The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

I am finding Jodly's take to be very archaic.

Players at best have a 10-15 year career and need to maximise it, while the average among all drafted players is something like 30-40 games, and unlike elite footballers in Europe they whilst paid well they aren't paid well enough to never work again afterwards.

To begrudge a premiership player wanting to leave because he's from WA is IMV am unappreciative take. To begrudge a Gerrard/TAA a move to Madrid etc is likewise bizarre and unappreciative. United I could understand.

One of the things I've realised since my hiatus following football day-to-day is how funny it is when you think about it for footballers on 100k+ a week to ruin people's weekends. To lose your shit because a footballer wants to explore other options after giving you 10 years of good service is bizarre to me. They've paid their dues.

Last edited:

Been some good President Interviews over the years, this might take the cake.

She's all over the place haha. Also, referring to him as "Trac" is wild to me. You're the club president, at least try and sound professional.

"We've spoken about some issues, some of them are good issues"

"No I don't (have a clear grasp about where he thinks the club have failed him)"

I can use current, he still plays with VVD, Mo, Jota, Mac Allister, Alisson, Robbo... fantastic players Gerrard would dream of playing with.

Gerrard would have been dead to me yes. Even more so as he was the only thing keeping us afloat really. Had he left in his prime, we would have had some real dark days. They also lose that legend status. Becks isnt revered at United like lifers are like Scholes, Giggs, Neville, Rooney, Charlton, Best etc guys that spent their entire career or 95% of their career and prime at United.

McManaman is not that well liked on Merseyside. Time has helped with Macca but Owen has never recovered, he didnt help himself though by joining United. And you say you get it by leaving us in the shit, both Macca and Owen ran their contracts down, we got nothing for Macca and I think paltry 8 million for Owen.

Local lads are just different. You see the difference with the way the kop loves Gerrard and Carragher and the way we are with guys like Macca and Owen.

TAA will face the same scrutiny if he doesnt sign a new deal and walks to Real Madrid. But I guess in time we will find out either way.

Leave Manchester United and David Beckham out of this 😂

He’s a club legend in the eyes of our supporters and isn’t “dead” to any of our supporters. That’s ridiculous and an incredibly bad example.

She's all over the place haha. Also, referring to him as "Trac" is wild to me. You're the club president, at least try and sound professional.

"We've spoken about some issues, some of them are good issues"

"No I don't (have a clear grasp about where he thinks the club have failed him)"
Best thing is she said 3 years ago if something wasn't right with the club culture, then it would be her fault as President.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They'll still be able to do that with their next home game.

Clearly was an afterthought but they've made the right call eventually.

Which won't be the first home game of the season. Now presumably to get into that Round 2 game, Dogs supporters will need to buy a ticket to the mens game that they may not have been planning to go to, and spending a lot more money. Just not a great look all round.

Which won't be the first home game of the season. Now presumably to get into that Round 2 game, Dogs supporters will need to buy a ticket to the mens game that they may not have been planning to go to, and spending a lot more money. Just not a great look all round.
Yeah I think that's pretty evident to all. They have at least corrected it to an extent.

Wondering how the women will go on the MCG - has a game been played there before? Reckon it must be the biggest ground they'd have played on?

Yeah I think that's pretty evident to all. They have at least corrected it to an extent.

Wondering how the women will go on the MCG - has a game been played there before? Reckon it must be the biggest ground they'd have played on?

Yes, the Dees played North there before a final two years ago.

I am finding Jodly's take to be very archaic.

Players at best have a 10 year career and need to maximise it, while the average among all drafted players is something like 30-40 games, and unlike elite footballers in Europe they whilst paid well they aren't paid well enough to never work again afterwards.

To begrudge a premiership player wanting to leave because he's from WA is IMV am unappreciative take. To begrudge a Gerrard/TAA a move to Madrid etc is likewise bizarre and unappreciative. United I could understand.

One of the things I've realised since my hiatus following football day-to-day is how funny it is when you think about it for footballers on 100k+ a week to ruin people's weekends. To lose your shit because a footballer wants to explore other options after giving you 10 years of good service is bizarre to me. They've paid their dues.
I guess we just have two different views on loyalty I guess.

I get it's a bit different at AFL level to European football because the money is so much different and in the AFL you want to maximise the money side of things but again that just leans into money over loyalty.

I dare say we're not paying TB a pittance too.

Leave Manchester United and David Beckham out of this 😂

He’s a club legend in the eyes of our supporters and isn’t “dead” to any of our supporters. That’s ridiculous and an incredibly bad example.
Huh, what are you talking about?

I never said he wasnt a club legend and I never said he was dead to supporters. You're just talking nonsense.

What I did say is he isnt revered as much as other club legends. David Beckham IMO isnt tied to United. When I think David Beckham I think many different things, that include Milan, Real Madrid, United, Galaxy, his fame, Spice Girls etc etc

But when I think Paul Scholes I just think United... and also putting his adult daughters foot in his mouth to bite off her nails haha

Eagles released a statement that Jod has rejected Pickett’s request and chastising him to stay loyal
How many of you guys are missing the point. Isnt Pickett a WA lad and wants to come home. I get players wanting to return home and be close to family.

My point about Barrass is, he IS home.

BF is difficult sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back