The Ashes - Australia vs England 2010/11 Test Series.

Remove this Banner Ad

And some questioned me when I said we were gone, and couldn't win this test, pfft.

Even without picking Beer, this side is terrible, it lacks any real "punch" whatsoever, and has no star power.

It's stars are now too old, and the replacements or newcomers aren't up to it.

As amazing as it seems though, this test isn't over yet, with the Poms batting last, if Australia can somehow find one bowler capable of getting wickets, and they can keep the Poms under 350, this game is still on.

Tomorrow will decide whether Australia still have a chance in the Ashes series or not, they simply have to bowl the poms out, or go very close to it by stumps.

I'm praying a miracle happens tomorrow, because it may be our last chance to get back into this series.

Yeh test is still far from over due to us bowling last, unfortunately due to our bowling attack I can't see us getting England out, therefore they will declare at 5 for 500 odd and have two days to bowl at us again. Our batting line up really needs to give our bowling line up a real target to defend.

Tremlet is a far better bowler then Broad this series and the Broad injury is a blessing in disguse for England. Tremlet offered up far better then anything Broad has offered in the Aus A tour match and again now. Incedentally White made a 100 in that same tour match, that said he just isn't playing enough state cricket with all his 20/20 commitments.

Picking Smith and Hughes is almost like going in at least one batsmen short IMO. Neither have done enough to be selected on form, you couldn't be confident about either making runs for your side so we have picked both in hope. Pointing is getting a lot of stick but Clarke is getting off light. As I have mentioned earlier I don't think Clarke's 20/20 captaincy has been anything short of poor and his current batting form is as bad if not worse then punters.

Yeh test is still far from over due to us bowling last, unfortunately due to our bowling attack I can't see us getting England out, therefore they will declare at 5 for 500 odd and have two days to bowl at us again. Our batting line up really needs to give our bowling line up a real target to defend.

Tremlet is a far better bowler then Broad this series and the Broad injury is a blessing in disguse for England. Tremlet offered up far better then anything Broad has offered in the Aus A tour match and again now. Incedentally White made a 100 in that same tour match, that said he just isn't playing enough state cricket with all his 20/20 commitments.

Picking Smith and Hughes is almost like going in at least one batsmen short IMO. Neither have done enough to be selected on form, you couldn't be confident about either making runs for your side so we have picked both in hope. Pointing is getting a lot of stick but Clarke is getting off light. As I have mentioned earlier I don't think Clarke's 20/20 captaincy has been anything short of poor and his current batting form is as bad if not worse then punters.

Our choice of spinners is so light I honestly think that we could do worse than selecting Smith as a spinner and batting him at 8 as extra batting depth.

As frustrating as Johnson can be I think his importance as our only real strike bowler (as out of form as he has been) means he is a selection must.

I totally agree with you about Clarke. I think it is at the point where we are better off sending him in for surgery and let him have that year off to get himself right. He is on a downward slide right now and I can't se it getting better with his injury. If he gets it right we could get another 5 good years out of him. I can't see that in him atm tbh. I think he covets the captaincy too much however.

After this series I think we really need to start thinking about the future. I'd like to see us select a side like this:

Watson
Hill (Hughes looks all over the shop)
Ponting
Khawaja
Hussey
Haddin
McDonald
Smith
Johnson
Siddle
Starc (or best strike bowler in the country) > Hazlewood, Christian

Post Ponting i'd be looking at moving Khawaja up the order and bringing White into the middle order, Haddin (c), White (vc). Maddinson is another batting option worth keeping an eye on.

Perhaps a bit drastic, but desperate times and all that...

I wouldn't drop Hughes. If we lose this test I'd keep playing him for the rest of the series, give him as much experience as he can get, with the likelihood that Katich may never play again. At least he's shown he can play so he's worth getting right in the short term.

BTW, Hill is the same age as Hughes and Hughes has already pealed off centuries for Australia.

After this series I think we really need to start thinking about the future. I'd like to see us select a side like this:

Watson
Hill (Hughes looks all over the shop)
Ponting
Khawaja
Hussey
Haddin
McDonald
Smith
Johnson
Siddle
Starc (or best strike bowler in the country) > Hazlewood, Christian

Post Ponting i'd be looking at moving Khawaja up the order and bringing White into the middle order, Haddin (c), White (vc). Maddinson is another batting option worth keeping an eye on.

Perhaps a bit drastic, but desperate times and all that...

After this series I'd like to see Ponting retire. If we are serious about a re build he needs to.

Clarke won't be dropped because he is the next "captain" which is ridiculous.

I would drop Watson down the order so he can bowl as much as we need him to but that opens up the top of the order which is struggling as it is.

