The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

using the whole family thing but still picking and choosing which club to go to doesn't really sit right for mine

I postulated on another board that when you're winning, nothing else matters. Winning covers all. When the ship's sinking and there's less hope, other factors come into play as a reason/factor/excuse. Id be interested to hear from posters here of examples where player wants to be close to family whilst leaving a successful club to one occupying the bottom rung.

can't say i can recall seeing a goal umpire hit by a bottle like that. what a dickhead in the crowd. well done getting yourself banned plus possible assault charges.
Imagine that at a football match. THUGS! HOOLIGANS!! MUTLICULTURALISM!

I postulated on another board that when you're winning, nothing else matters. Winning covers all. When the ship's sinking and there's less hope, other factors come into play as a reason/factor/excuse. Id be interested to hear from posters here of examples where player wants to be close to family whilst leaving a successful club to one occupying the bottom rung.
Which is why clubs like mine always aim to rebuild on the run and avoid bottoming out.

Become like NM and no stars will go to you, and the b grade soldiers will but for A grader salaries which only screws you further in years to come.

Dawson left us for the Crows to be closer to family when we'd just played finals and they'd missed. They're still yet to play finals and we played in a GF the following year.

I wonder if a player who has had success in Spain or Italy and Liverpool want them if Jod has an issue with that. After all why should he leave he's already had success.

Or does that standard only apply to players leaving LFC/WCE.
Someone wins a flag with us I certainly aren't saying they're dead to me if they choose to leave. The club won't burn down, and carries on as it has done for 160 years.

Varcoe the last I was sad to see traded, but not angry at him, it made perfect sense for him, and cleared the decks for Dangerfield.

Last edited:
Peter Bell moving home to Freo

kozzie now apparently wants out of melbourne and is reportedly homesick, not sure if that would be more wa or sa though seeing as he has spent decent time in both states before going to melb.

Hopefully WA. He is exactly who we should be targeting.

I wonder if a player who has had success in Spain or Italy and Liverpool want them if Jod has an issue with that. After all why should he leave he's already had success.

Or does that standard only apply to players leaving LFC/WCE.
Someone wins a flag with us I certainly aren't saying they're dead to me if they choose to leave. The club won't burn down, and carries on as it has done for 160 years.

Varcoe the last I was sad to see traded, but not angry at him, it made perfect sense for him, and cleared the decks for Dangerfield.
AFL and football are completely different though. Not really comparable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL and football are completely different though. Not really comparable.
Different sports.
Not different logic.

You dislike players leaving West Coast for money/success but are more than happy (presumably) for Liverpool to recruit players with the lure of more money/success.

Different sports.
Not different logic.

You dislike players leaving West Coast for money/success but are more than happy (presumably) for Liverpool to recruit players with the lure of more money/success.
He's happy when players come to WC for that.

Different sports.
Not different logic.

Depends, I'm talking about people who are already home. If we sign Mo Salah with the lure of money and success, that's fine because he cant play at the top level in Egypt so he has to move abroad.

But if TAA leaves Liverpool, that for me is shit, no loyalty. You're at your home club, at the top of the sport making a lot of money at a huge club.

Same for Barrass. He's at his home club, at the pinnacle of the sport making great money. So him leaving is shit. No loyalty.

Depends, I'm talking about people who are already home. If we sign Mo Salah with the lure of money and success, that's fine because he cant play at the top level in Egypt so he has to move abroad.

But if TAA leaves Liverpool, that for me is shit, no loyalty. You're at your home club, at the top of the sport making a lot of money at a huge club.

Same for Barrass. He's at his home club, at the pinnacle of the sport making great money. So him leaving is shit. No loyalty.
I know it is not the same as it's professional sport but many people enjoy working in different cities and countries. Barrass must have given ten years of service.

TAA has pretty much won the lot and given plenty of good service to Liverpool. He's got nothing left to prove. Surely you wouldn't begrudge him the move if he is going to Madrid or somewhere. Ashley Cole type situ is different obviously.

Who has the bigger exodus currently, Melbourne or Richmond.
Still Richmond.

Mind you, if all these Melbourne players go, they could set themselves up nicely before Tassie comes in. There’ll definitely be short term pain of course.

Have heard whispers that May and/or Lever are gettable.

If there’s a Melbourne player that clubs like, you’d be silly not to ask the question at the moment. The best bit is it’s all self inflicted…

I know it is not the same as it's professional sport but many people enjoy working in different cities and countries. Barrass must have given ten years of service.

TAA has pretty much won the lot and given plenty of good service to Liverpool. He's got nothing left to prove. Surely you wouldn't begrudge him the move if he is going to Madrid or somewhere. Ashley Cole type situ is different obviously.
TB I can get over.

If TAA leaves Liverpool though... dead to me. Absolutely dead and buried to me.

