goodes' methods and I get likes from Sydney supporters, but you do the same and get ridiculed. Perhaps you don't word things well enough to encourage those around you to support your views. On the other hand, I've always been good at gaining respect from the crowd. Maybe a change of approach is in order?

Yeah I was more just making a specific point to a incorrect statement mate. The whole Goodes v girl thing hurts my head. And is so grey judging by the differing views that people run in circles on. I remember feeling uncomfortable watching the incident and dont doubt Goodes should not have been offended. I do find myself conflicted at times when I try and imagine how it could have "Been better Handled".

I did too, at the time.

My issue with Goodes if you can call it that really stems to the spear throwing saga..but Ive made my points on that

Hey, it wasn't a spear, it was a boomerang!

All I can say is I'm a white fella and I have no real sense of what it would be like to feel racially vilified.

But... every now and again, I get a sense of what it would feel to be marginalised. And that's all it comes down to. I try my best to feel what it would be like to be i the other bloke's shoes.

Guess that makes me a lefty.

So you're probably not racist either. You just disagree with some of his methods. Cool, me too. Perhaps let's just be cool dudes and encourage the boos to stop so that only the ones who hate him and are racist are left booing, and we can sit back and chill.
I think most fair-minded people have decided to stop booing because it's affecting Goodes to the point of him no being able to play. But I am very uncomfortable with all this "covering for racists", "exposing the racists" talk. Suppose there are only a handful of people left still booing Goodes in a couple of week's time. Are they inconsiderate? Certainly. Arsinine? Most likely. Deliberately contrarian? Possibly. But can you be sure they are racists if booing is all they are doing? Are there racial undertones to booing? Yes 100%. But does it mean we should turn booing into the litmus test for racism? I am not so sure about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back