I wouldn't drop Hughes. If we lose this test I'd keep playing him for the rest of the series, give him as much experience as he can get, with the likelihood that Katich may never play again. At least he's shown he can play so he's worth getting right in the short term.

BTW, Hill is the same age as Hughes and Hughes has already pealed off centuries for Australia.

I agree on Hughes I think he needs to be given the time, in fact I think that's why it was such a dumb decision to have dropped him in the first place, I'd dare say this lack of form is as a result of a chain reaction of things due to being dumped in the first place and his initial dumping was harsh. I can't see him coming good at the moment but he needs to be given the chance.

After this series I'd like to see Ponting retire. If we are serious about a re build he needs to.

Clarke won't be dropped because he is the next "captain" which is ridiculous.

I would drop Watson down the order so he can bowl as much as we need him to but that opens up the top of the order which is struggling as it is.

I don't see punter retiring as a foward step simply because I don't think there are enough guys ready, he really isn't holding anyone back and we don't have a number of guys ready to bat at 3. Touting Clarke as the next captain has really bite us in the bumb on a number of fronts, I agree with Quicky that the best bet is for him to get his back right but I too think he is holding out because he doesn't want to miss the chance to be skipper.

If punter did retire then something like this could work

Hill
Hughes
Watson
Clarke
Khawaja
Hussey
Haddin
Smith
Johnson
Siddle
Hazlewood

Assuming Katich may never play again, and I don't think we have another number three option other then Watson. Hazlewood if fit has to play IMO and too be honest Smith too, two of the more exciting and talanted up and coming cricketers we have produced in a long time.

On Watson, I think Gilchrist mentioned yesterday that he had asked Watson about his bowling and Watson said "he feels he is bowling about the right amount of overs for his body" so I think we can kiss him bowling more goodbye to be honest.

Wow that was bad, it really is the kind of thing that happens to a team that is broken mentally, your not expecting / ready for a chance and so it catches you off gaurd when you get one and your caught worrying about other things. Really the placement and awareness of both guys was off and it was ugly as it gets.

One aspect of the future of Aus cricket that isn't in doubt is the wicket keeper batsmen. Paine is a dead set gun, Wade has a heap of talent as does Simpson. Too think not to long ago the biggest question in Aus cricket was who would step up when Gilly retired.

You know things are good when Pricey isn't involved in this thread :). Bell should probably be batting at 4 I still feel, great batsmen too good to be left stranded with the tail too often.

You know things are good when Pricey isn't involved in this thread :). Bell should probably be batting at 4 I still feel, great batsmen too good to be left stranded with the tail too often.
wtf is going on here? Mitch bowling well? jesus.

wtf is going on here? Mitch bowling well? jesus.
He only bowls well in Perth, don't worry, he'll stink up the MCG and the SCG, but he will probably get Australia a win here on his own.:)

He only bowls well in Perth, don't worry, he'll stink up the MCG and the SCG, but he will probably get Australia a win here on his own.:)

So he has taken 63 wickets in two years consecutively only playing well in Perth? Turn it up, his form is up and down but he is a genuine wicket taker.

On the MCG punter has a wonderful record there for god sake I hope he gets a few in Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnson was on fire today, Harris was excellent and Siddle bowled to a poor plan. Hilfenhaus was swinging it well but the commentators mentioned he needs to bowl wider from the crease and straighter to get the most out of his swing and make it tricky for the right handers. I totally agree and it's frustrating because it is just a minor adjustment in the scheme of things.

Ponting was pretty insipid in his captaincy after lunch today. We were lucky to arse that Siddle wicket. I don't have the fuzziest what he was thinking bowling Siddle around the wicket and forcing every delivery to be short. Losing his wicket almost identically to how Prior stuffed up was also pretty weak. This batting line up needs a shake up and I think Ponting and Clarke are at the heart of our problem. Clarke atleast had a crack today.

McDonald got 3 wickets today for the vics btw.

Johnson was on fire today, Harris was excellent and Siddle bowled to a poor plan. Hilfenhaus was swinging it well but the commentators mentioned he needs to bowl wider from the crease and straighter to get the most out of his swing and make it tricky for the right handers. I totally agree and it's frustrating because it is just a minor adjustment in the scheme of things.

Ponting was pretty insipid in his captaincy after lunch today. We were lucky to arse that Siddle wicket. I don't have the fuzziest what he was thinking bowling Siddle around the wicket and forcing every delivery to be short. Losing his wicket almost identically to how Prior stuffed up was also pretty weak. This batting line up needs a shake up and I think Ponting and Clarke are at the heart of our problem. Clarke atleast had a crack today.

