Women's Footy The AFLW Thread – Week 9 vs. Hawthorn @ Cazalys Stadium, Cairns (Thursday, 7:45pm AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean the women won't be playing as a curtain raiser for AFL fixtures, or they just won't do that at places like the MCG or SCG? If they're not going to piggyback the men's games, they'll be lucky to get 50 people to a game.
Running in the offseason - Feb-March fixture. It's not going toe-to-toe with the blokes.

Running in the offseason - Feb-March fixture. It's not going toe-to-toe with the blokes.
Big mistake
IMO
Should have played them as curtain raisers to the AFL or even VFL Wafl and Sanfl games
No one will watch them as stand alone games

Picking on cricket... makes sense I suppose, no one watches shield games and the big rubbish Big Bash will be over by then, I presume. Still, I would've thought they'd have the girls games before the AFL matches so people turn up early and make a day of it and get involved from there. Hoping people have nothing better to do so they'll turn up out of the blue is a gamble.

Picking on cricket... makes sense I suppose, no one watches shield games and the big rubbish Big Bash will be over by then, I presume. Still, I would've thought they'd have the girls games before the AFL matches so people turn up early and make a day of it and get involved from there. Hoping people have nothing better to do so they'll turn up out of the blue is a gamble.
Think about February. You have almost no sport. BBL is done, A-League is in the wait-for-finals mode, no NAB yet. There is a definite entertainment gap. People are craving footy at that point. A women's league would slot in nicely. 7 week season puts finals in late March. Either time the finals so the GF is standalone on the weekend before Rd1 or arrange for the GF to be on Good Friday.

Think about February. You have almost no sport. BBL is done, A-League is in the wait-for-finals mode, no NAB yet. There is a definite entertainment gap. People are craving footy at that point. A women's league would slot in nicely. 7 week season puts finals in late March. Either time the finals so the GF is standalone on the weekend before Rd1 or arrange for the GF to be on Good Friday.

I'm craving footy, doesn't mean I'll watch a sub standard competition though and I reckon after the first couple weeks you'll see less than a cpl hundred people at the women's games

This is a big win for our club and a huge tick for the administration staff we have in place now - they (and the Bulldogs) read the play faster than any of the other clubs and it is a credit to them that we were considered a monty for this while other 'big' clubs were sweating over it.

This is a big win for our club and a huge tick for the administration staff we have in place now - they (and the Bulldogs) read the play faster than any of the other clubs and it is a credit to them that we were considered a monty for this while other 'big' clubs were sweating over it.
Yup.

What's more I think it's given the MFC a huge hop. Daisy IS women's footy - and she's going to wear #31 in red and blue in 2016. Huge for the club going forward.

Why would you schedule the game on Good Friday? AFL teams have been lining up for it for yonks and there's no way in hell the women should be getting first crack at it just to attempt to boost attendances. A couple of Vic teams playing at the MCG will be an almost guaranteed full house, and fans will pay category A to get in. Putting the women on then would just be throwing money away.

Still think for the first year or two they should play as curtain raisers for the mens game, it just helps get as many eyes on the game as possible early on and gives people a look at what they have to offer.

After the first two years hopefully people have latched on and they can separate it and play it away from the mens game.

The Casey Scorpions, as the regions premium football organisation, is seeking open age female footballers to part take in our

clubs inaugural "Elite Football Development Program". The program will begin in late June and run for 6 weeks out of our facility here at Casey Fields and is open to all present/past female footballers and those who currently participate in other sports and would like to give AFL a go.

The program will cover all the aspects involved in playing this great game - skill development, game day education, nutrition, high performance testing and leadership. We as a club currently provide elite pathways for men as a VFL club, and we now envisage being able to provide this pathway to female footballers who wish to participate in this program.

An information night will be held at 7pm on Wednesday 22nd June at the clubs Function room here at Casey Fields. This night will cover the program’s goals and will also give all participants an insight into our facility and what we can offer with the program.

To register your interest please follow this link - Elite Football Development Programhttps://www.clubdata.com.au/NewContactShort/casey-scorpions-football-club.aspx

The Casey Scorpions goal is to provide all footballers with the opportunity to play this great game at the highest level through providing you with the best football resources available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Casey Scorpions, as the regions premium football organisation, is seeking open age female footballers to part take in our

clubs inaugural "Elite Football Development Program". The program will begin in late June and run for 6 weeks out of our facility here at Casey Fields and is open to all present/past female footballers and those who currently participate in other sports and would like to give AFL a go.

The program will cover all the aspects involved in playing this great game - skill development, game day education, nutrition, high performance testing and leadership. We as a club currently provide elite pathways for men as a VFL club, and we now envisage being able to provide this pathway to female footballers who wish to participate in this program.

An information night will be held at 7pm on Wednesday 22nd June at the clubs Function room here at Casey Fields. This night will cover the program’s goals and will also give all participants an insight into our facility and what we can offer with the program.

To register your interest please follow this link - Elite Football Development Programhttps://www.clubdata.com.au/NewContactShort/casey-scorpions-football-club.aspx

The Casey Scorpions goal is to provide all footballers with the opportunity to play this great game at the highest level through providing you with the best football resources available.

Is this available to some of the Melbourne listed players? Few blokes could use some developing of the foot skills.

Why would you schedule the game on Good Friday? AFL teams have been lining up for it for yonks and there's no way in hell the women should be getting first crack at it just to attempt to boost attendances. A couple of Vic teams playing at the MCG will be an almost guaranteed full house, and fans will pay category A to get in. Putting the women on then would just be throwing money away.

Not if you play that as a curtain raiser.

Also

http://m.theage.com.au/sport/afl-20...reatens-to-hang-up-boots-20160615-gpjv26.html

Daisy threatening to retire if she can't play at the MFC

Ah, righto.

Great and all that Daisy wants to play here, but that's a poor message to send out. Saying that, would've thought us and the Dogs would get to retain at least one player from the list.
Perhaps but it's not all that different to 'star player nominates club of choice'

Perhaps but it's not all that different to 'star player nominates club of choice'

Which I don't imagine anyone appreciates other than some of the fans from said club of choice?

Which I don't imagine anyone appreciates other than some of the fans from said club of choice?

Maybe not but I'm with her 100% on this (and not just because I'm a Dees fan).

She's been a massive part of the team that has paved the way for this women's league and she bleeds red and blue. If there was a chance of then being torn away from the team she loves and helped build she has every right to mark her territory. She's more than earned it.

Maybe not but I'm with her 100% on this (and not just because I'm a Dees fan).

She's been a massive part of the team that has paved the way for this women's league and she bleeds red and blue. If there was a chance of then being torn away from the team she loves and helped build she has every right to mark her territory. She's more than earned it.

And I agree with that, but why detract from the 2017 competition announcement by discussing this? If each team can sign a marquee player or whatever, then it's pretty obvious she'd be the one for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy The AFLW Thread – Week 9 vs. Hawthorn @ Cazalys Stadium, Cairns (Thursday, 7:45pm AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back