It's because he's a local lad. A scouser and his dream like every red kid in Liverpool is to play for Liverpool and he achieved it! On the mural of him near Anfield is a quote by TAA that reads "I'm just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true"

He's doing things we all wanted to do, he's kinda doing it for us.

That quote doesnt say "I'm just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true and then I want to **** off to Real Madrid"

TAA should consider himself lucky. He is "stuck" for lack of a better word at Liverpool for his entire career because that's how it is with Liverpudlians and their heroes. Leaving breaks too many hearts, strains relationships and kills his legacy with fans. Gerrard almost left because he was sick of not winning but realised late what it would do so he didnt leave.

Unfortunately the same fate is on TAA but as I said, he's lucky. He gets to play under the best manager in the world in Jurgen Klopp and play with Mo Salah and VVD and Alisson and Mane, Bobby, Fabinho, Robbo and win trophies every year instead of having to play Roy Hodgson and play with Igor Biscan, Diouf and Paul Konchesky. Haha.

Still Richmond.

Mind you, if all these Melbourne players go, they could set themselves up nicely before Tassie comes in. There’ll definitely be short term pain of course.

Have heard whispers that May and/or Lever are gettable.

If there’s a Melbourne player that clubs like, you’d be silly not to ask the question at the moment. The best bit is it’s all self inflicted…
Rivers and Viney would be very suitable for North. May and Lever are known massive figjams. Not sure bringing them into a young group without many senior pros would do us much good. Surely they go to a contender if they want out.

TB I can get over.

If TAA leaves Liverpool though... dead to me. Absolutely dead and buried to me.

It's because he's a local lad. A scouser and his dream like every red kid in Liverpool is to play for Liverpool and he achieved it! On the mural of him near Anfield is a quote by TAA that reads "I'm just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true"

He's doing things we all wanted to do, he's kinda doing it for us.

That quote doesnt say "I'm just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true and then I want to **** off to Real Madrid"

TAA should consider himself lucky. He is "stuck" for lack of a better word at Liverpool for his entire career because that's how it is with Liverpudlians and their heroes. Leaving breaks too many hearts, strains relationships and kills his legacy with fans. Gerrard almost left because he was sick of not winning but realised late what it would do so he didnt leave.

Unfortunately the same fate is on TAA but as I said, he's lucky. He gets to play under the best manager in the world in Jurgen Klopp and play with Mo Salah and VVD and Alisson and Mane, Bobby, Fabinho, Robbo and win trophies every year instead of having to play Roy Hodgson and play with Igor Biscan, Diouf and Paul Konchesky. Haha.
If Gerrard went overseas to Real would he have been dead to you? Clearly going to Chelsea or United wouldn't have been good haha

You used present tense their regarding Klopp and players, some of which have already gone and some of which are rumoured to be on their way out. Totally get it if they move to a rival or leave you in the shit. Mcmananananamaman went on a free and is still liked. Ah well, fair enough if you feel that way. I was devo when Becks left but didn't begrudge him the move and was glad he was going overseas rather than to someone like Arsenal.

If Gerrard went overseas to Real would he have been dead to you? Clearly going to Chelsea or United wouldn't have been good haha

You used present tense their regarding Klopp and players, some of which have already gone and some of which are rumoured to be on their way out. Totally get it if they move to a rival or leave you in the shit. Mcmananananamaman went on a free and is still liked. Ah well, fair enough if you feel that way. I was devo when Becks left but didn't begrudge him the move and was glad he was going overseas rather than to someone like Arsenal.
I can use current, he still plays with VVD, Mo, Jota, Mac Allister, Alisson, Robbo... fantastic players Gerrard would dream of playing with.

Gerrard would have been dead to me yes. Even more so as he was the only thing keeping us afloat really. Had he left in his prime, we would have had some real dark days. They also lose that legend status. Becks isnt revered at United like lifers are like Scholes, Giggs, Neville, Rooney, Charlton, Best etc guys that spent their entire career or 95% of their career and prime at United.

McManaman is not that well liked on Merseyside. Time has helped with Macca but Owen has never recovered, he didnt help himself though by joining United. And you say you get it by leaving us in the shit, both Macca and Owen ran their contracts down, we got nothing for Macca and I think paltry 8 million for Owen.

Local lads are just different. You see the difference with the way the kop loves Gerrard and Carragher and the way we are with guys like Macca and Owen.

TAA will face the same scrutiny if he doesnt sign a new deal and walks to Real Madrid. But I guess in time we will find out either way.

Rivers and Viney would be very suitable for North. May and Lever are known massive figjams. Not sure bringing them into a young group without many senior pros would do us much good. Surely they go to a contender if they want out.
You scared the Dees into signing Viney for another 4 years also.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back