McDonald got 3 wickets today for the vics btw.

I am torn, I rate Ronald he is a really good all round cricketer. I would love to want him in the side, but right now I really think we need to add depth to the batting line up at number 6 and I think Khawaja should get that spot. That said I wouldn't be too disappointed if Haddin went to 6 McDonald in at 7 and Smith 8,

There's no use mentioning McDonald's name now, Australia are about to win a test match, the selectors will go into Melbourne with the same 11, guaranteed, if we do pull of the win, likely on Sunday.

And rightfully so, Hughes needs to be given more then 1 test, and Ponting and Clarke are going nowhere fast, we know that, so I can't see many changes being made.

I also hope Steve Smith keeps his spot, he is part of the future of Australian cricket, and needs a few tests in a row to show what he is capable of.

Loved watching Mitch today, I was babysitting my 18 month old niece, who was sleeping, so I watched in silence with subtitles, great stuff.:thumbsu:

I am torn, I rate Ronald he is a really good all round cricketer. I would love to want him in the side, but right now I really think we need to add depth to the batting line up at number 6 and I think Khawaja should get that spot. That said I wouldn't be too disappointed if Haddin went to 6 McDonald in at 7 and Smith 8,

My thoughts are that he is the perfect bowler to hold down an end - while still being an offensive threat - and allow us to use more offensive strike bowlers in the process. He'll also stiffen our tail. I think we need to come to the realisation that we arent the team we were and that these type of players could be really valuable to the balance of our line up. Maybe we should be aspiring to more, and he is getting on, but I think he is perfect for our needs right now.

Thoughts on O'Keefe as an option?

I know he failed with the bat in the state match today but this guy is a beast.

First class bowling average of 24.8 and batting average of 51.3. However this guy wasn't picked as the front line spinner before Doherty and Beer is absolutely ridiculous. He's the best spin bowler in Australian first class cricket since a young man named Stewart.

How stupid were Harris and Johnson before tea? I wanted to strangle both of them. Huss is a superstar again.

I asked for a miracle, and we get given PERTH.:thumbsu:

The WACA is the greatest graveyard in world cricket for the English, they simply can not play on this ground.

1 win EVER in Perth, and that was when our best players were suspended for taking part in World Series Cricket.

Damn wish I had of remembered that, would have backed the Aussies to win a shitload.

Oh well, will have to settle for backing Hussey to make a ton in either innings at 4.00.:thumbsu:

5/81, last ball wicket, does it get any better?

8 days till Boxing Day test starts, can not wait to be there (day 2 and 3 tickets).:thumbsu:

Pricey's been a bit quiet today hasn't he.:p

Considering on day one we were"pathetic", it's one of the joys of test match cricket the way it turns around. Three days ago no one gave us a hope of winning a match let alone the series now after a comprehensive smashing of the poms it's likely to be even again both in the series and on momentum. Although we haven't won this just yet Bell hypothetical could still get them across the line but it would take something really special.

Can we get a price check in this thread please?

Can't wait for boxing day, interesting too see whether we go into melbourne with 4 quicks, it worked this test but melbourne has a very different pitch to perth, siddle was very under bowled smith and watson didn't bowl at all. I am still tempted to drop a quick probably siddle for Usman

Can we get a price check in this thread please?

Can't wait for boxing day, interesting too see whether we go into melbourne with 4 quicks, it worked this test but melbourne has a very different pitch to perth, siddle was very under bowled smith and watson didn't bowl at all. I am still tempted to drop a quick probably siddle for Usman

I'd keep Sidzy in, let Watson concentrate on batting and have him as a back up quick. Can never have too many bowlers.

If Punter is out, I would seriously bring in Hodgey (althought they wont) home ground, makes runs constantly and is a nightmare to get out as he knows how to hang around ala Hussey. They are the sort of players who win you test matches, however boring to watch they may be, and Hussey is a testament to this.

My Ideal side would be.

Watson - Good opener, good bowler
Katich - Makes runs constantly and rarely gives wicket away
Ponting - Proven as the best 3 in the world, can score huge runs
Hodge - Scores everywhere and against anyone, so hard to get out
Hussey - See above
Clarke - Although I don't like him, keeps his place as can be a great bat
Haddin - Good gloveman, toss up with him and Paine, more experience
Smith - All rounder and probably the best spinner we have.
Johnson - All rounder, good x factor
Harris - Takes wickets and has mongrel
Hilfy - Can be economic and move the ball.

We bat so deep with this side and that top order would be a nightmare to get out. We have had in recent times too many players who throw wickets away.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Ashes - Australia vs England 2010/11 Test Series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back