The Ask a No Passengers Member a Question Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I have absolutely no idea, tempted to go Eddy coz he is playing at the moment but Hinkley has already played two games and got injured which suggests they want him in the team but the only reason he isn't is coz he is injured, and I hear grimes is pretty sure to play towards the end of the season. Why? Who would you go?
If it helps, I went for Eddy last week. Not sure on his spot though so wait for the teams.

One thing for sure, this coming round is one of the most important of the year, due to the who's in who's not and who's stuffed for the year.

Do you trade to cover for one week, or grin and bare it.

A LOT of teams in the top 50 have the Chad/Burgs combo, plus the odd Salopek/Goodes/McLeod thrown in. This will test out their benches and see how well they have planned ahead.

Going to be very very interesting to see how many drop off the pace from now on.

Little tidbits:
Rd 1 Leader is now siting 4764th
Rd 2 Leader 1593rd
Rd 3 Leader 2062nd
Rd 4 5 6 Leader 2nd
Rd 7 Leader 1st
Rd 9 Leader 5th

Hey guys how about your thoughts on Jarred Brennan. See the JB thread for existing discussion.

Interesting one i think, i'm sure that a fair few people would exclude him straight away due his antics early last year but i'm am not one of them so i have a neutral opinion so to speak.

He had a pretty good end to last year, averaging 83 from his last 12 games (taking out his injured game). This was mainly playing as a utility player, either down back or up forward IIRC. After a slow-ish start this year, Matthews has gradually given him more and more of a run in the middle. Since having the majority of time in the middle, he's averaged 93 over the past 4 games.

This midfield role, for me, makes it very tempting to pick him up. Looking at the players down back, how many play the majority in the midfield and allow to roam free? only Chad and now Goddard. IMO if Brennan continues his midfield role, he has the potential to be one of the highest scoring backs, even the highest from now on. Big call i know but he was the number 3 pick in the draft a few years back with heaps of talent, plays in a winning team, is able to score big and is now playing a midfield role.

The safer choice at the moment down back for me is Mackie, he is proven, plays for Geelong and is very consistent in his scores, Brennan you really don't know what to expect, he is a risk although he does has very high reward IMO. Both are fairly 'unique picks', when looking through the top 50, not one has Brennan and only 6 have Mackie.

Biggest problem with Brennan will be his inconsistency. They guy is very talented but his attitude leaves a lot to be desired. One week you will love him the next you will wonder why you picked him. The real issue comes to finals. If you are playing for a league win then I wouldn't waste your time. I've had him before and the odds of him pulling together 4 solid weeks right when you need him to are slim. A big risk but could also provide big returns.

Trading out Waters this week, due to backline problems.

Due to financial constraints, I'm tossing up between Ibbotson and Craig Bolton.
Bolton has had some bad recent form, but looked good last week, and has scoring potential.
Ibbotson gets consistent 70's but will he finish the season out.

I welcome your thoughts. :)

Guys, your thoughts on the Chad/Burgoyne situation with regards to trade/do not trade and cop one/two zeros would be invaluable. Personally I have 6 trades left but this is for general discussion mainly, still some advice if you are feeling generous ;)
Thanks in advance.
Kennyrocks

Guys, your thoughts on the Chad/Burgoyne situation with regards to trade/do not trade and cop one/two zeros would be invaluable. Personally I have 6 trades left but this is for general discussion mainly, still some advice if you are feeling generous ;)
Thanks in advance.
Kennyrocks

I think it depends on your situation.

I had 6 trades and both Chad and Burgoyne. I also have Hartlett so was going to cop a zero if i didnt trade.

My situation is that i cant win overall (ranked 900ish), am on top of my league and still in eliminator.

Because i am in eliminator i traded out Burgoyne to avoid getting a donut. Otherwise i wouldnt have bothered.

IMO I would definetly keep Chad - he is a gun and you will regret it if he comes back and fires!

Whats your situation?

I think it depends on your situation.

I had 6 trades and both Chad and Burgoyne. I also have Hartlett so was going to cop a zero if i didnt trade.

My situation is that i cant win overall (ranked 900ish), am on top of my league and still in eliminator.

Because i am in eliminator i traded out Burgoyne to avoid getting a donut. Otherwise i wouldnt have bothered.

IMO I would definetly keep Chad - he is a gun and you will regret it if he comes back and fires!

