The Ashes - Australia vs England 2010/11 Test Series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The Ashes - Australia vs England Test Series.

i said should due to the weather. If it doesnt rain and affect play then England will bowl out Australia. I will be dissapointed if we cant.
Not happy with our bowling attack and performances? Day 1 we bowled out Australia lol. We were a bit unlucky earlier today but all in all im happy with what they have produced.
Swann in the 1st innings bowled great as did Anderson. Would like to get more out of Broad however

You bowled Australia out for 245 on the first day the same way we bowled you out for 260 on the second. A lot of it comes down to luck. Swan bowled pretty well. He is over rated though, an off spinner who doesn't chuck or have a ball that goes the other way can only do so much damage to orders, although the number of left handers in our side will help him. Anderson bowled well as he did at the Gabba. Finn and Broad are rubbish. Anderson is very reliant on the new ball and Swann is a good bowler but not good enough to make up for the overall make up of the attack.

You bowled Australia out for 245 on the first day the same way we bowled you out for 260 on the second. A lot of it comes down to luck. Swan bowled pretty well. He is over rated though, an off spinner who doesn't chuck or have a ball that goes the other way can only do so much damage to orders, although the number of left handers in our side will help him. Anderson bowled well as he did at the Gabba. Finn and Broad are rubbish. Anderson is very reliant on the new ball and Swann is a good bowler but not good enough to make up for the overall make up of the attack.

Swan is overated? lol. He is a damn good bowler. There was no luck with the 1st innings. Katich was stupid and they shouldnt have lost that wicket, the rest was good bowling. How is good bowling luck?

I wouldnt say Finn is rubbish, its his 1st season with the side and he has shown promise leading up to the Ashes and his bowling at the GABBA was good.

Australia 2 wickets down :D

Swan is overated? lol. He is a damn good bowler. There was no luck with the 1st innings. Katich was stupid and they shouldnt have lost that wicket, the rest was good bowling. How is good bowling luck?

I wouldnt say Finn is rubbish, its his 1st season with the side and he has shown promise leading up to the Ashes and his bowling at the GABBA was good.

Australia 2 wickets down :D

He is a damn good bowler but people talk about him like he is in the same league as Mutiah and Warne and he isn't.

A run out is luck to bowling side, or poor batting either way your bowling attack doesn't have much to do with run outs. Anderson gets the chance to bowl to Pointing as a result of that run out and the rest is history even then it was more poor batting then good bowling. Both of North and Watson threw there wickets away with poor batting as opposed to being bowled out by good bowling. Watson has a habit of this and I would be worried about it if I were a selector. He has a terrible conversion rate of turning 50's into 100's and given he is our best player currently it's a real worry.

Finn right now is rubbish he took a lot of soft wickets in Brisbane.

The difference between the way the two bowling line ups have looked over the past 2 test matches is much more a result of the batting then the bowling. Although having a guy like Swann to bowl on a pitch like this is a real difference between the two sides which is why I have been so strong on needing to pick an attacking spinner.

He is a damn good bowler but people talk about him like he is in the same league as Mutiah and Warne and he isn't.

A run out is luck to bowling side, or poor batting either way your bowling attack doesn't have much to do with run outs. Anderson gets the chance to bowl to Pointing as a result of that run out and the rest is history even then it was more poor batting then good bowling. Both of North and Watson threw there wickets away with poor batting as opposed to being bowled out by good bowling. Watson has a habit of this and I would be worried about it if I were a selector. He has a terrible conversion rate of turning 50's into 100's and given he is our best player currently it's a real worry.

Finn right now is rubbish he took a lot of soft wickets in Brisbane.

The difference between the way the two bowling line ups have looked over the past 2 test matches is much more a result of the batting then the bowling. Although having a guy like Swann to bowl on a pitch like this is a real difference between the two sides which is why I have been so strong on needing to pick an attacking spinner.

