The AFL's anti-doping tribunal

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course there should be a penalty, that's the law of the anti-doping code the AFL has in place. I'm just wondering which part of your arse you got "the entire club should be banned for 2 years" from.
Give Essendon to the dogs, just like your uncle. :)

If you nuke us you're in big trouble. We will send you a very, very nasty letter.

My problem with my nukes at the moment is, my nukes, I don't have any nukes :(

It's hard being a dictator sometimes.

Yeah ok, and what do you think should happen if the players were in fact 'duped' and were unwittingly pumped full of banned and untested subtances by Essendon employees?

This should be good....

The players should overcome their convenient memory lapse and recall that as part of a professional sporting code they receive clear information about doping and what not to do. I fail to see how 34 players could have been equally stupid and naive. Do ASADA and the AFL really need to include examples in their anti-doping training like:

1. A person at your club who is not the club doctor wants to inject a substance that you do not recognise into you to improve your football. Should you:

A) trust the person, sign waivers and commit to a long term injection program
B) try the injection once and see what happens, then continue with the injections if it feels like it makes you play better
C) seek further advice from the person or your coach then take the injection because they say it will be fine
D) do not take the injection and seek further advice on the substance and its status from someone qualified

2. You remember from your anti-doping training that there was something about injections and prohibited methods under the AFL drug code. Do you:

A) ignore the idea because if you don't check then you didn't know
B) check, and remind your coach and the person injecting people that some injections are a prohibited method under the AFL drug code
C) jump on board and have lots of injections

Agreed.This thread is full of people hanging the Essendon 34 on hear say and innuendo,but the same hear say and innuendo cannot be used to find the players not guilty.Also yes I have a huge interest in this case as a Port Adelaide fan with 2 players and a huge recruit involved,but also I know a vendetta by opposition fans of Essendon when I see one.Countless threads about this subject are exactly that,also early days and it is lodged in documents for the 1st Hird/Essendon vs ASADA case is a guarentee from ASADA that any player who co-operated with investigators would only get a 6 month ban....selective memory by alot in this subject

I guess I agree with the player welfare, however, when that same player disregards his own welfare, by not asking appropriate questions, even of their union, then stuff them. Don't feel sorry for them, they've got every chance of seeking guidance, and choose not to.

That's why people are, in your terms, hanging them. My point is, why do football players have more rights, more money, less responsibility under the same code as an individual, such as an Olympic athlete?

Can anyone tell me why, we can ban several Chinese officials, coaching staff, and, athletes, yet we can't here, even in plain sight of an obvious cover up?

Agreed.This thread is full of people hanging the Essendon 34 on hear say and innuendo,but the same hear say and innuendo cannot be used to find the players not guilty.Also yes I have a huge interest in this case as a Port Adelaide fan with 2 players and a huge recruit involved,but also I know a vendetta by opposition fans of Essendon when I see one.Countless threads about this subject are exactly that,also early days and it is lodged in documents for the 1st Hird/Essendon vs ASADA case is a guarentee from ASADA that any player who co-operated with investigators would only get a 6 month ban....selective memory by alot in this subject
There was never any guarantee. The code offers discounts if they offer substantial assistance, not for co-operating. The AFL contracts required them to co-operate or they risked being de-registered.

Last edited:
So Chinese swimmers and athletes that are duped, should also receive no punishment?

The whole team. Banned for two years. The whole team. Have a think.

that would hurt wouldn't it?
that penalty you would think would make other teams think twice about trying to dope players.
No penalties not so much

Hang on. So banning a whole team, including players who didn't even receive an IN?

I'm just trying to get this right and this is what you guys are actually suggesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on. So banning a whole team, including players who didn't even receive an IN?

