The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

What's wrong with wanting to be closer to family?
Each to their own, it's a feeble excuse for mine though (and I don't believe for a second it's a genuine reason).

Parents I get a bit more, sister not so much. I grew up with two younger sisters, both have lived overseas for various periods of their lives. Everyone is different of course but I didn't feel the need to go get a job in London to be closer to her...

Only Tom/his manager will really know but it seems far more likely that he's sick of playing for a shit team and is probably getting a great offer at a club that's up and coming. The sister being there won't hurt, it's just not likely the big reason why.

Each to their own, it's a feeble excuse for mine though (and I don't believe for a second it's a genuine reason).

Parents I get a bit more, sister not so much. I grew up with two younger sisters, both have lived overseas for various periods of their lives. Everyone is different of course but I didn't feel the need to go get a job in London to be closer to her...

Only Tom/his manager will really know but it seems far more likely that he's sick of playing for a shit team and is probably getting a great offer at a club that's up and coming. The sister being there won't hurt, it's just not likely the big reason why.

I thought it was part of the reason we weren't able to get him (or maybe it was part of the reason he was initially interested, I can't remember) but it's not the first time it's come up in relation to him so I'm inclined to believe it's part of the reason.

Like you said each to their own but if I was to travel across the country to be closer to either my sister or my parents I'd pick my sister..

Maybe his sister has health concerns or has kids or something.

Maybe his sister has health concerns or has kids or something.

Kids is another good angle, I know I'd want my daughter growing up near her cousin if I could.

Tim Kelly returned home to be closer to family with kids that needed special care.
Every case is different so odd for mine to dismiss Barrass' reasons without knowing precisely why.

Yeah it's the most bullshit excuse.

It's interesting to me that he's definitely an outlier, WA boys tend to stay home, even if we are shit. Which we are right now. In fact I honestly cant remember the last WA lad leaving us, certainly not ones who are an integral part of the team.

Guess money talks though. Dont think he will be too liked moving forward by the fans though now.

Tim Kelly returned home to be closer to family with kids that needed special care.
Every case is different so odd for mine to dismiss Barrass' reasons without knowing precisely why.
TB is home though, that's the kicker. Kelly wanted to come home. That's why a lot of footballers move, to go home to be closer to family etc.

I assume Barrass has parents, he's leaving his parents to be closer to his sister? Doesnt make sense. If his whole family weirdly moved to Melbourne even though they are all from Perth, then yeah I'd get it, he wants to go to Melbourne.

But that aint it.

Edit - apparently TB's father has passed. Not sure about his mum.

Either way I reckon it's a bullshit excuse.

Jatz being a bit naive, and forgetful. The suns lost their captain once trying to get home before his sister OD'd.
Funny his sister was perfectly capable of moving and living away from him.

Perhaps we don't have to just assume the worst case scenario in every instance hey.

Like I said, each to their own. It's just not what I expect the real reasons are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny his sister was perfectly capable of moving and living away from him.

Perhaps we don't have to just assume the worst case scenario in every instance hey.

Like I said, each to their own. It's just not what I expect the real reasons are.
Just because you can live away from your sister doesn't mean others are as inclined or capable of doing so. Every family is different.

Real reasons just has to be money. Only thing I can see it being.
Well the club bottomed out badly so he may be thinking why should I waste a few years of my career on club’s poor management. That can be the case at any club …not sure why you seem so surprised/offended

Just because you can live away from your sister doesn't mean others are as inclined or capable of doing so. Every family is different.
Your example was happy earning millions while living away from his for a while.

I said from the start of this, each to their own.

Well the club bottomed out badly so he may be thinking why should I waste a few years of my career on club’s poor management. That can be the case at any club …not sure why you seem so surprised/offended
We did bottom out and as I said, I'd understand it more had we sucked his whole career. But we've already climbed the mountain, won a premiership, he's part of the leadership group, a vice captain.

Now is the time to help the young kids and help right the ship and get us back to winning football games, not bail cos we suck. Gov is staying, Yeo is staying etc... I guess he's just a shit bloke.

We did bottom out and as I said, I'd understand it more had we sucked his whole career. But we've already climbed the mountain, won a premiership, he's part of the leadership group, a vice captain.

Now is the time to help the young kids and help right the ship and get us back to winning football games, not bail cos we suck. Gov is staying, Yeo is staying etc... I guess he's just a shit bloke.
Why do you think the player owes the club in that situation?

As you say, he's already stayed and helped through the worst of it. Why should he hang around any longer in the prime of his career?

Maybe he's not ready to give up on his career.

Get paid a mint and pay for an exciting young side that'll play finals for a while. Not a hard choice.

Yep, I've always hated that.

So desperate to get to Victoria but one club specifically please.

How would you suggest that works in a quick and efficient way? Open bidding for all the trade and FA targets, in a 2 week period? Sounds like a mess.

I thought it was part of the reason we weren't able to get him (or maybe it was part of the reason he was initially interested, I can't remember) but it's not the first time it's come up in relation to him so I'm inclined to believe it's part of the reason.

Apparently she was in Sydney which is why he wanted to go to you but she moved down to Melbourne this year which is why he now wants to move there.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back