no one is talking up Swan to be in that league, he is ranked number 2 in the world in bowling so thats where the hype is but for people to think that is mind boggling.
Katich lost is wicket from a gem delivery from Anderson which played a part in the run out. Katich lost concentration in the appeal and Watson ran. You cant say it was more Australia's poor batting then England's bowling otherwise England can say the same about day 1 in Brisbane.
You have to remember England bowled without any luck in Brisbane in their 2nd dig at Australia and could have had 4-5 wickets with some luck early that in that sesh. In any innings you will have players who throw away their wickets but mainly England's bowling has been excellent this tour

no one is talking up Swan to be in that league, he is ranked number 2 in the world in bowling so thats where the hype is but for people to think that is mind boggling.
Katich lost is wicket from a gem delivery from Anderson which played a part in the run out. Katich lost concentration in the appeal and Watson ran. You cant say it was more Australia's poor batting then England's bowling otherwise England can say the same about day 1 in Brisbane.
You have to remember England bowled without any luck in Brisbane in their 2nd dig at Australia and could have had 4-5 wickets with some luck early that in that sesh. In any innings you will have players who throw away their wickets but mainly England's bowling has been excellent this tour

Infact I do say that about the Australian attack in the first innings. Of course in every innings their are batsmen who throw their wickets away the difference is how many the make prior and how many top order players do it. In the first innings Katich, North and Watson all did it and between them they made 80 odd. When 3 of your top 6 throw it away that easily you are always going to struggle to make runs. I think mainly Anderson has been excellent this tour and Swann to date has been passable (with a big chance to go to excellent over the next two days) but Finn and Broad have been a real release of pressure. I also think that Anderson has only looked dangerous with the new ball which means after the ball stops swinging you have a heap of pressure on Swan.

The rubbish kids reverse swing spell yesterday was extremely impressive, none the less he gets most of his wickets so far in the way he just got Hussey with an average to poor deleviery and an even worse shot.

I have to say part of that is due to his height and the ball rising more from a decent length, with that said surely as a batsmen you don't try to pull said balls until you have had a decent look. He has an uncanny knack of taking wickets with really average to poor bowling.

all i hear is excuses :D

Cocky english pricks, I can't get away from them until I was 22 I had to deal with playing with them and now on the comedy circut it's even worse, the rain will come, we will get away with a draw from this and go onto a pitch that will suit us and be 1-0 after being dominated for the first 2 tests, at which point the fragile poms will lose all hope and gaff the boxing day test giving us a 2 nil lead in a series we never deserved to win.

Seriously though I give credit where it's due your batting line up is first class. Bell coming in at 6 is a ridiculously strong line up, in fact I personally think he should bat higher, he is one of the best players in the world right now. Cook and Strauss is and ideal opening partnership, Trott has had a great start to his career although I am still not sold on him at 3 but that's a small issue.

England are the better side but that is just as much of a reflection of how bad Australia are right now as it is the strength of English cricket. Bad batting makes average bowling look great and good batting makes average bowling look rubbish and that's about how I see the sides right now. Your batting line up is fantastic and makes us pay for not having a good enough bowling attack our batting line up is average and makes your bowling line up look better then it is.

Haha so much for the above.

To be fair if we are going to lose them then I really hope we make some real positive moves foward in the process.

Hughes will come in for Katich anyway, as much as I rate Katich I think it's probably a good thing in the long run anyway. Hughes is a good player and if he can get his temprement right has a similar style to Cook. The problem is Cook's strengths are his concentration and temprement which is where Hughes needs to develop.

I also rate North as a kid I always said he'd play for Australia and was rapped when he did but you can't carry him at his age in a losing side, that spot needs to go to a younger player. White would be my preference followed by Usman.

I think a decision needs to be made on Watson too, he is a superb player but is he a batsmen or an all rounder? If he is a batsmen let him bat, leave him to open and make it clear that his job is to make runs, and big runs it can't be accepted that he gets 50-70 all the time. If he is an all rounder get more overs out of him and bat him in the middle order.

I would like to see Ricky move down to 4 or 5 but I just don't think you can do it unless Watson or Hussey goes to 3. Clarke isn't sound enough technically to bat 3 IMO.

On the bowling front we have huge work to do, it's easy to pick the type of bowlers we need but who are they from state level. We need a spinner who can turn the ball and either a quicky who is a good swing bowler or someone who is genuine express pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kreijza would be the man i would look at. Can go for a few runs but he gets you wickets.

I said that too but he is pretty out of favour, O'Keefe took a few against your full strength batting line up for australia a but I am not sold on him yet either. While we are on the topic of Australia A, England made a billion against them too which pretty much shows the strength of our bowling depth i.e there isn't much.

