The AFL Should Ban Gambling Advertising At Games and During AFL Broadcasts

Should the AFL ban all gambling advertising from grounds, broadcasting, sponsorship deals

• Yes-everywhere

Votes: 138 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • Only on TV

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Only at games

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't understand how it's not a conflict of interest for the AFL to accept money from people who make their money offering wagers on the outcomes of games.

The reasons why players are not allowed to bet on any AFL game apply just as much (moreso, even) to the AFL accepting money from betting agencies.

Imagine if a player was sponsored by Ladbrokes ... but it's ok for the AFL to take their money?

I just don't understand how it's not a conflict of interest for the AFL to accept money from people who make their money offering wagers on the outcomes of games.

The reasons why players are not allowed to bet on any AFL game apply just as much (moreso, even) to the AFL accepting money from betting agencies.

Imagine if a player was sponsored by Ladbrokes ... but it's ok for the AFL to take their money?

It's beyond a joke

AT least in the UK the FA have the balls to cut ties with gambling companies

interesting reading

As title reads

Gambling is scourge on society and the events of the past 24 hours show how much it has infiltrated our game.

I believe it should go the way of alcohol and tobacco advertising- banned.

Someone mentioned its seeming increase since Gil has taken charge.

The mixed messages given to young kids is a disgrace.

The AFL fraternity has normalised gambling to the point it invades us whenever we watch a game or footy related TV show or when we attend a game.

The bloody Big Freeze was even sponsored by a betting company.

The fact AFL had the Stephenson information for a few weeks, and conveniently roll it out just prior to Gil's big sorry fans speech is just laughable.

Stand on your own feet and cut ties with these leeches
100% agree.
Gambling is an evil

As a relative outsider here, is the primary issue the idea that it's hypocritical for the AFL to accept gambling sponsorship while it is simultaneously responsible for regulating player behaviour in this regard?
That would have been been the suspicion behind the reasoning for the FAs decision to cut their ties with Ladbrokes.
So essentially this is just about the governing body, not the clubs, similar to football in the UK where numerous clubs would still have betting companies as their primary shirt sponsor even though the FA itself has banned gambling sponsorship.
OR, is there any significant support for a model closer to the GAA approach, which was to ban it outright from the sport?
No shirt sponsorship.
No 'official betting partners'.
No stadium advertising etc.

As a relative outsider here, is the primary issue the idea that it's hypocritical for the AFL to accept gambling sponsorship while it is simultaneously responsible for regulating player behaviour in this regard?
That would have been been the suspicion behind the reasoning for the FAs decision to cut their ties with Ladbrokes.
So essentially this is just about the governing body, not the clubs, similar to football in the UK where numerous clubs would still have betting companies as their primary shirt sponsor even though the FA itself has banned gambling sponsorship.
OR, is there any significant support for a model closer to the GAA approach, which was to ban it outright from the sport?
No shirt sponsorship.

Great post- I would say the latter option is the most in line with the AFLs apparent stance as moral arbiter - it's bad parenting if only the parents abstain yet allow the kids to do what they want.

I am gobsmacked by Gil's response to this issue- which was essentially- well, um everyone else is doing it so why can't we?

No shirt sponsorship.

I think the issue is that bookmakers (except TAB) used to be banned from all TV advertising. This law changed to be in line with more socially destructive vices like alcohol, which people were used to seeing being advertised legally and plentifully.

So I think it is more about change.

Also the voiceover guy on the sportsbet ads is pretty effing annoying.

No. Be an adult - be responsible for your own lifestyle choices.

I can gamble without becoming addicted. Why should millions like me be punished because of people that can't control themselves?

How about some personal responsibility once you hit 18.

Please explain how anyone would be punished if gambling ads were banned?

No one is stopping you punting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sponsorship void will be quickly filled

You going to get an "official betting partner" that isn't involved in gambling?

Plus, the TV stations live off the gambling companies money. They give them massive price breaks because of the quantity and consistency of the advertising.

If there was someone willing to pay more or equal amounts in sure they'd be preferenced over gambling companies.

It's beyond a joke

AT least in the UK the FA have the balls to cut ties with gambling companies

interesting reading

Yet the EFL doesn’t, all they have done is some symbolic crap.
They lose about 1% of revenue and allow everyone else (the leagues and clubs) to continue to do the exact same as what is happening with the AFL.
The AFL is comparable to EFL and FA combined so it isn’t comparable at all because they can pretend to accept the money on behalf of the league and not the sport and it would be exactly what they are doing.

Yet the EFL doesn’t, all they have done is some symbolic crap.
They lose about 1% of revenue and allow everyone else (the leagues and clubs) to continue to do the exact same as what is happening with the AFL.
The AFL is comparable to EFL and FA combined so it isn’t comparable at all because they can pretend to accept the money on behalf of the league and not the sport and it would be exactly what they are doing.
Cheers for clarification- not a massive soccer fan so assumed FA would be AFL equivalent.

Cheers for clarification- not a massive soccer fan so assumed FA would be AFL equivalent.

Yep, the clubs will still be allowed to be sponsored by gambling companies. I suspect the day isn't too far away when the first AFL club has a gambling company as their main sponsor if things don't change.

Yep, the clubs will still be allowed to be sponsored by gambling companies. I suspect the day isn't too far away when the first AFL club has a gambling company as their main sponsor if things don't change.

not far off now

lions renewing jumper sponsorship with bookmaker

pretty sure saints had big gambling company as sponsor a few years back.

Funny how some clubs have gambling sponsors- 4 years after this

I think betting companies have evolved beyond advertisements. Yes they still do a lot it, but they're now producing online videos previewing games and podcasts which the AFL media actually listen to and generate discussion from.

These companies are targeting the younger generation via digital media and nothing's being done to regulate it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL Should Ban Gambling Advertising At Games and During AFL Broadcasts

Back