I'm just trying to get this right and this is what you guys are actually suggesting.
no i am not suggesting that at all, i said it would make other teams think again.
But i do believe if the club is found to have doped their players, and the players are found not guilty, then the "club" should be punished for cheating.
What the penalty should be i son't know, but it should certainly hurt the club

no i am not suggesting that at all, i said it would make other teams think again.
But i do believe if the club is found to have doped their players, and the players are found not guilty, then the "club" should be punished for cheating.
What the penalty should be i son't know, but it should certainly hurt the club

Ok that's a bit different. It pays to clarify your position unlike other posters who spew mindless garbage.

I'm inclined to think the whole team banned is a strange response.

I mean, if the idea was to make a magnificent gesture and deterrence and all, we could ban every AFL team for 2 years! That'll learn em

Change to a round ball for 2 years ya think, that'll learn the AFL
Genius if I may say so - the AFL haven't been made accountable yet. Why didn't I think of this before? I'm writing to the Minister. Or ASADA. Or Bruce Francis.

I have little faith that a deserving sanction will be imposed in this case. I could well be wrong. I mean Hird is still coaching - WTF!

I do find it very amusing that some people are concerned (some posters, even commentators, albeit pretty dumb commentators) are concerned about
a weak Essendon side taking the field for 6 weeks or so. Concerns like unevenness of the competition and derailing Essendon's season etc are laughable.

What they should really be concerned with is... If players are suspended, player agents will sue EFC.

That will virtually bring EFC to it's knees.

You wonder then will Little and Hird still be considered the shit don't stink saviours of the Club?

I agree but the AFL is an arrogant organisation that has been treating the punters like fools for years but they are playing with fire re this one.

So many people hate Hird and Essendon's attitude/approach to all of this. They can give food away and crowds will fall if they try and pull a shifty on this one. McDevitt will not stay quiet if he feels they have been done over.

McDevitt can then refer back to the positive tests he has on any players. If the players are not guilty, best for Asada to realise they blew it and get over it ASAP

The whole team. Banned for two years. The whole team. Have a think.

No, you have a think. This shouldn't be about the competition, it should be about making sure that harmful, illegal substances are wiped from the game.

If the club and players have systematically gone above and beyond to challenge the edges of the system, stuff them.

They've got every excuse under the sun; yet couldn't pick up the phone to either the union or ASADA itself.

Stupidity is not a defence. Duping is not a defence.

I can't stand poor ethical choices. Second to that is the hypocrites that hate lance Armstrong, joke about the Chinese swim teams; yet we have a team based systematic ploy to get off all charges because they have no paperwork.

Banister was banned for 18 months, for failing to give an appropriate address update. So he missed 3 tests.

Missed 3 tests. That's it. Why should Essendon players get small time, or out of season credits or no punishment? Tell me.

What's worse is that we have a Brownlow winner, who is given the award in part based on fairness; yet he knows he was injected with a non-approved drug for human use.

Where's his morals?

Last edited:
No, you have a think. This shouldn't be about the competition, it should be about making sure that harmful, illegal substances are wiped from the game.

If the club and players have systematically gone above and beyond to challenge the edges of the system, stuff them.

They've got every excuse under the sun; yet couldn't pick up the phone to either the union or ASADA itself.

Stupidity is not a defence. Duping is not a defence.

I can't stand poor ethical choices. Second to that is the hypocrites that hate lance Armstrong, joke about the Chinese swim teams; yet we have a team based systematic ploy to get off all charges because they have no paperwork.

Banister was banned for 18 months, for failing to give an appropriate address update. So he missed 3 tests.

Missed 3 tests. That's it. Why should Essendon players get small time, or out of season credits or no punishment? Tell me.

What's worse is that we have a Brownlow winner, who is given the award in part based on fairness; yet he knows he was injected with a non-approved drug for human use.

Where's his morals?
Because we gave appropriate address updates unlike GWS and their poor governance.

Tell me why we should be punished any further than poor governance?

I have no problem with teams pushing the absolute edge, its when you go on the other side of that line i have a problem, whether that has happened we still dont know.

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL's anti-doping tribunal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back