My thinking smacks of desperation and with Katich out it's a void point anyway but...... If Hughes comes in and plays well and Watson continues to make starts and not go on.......then hypothetically you could move Watson to 3 move Ricky down the order and open with Katich and Hughes (who is a guy who can go on to make big scores after he gets a start)

My thinking is this Ricky has been a huge part of our brillance for a long time. Early in the ashes series they showed the averages of each batting spot from 05-07 and 07-now the only massive difference was 3 averaged around 80 and now is at about 45. You need a guy in your top 3 to be making big scores often if you want to win test series, it sets the side up. It's hard for the guys at 5-7 if they are always coming in under huge pressure, cricket is a mental game and the difference in the way you play when your always under pressure and when your playing freely is huge.

Watson may be building, often guys starting out have this problem and then something clicks and they go onto convert more often, even Ricky had a similar thing.

With that said it maybe a mental thing with becoming a test opener, maybe he puts so much pressure on himself to get a good start that when he gets it and relaxes he lapses in concentration. Ricky down the order wouldn't be the worse thing for us either, he is still a very good player and is the type of fighting batsmen who could as Hussey has done, really thrive under pressure.

Brilliant.... just brilliant!

Swan and Anderson are bloody champs. England wont lose the Ashes from here.

I think we need to treat you as if your own child decided to go for Carlton. Maybe tie you to a tree and beat you until you see sense. Ideas anyone?

I think we need to treat you as if your own child decided to go for Carlton. Maybe tie you to a tree and beat you until you see sense. Ideas anyone?

suck it up boys, you couldnt be the best forever. England are better now then Australia.

I agree with Pricey. I think the Aussie will/are bottoming out. It's a shame we don't get draft picks. Having said that, I still think England are only a good test team, certainly not a great one. I just hope we get back up there sooner, rather than later.

I agree with Pricey. I think the Aussie will/are bottoming out. It's a shame we don't get draft picks. Having said that, I still think England are only a good test team, certainly not a great one. I just hope we get back up there sooner, rather than later.
yep agreed. We aint a great team. India and South Africa would be ahead of us for sure.

The way this has played out in the media has been laughable.

Hauritz has "reallly staked his claim" because he made 126, last time I checked he was trying to make the side as a spin bowler, his batting should almost be irrelevant, if we are after a spinner who can bat we may aswell just drop North down the order (as he is the only spinner we have picked since Krezja who even attempts to flight and turn the ball) if Hauritz is the best spinner in the country then pick him, but if that is the case we really need to find or develop a better one, justifying his selection based on his batting is a joke.

On Hauritz I know for a fact that as a junior he often asked to bowl with the wind if he was bowling to good players too make it harder for the batsmen to hit him over his head. For mine that is symbolic of the type of spin bowler we are picking, rather then backing himself in to use the wind to get a bit of drop, rather then wanting to take on the challenge of beating the batsmen in the flight we are picking these flat straight break bowlers who would rather bowl tidy darts then take a batsmen on.

The pressure for Ricky to stand down is pure scape goating lunacy. What has Michael Clarke done to suggest he will be any better? His 20/20 captaincy for mine has been appalling, he shouldn't even be in that team. The amount of times his selfish slow paced batting has put us under the pump in 20/20 is crazy. As captain surely he has to be able to assess the situation and play accordingly. You can only make the changes and set the fields according to the bowlers you have. If you have four average straight bowlers of varying pace and batsmen set there is only so much you can do. His form hasn't been great but who else are we going to bat at 3? As mentioned above Clarke has shown no ability to bat for the team and his technique isn't suited to number 3, you hardly want to put a new player there.

Lol.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ficial-Graeme-Swann-is-better-then-Warne.html

Swann is better than Warne

From JOHN ETHERIDGE in Melbourne
Published: Today

Add a comment
chicklet-rss.gif
chicklet-share.gif
chicklet-email.gif
chicklet-print.gif

GRAEME SWANN'S journey to the top of the world has surprised even the man who masterminds England's incredible success.

England head coach Andy Flower used to play against Swann and, although he saw he possessed raw talent, he had no idea the spinner would become a Test match superstar.

Swann is rated the No 2 Test bowler and will rise to No 1 if he performs well in the Third Test in Perth next week.

Amazingly, he has a better start to his Test career than Aussie legend Shane Warne with 122 wickets from his first 26 Tests compared to the great man's 116 at the same stage.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ficial-Graeme-Swann-is-better-then-Warne.html

Remove this Banner Ad

The Ashes - Australia vs England 2010/11 Test Series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back