Whats your situation?
Thanks mate, yeah I'm still in the eliminator, this is why I am tossing up whether to trade to avoid one zero. I think I can still win with one zero, but trading would almost put it beyond doubt. I'm top in 2 leagues, and a tenuous 4th in another after several close losses. 460th overall, can't win the big red car. 6 trades left, 75k in the bank. What do you reckon?

I have a question for the NP

What are your thoughts on trading out cash cows too early?

Im looking at my two Midfield reserves (Cotchin (playing for goodes this week) and Armfield)

The two questions are: Will Cotchin reach his breakeven? or is it silly to trade out Armfield so soon?

Im looking at the doing the second question for Robert Eddy, as it would leave me with 50k more in the bank to upgrade Masten to Mitchell, then when Hayes is back Ill trade Palmer for him.

Thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks mate, yeah I'm still in the eliminator, this is why I am tossing up whether to trade to avoid one zero. I think I can still win with one zero, but trading would almost put it beyond doubt. I'm top in 2 leagues, and a tenuous 4th in another after several close losses. 460th overall, can't win the big red car. 6 trades left, 75k in the bank. What do you reckon?

Well if you think you can win without trading than go ahead. Remember he may trade in 2 guns tho and stuff you up! I thought i would have been pushing it to win with a zero, now with a full line of backs im pretty confident.

I say trade burger. He hasnt been that great anyway and may miss more than 1 game. Its tough tho with limited trades. I have wasted a few trades this sesaon because of the eliminator, but i want to stay in it and there are only 500 left now so its worth trying to go further i reckon!

Your call mate!

Good luck!

Similar situation - still in eliminator, 390ish and have Chad. I am keeping him because I have reasonable cover and if he comes back at his best then I definately want him in my team. When fit he is the best back and I want him in my side when it comes down to the big games. I also think I can win this week without him *touch wood*

Well if you think you can win without trading than go ahead. Remember he may trade in 2 guns tho and stuff you up! I thought i would have been pushing it to win with a zero, now with a full line of backs im pretty confident.

I say trade burger. He hasnt been that great anyway and may miss more than 1 game. Its tough tho with limited trades. I have wasted a few trades this sesaon because of the eliminator, but i want to stay in it and there are only 500 left now so its worth trying to go further i reckon!

Your call mate!

Good luck!
Thanks mate, yeah I think they will probably trade, as Judd is in their midfield (not playing). Regardless I think I'm going to trade out Burger for someone, perhaps Goddard but hes a bit injury prone, I like the fact that he's getting midfield time though. Otherwise probably Birchall. Probably worth going to 5 trades to stay in the eliminator. Good luck to you too, perhaps we'll meet in the eliminator final ;)

IMO chad will def come back to his best. he sounded positive about his situation on the radio and having 2 weeks off should get him fit enough to start dominating again. He loves his footy and as he is getting older and I can't see him missing many games unless he has no choice

Trading out Waters this week, due to backline problems.

Due to financial constraints, I'm tossing up between Ibbotson and Craig Bolton.
Bolton has had some bad recent form, but looked good last week, and has scoring potential.
Ibbotson gets consistent 70's but will he finish the season out.

I welcome your thoughts. :)

First up, apologies for note getting response back earlier. Advice after lockout is kind of useless, but hopefully something for next week and beyond (for you, or for someone else).

Ibbo looks good for 70 ppg. But he is likely to get rested at some point. Freo are under no illusions of making finals, so it will happen. If you were the selection panel, would you risk a kid who is looking like being a 10 year player for you? Bolton is consistent. He has his small up games, and some down ones, but pretty consistent. He's not the best you could go for, but OK. Could you cover form the bench for a few weeks until someone you consider premium drops in price?

Thanks in advance.
Kennyrocks
If you want to be in Eliminator contention, then don't field a zero (or two), unless you are supremely confident about your opposition, but at this point, I don't think you can be. Chad will be back, Burgoyne will be too, but will he get less TOG? Both are Port players, a team who apparently will focus on youth from here on in. I can't see Cornes getting the 100+ with the regularity he has of previous years, just because I don't know why Port would over stretch him. Ditto for Burgoyne. Neither are getting any younger, the season is dead, play them, but why wouldn't you play them in bursts? I'd see if Chad is back and watch his TOG like a hawk. If it drops, and you have the trades and a viable trade target, trade.

I have a question for the NP

What are your thoughts on trading out cash cows too early?

