The Amount Of Crownies Sunk @ The Brownlow?

Remove this Banner Ad

b-t-gizzle

Senior List
Jul 22, 2004
M e L B O u R N e
AFL Club
Essendon
just wondering if anyone has an idea about the number of crownies that were consumed last night?

there were at least 30 on every table at all times!

plus i'd guess a few were sunk @ the crown lager after party @ the promenade later on...

Product Placement!

I would bet that they were deliberately left on the tables for advertising purposes, knowing the cameras would pick them up.

Some players had 4 or 5 beers in front of them. At any half decent function i've been to the empties are taken away by the staff fairly quickly and regularly. Im sure that if there were no cameras the staff would have cleared them away.

Philzsay said:
Product Placement!

I would bet that they were deliberately left on the tables for advertising purposes, knowing the cameras would pick them up.

Some players had 4 or 5 beers in front of them. At any half decent function i've been to the empties are taken away by the staff fairly quickly and regularly. Im sure that if there were no cameras the staff would have cleared them away.
Of course. But it kind of damages the idea that the Brownlow is a "black tie" function. If I turned up to a black tie function and the beer was served in bottles, let alone not cleared away, I wouldn't be impressed.

But apparently $ can by anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tapestry said:
Some of the ones on the table weren't there to be drunk. They do a commemerative label with the medal on it which is put at every place setting at all the official functions around the country. We've got a couple from 2002.
Yeah me too, I look at them when Im out of beer. Weighing up should I?, Shouldn't I? It's torture!!

arrowman said:
Interesting, after the fuss about dress code, that the AFL seems to think it's appropriate to serve beer in bottles and not glasses.

$$$$$$$$$$ :p

No.

Glasses were on all tables. Those who prefer to suck on a bottle chose to not use the glass provided. Only those with a bit of style used the glassware provided - from what i saw Voss, Hird, Acker amongst others.

Just goes to show that you can put a horse in a "black tie suit" but you can't stop him from pretending he was at a barby.

peejay said:
No.

Glasses were on all tables. Those who prefer to suck on a bottle chose to not use the glass provided. Only those with a bit of style used the glassware provided - from what i saw Voss, Hird, Acker amongst others.
Fair enough.
peejay said:
Just goes to show that you can put a horse in a "black tie suit" but you can't stop him from pretending he was at a barby.
So true.

Thank goodness someone finally mentioned the glasses before I got to the end of this thread. You have to wonder how many functions some people have been to! I've yet to attend a function where beer was available that had waiters bringing it to the table in glasses as required. There were always big bowls in the middle with the beer and buckets with the wine, a couple of jugs of water and a couple of jugs of soft drink, and a plethora of glasses for everyone to pour their own drinks into. I've attended many many footy and business dinners, black tie/lounge suit/dinner suit/cocktail dress style over the years, and each and every have been the same.

tapestry said:
Thank goodness someone finally mentioned the glasses before I got to the end of this thread.
Shrug, I didn't notice the glasses, owned.
tapestry said:
You have to wonder how many functions some people have been to!
Quite a few, actually.
tapestry said:
I've yet to attend a function where beer was available that had waiters bringing it to the table in glasses as required.
Maybe, but black tie / silver service dictates that the beer is poured into a glass by the waiter, and the empty bottle is removed immediately.
tapestry said:
There were always big bowls in the middle with the beer and buckets with the wine, a couple of jugs of water and a couple of jugs of soft drink, and a plethora of glasses for everyone to pour their own drinks into. I've attended many many footy and business dinners, black tie/lounge suit/dinner suit/cocktail dress style over the years, and each and every have been the same.
A genuine black tie, formal function does not have "buckets and bowls" for the drinks, and it certainly doesn't involve leaving large numbers of empties on the table.

I admit that the Brownlow, while a formal occasion, falls into that category of function where you don't expect full silver service standards. But I still think that a table cluttered with empty bottles is below the standard you should expect at a function like this, and that attendees to use the glasses get a "tick" for etiquette, and those who drink from the bottles get a "cross".

There's a difference between a function where people (and waiting staff) are dressing up and pretending, but not making any real effort, and one where the "formal" standards are actually met.

Am I being pedantic? Yes, sorry. Shrug.

Berwick Bollinger…classic

It makes me laugh seeing blokes drinking Crownies thinking think they are like some sort of royalty. Truth is it is an ordinary beer, probably Victorias worst produce. It is like drinking black label cougar…a classy bogan.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Amount Of Crownies Sunk @ The Brownlow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back