Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most fair-minded people have decided to stop booing because it's affecting Goodes to the point of him no being able to play. But I am very uncomfortable with all this "covering for racists", "exposing the racists" talk. Suppose there are only a handful of people left still booing Goodes in a couple of week's time. Are they inconsiderate? Certainly. Arsinine? Most likely. Deliberately contrarian? Possibly. But can you be sure they are racists if booing is all they are doing? Are there racial undertones to booing? Yes 100%. But does it mean we should turn booing into the litmus test for racism? I am not so sure about that.
Ok, well they're probably idiots, then.

Oh I see, so, like, right-wing leftists.

Now my head hurts.

You said simply "leftists". I find that telling.

Someone truly fair-minded would be at pains to make your subsequent (admittedly bizarre) distinctions from the outset.

Like I said, good to know.
Fair enough. I just hoped for a critique of my views from someone from the right. If you don't want to do that, fine. I just find it strange that I post something saying I disagree with Goodes' methods and I get likes from Sydney supporters, but you do the same and get ridiculed. Perhaps you don't word things well enough to encourage those around you to support your views. On the other hand, I've always been good at gaining respect from the crowd. Maybe a change of approach is in order?

Probably. I like to back my opinions up (rather than just state them) and that often generates a response, by those who instinctively disagree but who deep down know I have a point.

I like to try to change people's opinions through logic rather than just state them.

I'm aware this causes friction.

Probably. I like to back my opinions up (rather than just state them) and that often generates a response, by those who instinctively disagree but who deep down know I have a point.

I like to try to change people's opinions through logic rather than just state them.

Logic is certainly a nebulous beast.

No. We learn from the past. And we have. Last time I checked Any Australian regardless of colour is allowed to vote and are subjected to the same laws. This wasn't always the case.

If anything, affirmative action (an abhorrent concept) has seen white people discriminated against. Quotas, for instance.
In a thread full of ignorant comments, this stands tall.

I truly hope you are coping with the racism you face in every day life.

No. We learn from the past. And we have. Last time I checked Any Australian regardless of colour is allowed to vote and are subjected to the same laws.

Bullshit. The government, the police and the courts target Aboriginals more. Anyone who doesn't know this is ignorant or in denial because it doesn't fit their racist narrative.

Sorry Dan but that's a lol for me.;)

Dan26 , how do we resolve this situation? Tell me what should happen from here on, in your opinion. Take it further into deeper reconciliation actions, as well as bettering the life of the indigenous. I'm so very interested.

This. Racism disgusts me, and I assume the same for most decent people. Given that anyone with half a brain would agree that at least SOME of the booing is racist, I would have thought most decent people's preference to not be perceived as racist would override their BURNING desire to assert their constitutional right to boo.

But apparently not. Unbelievable that people are trying to frame is as a free speech issue. If you're so concerned about free speech in this country, do something about our libel laws, which are tailor-made to protect only the rich.

Actually NO....It is a free-speech issue.

And until you, the AFL, Goodes, The NSW govt & most of the sports journo's in this country grasp that fact, then things won't be changing anytime soon.

Despite all your deflective rhetoric to the contrary.

So do I. I would never ridicule a Bob Hawke, or a Martin Ferguson, or Michael Costa or anyone lefty with a sense of logic.

It's those that are close to he Greens (sadly, the modern Labor party) that deserve every piece of ridicule they get.

Sadly, they are usually the ones who BRING race into the equation in this debate.
I hate to buy into this whole left-right bullshit, but do you truly believe the Labor Party is left? They are a right wing party, albeit slightly more moderate than the further right Liberal Party. The current Labor Party is further to the right of the political spectrum than the 1980s Liberal Party.

This. Racism disgusts me, and I assume the same for most decent people. Given that anyone with half a brain would agree that at least SOME of the booing is racist, I would have thought most decent people's preference to not be perceived as racist would override their BURNING desire to assert their constitutional right to boo.