Im looking at my two Midfield reserves (Cotchin (playing for goodes this week) and Armfield)

The two questions are: Will Cotchin reach his breakeven? or is it silly to trade out Armfield so soon?

Im looking at the doing the second question for Robert Eddy, as it would leave me with 50k more in the bank to upgrade Masten to Mitchell, then when Hayes is back Ill trade Palmer for him.

Thoughts?
Cows are there to make money. If you can see an opportunity to trade them out for another cow about to rise (and you have the trades to do it), go for it. I go by the <10K rule of thumb. If they are rising by less than $10K per week, any week form there on in is a good week to trade.

Similar situation - still in eliminator, 390ish and have Chad. I am keeping him because I have reasonable cover and if he comes back at his best then I definately want him in my team. When fit he is the best back and I want him in my side when it comes down to the big games. I also think I can win this week without him *touch wood*
If Eliminator is your target, then trade to win Eliminator - if you can by one Rd without trading, do it! This assume a trade out/in isn't ripe at this particular point in time. Love your pre-season reviews BTW.

Do you guys think I should downgrade Tippett or Rioli to Valenti?
Not to Rioli. That boat/train/truck/car/choose your transport method moved on some time ago.

A summary on Marc Murphy would be nice, im considering him as an upgrade for Palmer.
Thanks.

Not a No Passenger but thought I would give it a go,

It’s his third year in the system now and this year has been his real break-out year. Suffered allot last year when Nick Stevens went down in round three meaning Marc would cop the number one tag week to week, now with Stevens back and Judd in the side it frees him up a lot more.

Averaging 102 points this season and is priced at $406,200, his price has risen by $80,000, Majority of his points come from kicks and marks averaging 17.5 kicks and 7 marks a game, which is important for a midfielder, take Simon black for example he has had the exact same amount of possessions as Murphy yet only averages the 3 marks per game. He also kicks goals with 10 for the season which is also handy for a midfielder.

But if you’re really considering him I wouldn’t go for him, I personally believe there are better options out there, Bartel, Corey ect, whom are all cheaper than him and average similar scores as Murphy. Was at a bargain price at the start of the year but you have missed the boat. If your looking to upgrade Palmer to someone I’d suggest someone more unique…

Hope that helps…

EDIT - All these stat don't include this round...

Well it is an interesting thing, and i guess it comes down to how well you can choose your weekly captain. surely the easier thing to do is to just select a same captain all year, and the total out-put will just be under the week to week, if you can select the week to week well.

These kinds of things are best done in moderation. For example, last year, if you had Bartel, you probably would have had him most weeks, and you received the rewards with a 114 average captain record. However, i don't think we will see such a dominate season for a long time, or at least not this season. Your real choices that would be captain choices, would be

Maybe not such an expert! Ablett is having a much better year than 'bartell did last year and you had'nt even put him in your dt group, once you have the principles and a bit of experience it comes down to a lot of luck, I think you should get over yourself a bit and stop considering yourself so elite..

A summary on Marc Murphy would be nice, im considering him as an upgrade for Palmer.
Thanks.

not with Juddy out of the team mate. he'll pull the no.1 tag.

i own Murph and consider him as serious captaincy material most weeks.

he's a DT gun now. the 100pts ave. is a realistic expectation IMO

Maybe not such an expert! Ablett is having a much better year than 'bartell did last year and you had'nt even put him in your dt group, once you have the principles and a bit of experience it comes down to a lot of luck, I think you should get over yourself a bit and stop considering yourself so elite..

and im sure we all predicted it mate :rolleyes:

I didnt see you trying to post your thoughts

When i did that, i was just using examples of Guns that you could have used. Bare in mind that i wrote that at the beginning of the season, where ablett, although was good, hadnt had the impact on DT coaches that he has now. At the begining of the season, he had only had 1 break-out season, and needed another one to be considered elite (he has now)

why dont you contribute to this thread, rather than abusing others

theres no need to attack happy eagle
what he said is exactly right
and in fact if u take out bartels 43 game last year (suffered concusion in the 2nd quarter) he ended up averaging over 118 for the year (just over a point less then ablett at the moment)
also keep in mind bartel managed to average this over an entire year, who knows what may happen, someone might figure out a way to tag ablett and his output for the rest of teh year is reduced, no one knows

he used it as an example for the theory behind a captain rather then literally who to put captain as for the entire year

Remove this Banner Ad

The Ask a No Passengers Member a Question Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back