The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs who cut deep have longer rebuilds. The braver move would be keeping as many players as possible and trying to nail the picks from ANB and Kossie
That rebuild is coming quick and fast for them. They don't have a strong club culture.

Clubs that don't have good youth coming through are going to struggle when Tasmania joins. The Dees don't have a good enough core to continue to top up and be successful.

I thought he was destined to be an all-time great when he burst on the scene, I had never seen anyone be so good so quick. All-Australian in his 2nd and 3rd year but then none after that. Was gutted when he left but he never really reached the same heights at Hawthorn but still had a very good career.

I thought he was destined to be an all-time great when he burst on the scene, I had never seen anyone be so good quick. All-Australian in his 2nd and 3rd year but then none after that. Was gutted when he left but never really reached the same heights at Hawthorn.

You cleaned up with the trade too.

Didn't even realise he was still playing, thought he retired a couple of years back

Basically did. He did his knee or hammy and missed basically half of last season then the whole of this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basically did. He did his knee or hammy and missed basically half of last season then the whole of this season.

Played 14 games last year before rupturing his Achilles

Got another 1 year deal at end of last season but has battled calf issues in the VFL this year

As great as the story is this is his 3rd ACL and over 30 now. By the time the game is played the reserves last game will be 3 weeks prior, which he didn't play.

Bringing him in cold smells of desperation in the face of finals elimination. He'd have to be sub you'd think.

As great as the story is this is his 3rd ACL and over 30 now. By the time the game is played the reserves last game will be 3 weeks prior, which he didn't play.

Bringing him in cold smells of desperation in the face of finals elimination. He'd have to be sub you'd think.
Might bring the squad a big lift. We're rank outsiders, might as well throw some caution to the wind.

With Sam’s first two ACL injuries, they were ruptured in November 2017 and December 2018 and Sam missed two straight years of football. I think now that Sam is at an advanced age and might only be around for another 2-3 years, I don’t think he wanted to take another year off, if 6 months was going to suffice.

Might bring the squad a big lift. We're rank outsiders, might as well throw some caution to the wind.
I don't disagree and I hope he goes well. No one would begrudge him success. I just think one way or the other he's a good candidate for sub on/off. No way he lasts 120 minutes

Actually think it was in Melbourne's better interest to make it happen tbh.

They're not winning another flag with their current list and they've got players they could cash in on before the Tassie concessions kick in.
The Tassie concessions IMV are likely overblown if the GCS/GWS are anything to go by.

The bottom 5 sides for those two drafts featured Melbourne, Richmond and the Eagles. As well as Adelaide.
3 of them share 5 flags between 17-21 and the other made a GF in that period. Brisbane were also bottom 5 in that time and made the GF last year.

Over those two drafts West Coast got Gaff, Darling and Lycett and McGovern. Richmond Ellis and the Dees got McDonald and Howe. Adelaide got Smith, Henderson, Lyons and Laird.

Other AA or premiership players in those drafts (not at GCS/GWS) were Blair, Heppell, Guthrie, Podsiadly, (Caddy, Prestia, Lynch - RFC), I.Smith, Puopolo, J.Cripps (WCE), Parker, A.Johnson, Spangher, Pyke, Liberatore, Dahlhaus, Johannisen, Docherty, Yeo (WCE), Neale, Hamling, Bews, WHE, Adams (Coll), B.Hill, Wingard, Ellis, T.Mitchell, C.Smith, Dickson, Roberts, Blicavs and Biggs.

That's a lot of talent for two drafts that didn't have success at the expansion clubs.
Richmond, Melbourne etc should still be able to select enough good talent when Tasmania enter the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back