But apparently not. Unbelievable that people are trying to frame is as a free speech issue. If you're so concerned about free speech in this country, do something about our libel laws, which are tailor-made to protect only the rich.
I posted in this thread earlier and again your comments trouble me on this specific issue. Labelling an entire group of people based on SOME of that groups intentions is the stereotypical mindset that creates issues. As I said in my original post, yes people took it upon themselves to join in the initial booing for other reasons, some even from racism, as we all know it exists. But calling people out for an act which most probably feel as strongly as you is wrong.

Some people are trying to frame it as a "just because theres a few bad eggs doesnt mean everyone is racist or deserves to be called racist, anymore than every plane traveller deserves to be called a terrorist because a few guys hijack an aircraft every now and then".

Racism is disgusting. Steroetyping isnt a lot better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hasn't been racially abused "throughout" his entire career. Any such incidents have been isolated.

He has had to put up with nothing compared to what many Aboriginal players had to put up with in the first half of the 20th century.

Isolated incidents throughout his entire career :$:$:$

Actually NO....It is a free-speech issue.

And until you, the AFL, Goodes, The NSW govt & most of the sports journo's in this country grasp that fact, then things won't be changing anytime soon.

Despite all your deflective rhetoric to the contrary.
Absolutely it's a free speech issue.

An absurdly insignificant free speech issue, compared to, say, the libel laws example I raised.

And if you don't think the right-wing media are fanning this as much as anyone else is, it's hard to know what to say.

I posted in this thread earlier and again your comments trouble me on this specific issue. Labelling an entire group of people based on SOME of that groups intentions is the stereotypical mindset that creates issues. As I said in my original post, yes people took it upon themselves to join in the initial booing for other reasons, some even from racism, as we all know it exists. But calling people out for an act which most probably feel as strongly as you is wrong.
Totally agree.

But apart from Andrew Pridham, I see very few people actually labelling ALL the booers as racists.

Yet time and again on this thread, folks are saying that people are calling ALL the booers racist.

An absurdly insignificant free speech issue, compared to, say, the libel laws example I raised.

And if you don't think the right-wing media are fanning this as much as anyone else is, it's hard to know what to say.

All these free speech talk is yet another level of ridiculous overstatement. Are we banning booing now? If not whose right to free speech has been trampled upon? People should seriously take a step back.

Sorry, no free speech issue - which goes to the heart of our values of what constitutes a free society - is 'insignificant'.o_O

That's like saying breathing is not important for life, while depending on each breath as you say it.

Now, think about what you are both writing & saying; & stop taking the pre-conditions necessary for your very words for granted.

Last edited:
This thread makes me wonder about the reaction when Nicky Winmar lifted up his shirt that day.

I'm not racist but...

"He shouldn't shove it in our faces"
"I'm sure most weren't racist"
"Unnecessary political statement"
"All about me is Nicky Winmar, that's why I boo him"

Only thing I could find from the time. It seems it was barely discussed in the immediate aftermath, even an interview with Gilbert McAdam didn't touch on it.

Sorry, no free speech issue - which goes to the heart of our values of what constitutes a free society - is 'insignificant'.o_O

That's like saying breathing is not important for life, while depending on each breath as you say it.

Now, think about what you are both writing & saying & stop taking the pre-conditions necessary for your very words for granted.

Red herring. Booing isn't being banned. Jog on, Voltaire.

Totally agree.

But apart from Andrew Pridham, I see very few people actually labelling ALL the booers as racists.

Yet time and again on this thread, folks are saying that people are calling ALL the booers racist.
By asking everyone to stop booing Adam, and tying that act as racism is labelling everyone that does it a racist. It's not right.

Red herring. Booing isn't being banned. Jog on, Voltaire.

That's because the AFL knows full-well that it can't be....As a form of free-speech, booing is under attack; & all in the name of a single recalcitrant player, who can give it but can't take it back.

Said it before & I'll say it again till I'm blue in the face....No player is bigger than the game of football....Not even Adam Goodes!

Totally agree.

Ross Lyon just joined in. Journalist like Mark Robinson, Gerard Whateley, etc has been saying this since the Hawthorn game. Unfortunately those few people get to broadcast their message to a far greater audience than an average supporter on BF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back