The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting post on Essendon board. There’s been stories before about Cats players on Cotton On payroll..

This will be swept under the AFL's rug regardless of the outcome, but apparently the Bulldogs have now made an official request for the AFL to look further into the connection between Bailey and Cotton On dating back to the original signing date. This will potentially blow up in a huge way with the potential for the club to take it further through the legal system not the AFL itself.

Law is not my area of expertise but essentially the belief is that Geelong have been paying Smith via a third party whilst he was under contract at the dogs in a sort of handshake deal that he would seek a trade at the end of the contract, thus breaking the terms of the contract. Things are going to get very, very messy.

This could expose Geelong quite badly as they've had Geelong players doing bogus jobs at Cotton On for years. My wife's friend worked at their Head Office and knew of several players in positions at Cotton On who didn't have any real role other than sitting in an office on their phones for a couple of hours a week.

They've been rorting the salary cap for years. The AFL knows and have turned a blind eye to it. Wonder if that will continue now.

Interesting post on Essendon board. There’s been stories before about Cats players on Cotton On payroll..
Nothing is going to change, Geelong gets a decent advantage(destination, fixture wise, out of football financial opportunities etc) and they make the most of it.

Sucks for clubs like mine, but that's sport I guess. The way Smith has chosen to go out this last 12 months is rather narcissistic, but he's someone else's problem now. I'd be happy to send him to the draft so the financial side of the deal is more transparent.

Nothing is going to change, Geelong gets a decent advantage(destination, fixture waist, out of football financial opportunities etc) and they make great most of it.

Sucks for clubs like mine, but that's sport I guess. The way Smith has chosen to go out this last 12 months is rather narcissistic, but he's someone else's problem now. I'd be happy to send him to the draft so the financial side of the deal is more transparent.

Yeah, looks lovely. 😂
1727909411498.png

Like you'd live on the Surf Coast or the peninsula. But graphic does look pretty sweet if you are a country boy.

Word is that Geelong will be building Martin, Oliver and Smith houses in that massive area, next to Cameron and Dangerfield. No neighbours for miles. If they also gave me a plot of land, I’d happily live in Geelong as well.

Word is that Geelong will be building Martin, Oliver and Smith houses in that massive area, next to Cameron and Dangerfield. No neighbours for miles. If they also gave me a plot of land, I’d happily live in Geelong as well.
Need to leave some room for Butters next off season.

Think the big difference is Smith was employed by Cotton On before moving to the Cattery but I'm struggling to see how it's not like Judd at Visy otherwise.

Chef is right in that I doubt anything will change.

Nothing is going to change, Geelong gets a decent advantage(destination, fixture wise, out of football financial opportunities etc) and they make the most of it.

Personally think Geelong has the biggest advantage in the sport really. They get the genuine home ground advantage that no other Vic side gets but also gets the travel advantage that Vic clubs get that interstate sides don't.

Then throw in the extra curriculars...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember, only Carlton cheat.

Between the Dank/Robinson/Charters/Thompson era (all drug cheats) and the Cotton On/Acres of Land for their new and current players era, is anything that club does remotely legit? Nice to see they’ve exposed themselves by being greedy and going after Smith AND Oliver. Exposed themselves over two druggies. 😂

Absolute frauds.

It's only cheating if you actually get caught!
AFL: “Zero ****s given when it comes to Geelong.”

1727918531862.gif

If it was Carlton with the Cotton On/Land thingy, we would have kicked out of the league years ago. 😂

Last edited:
AFL: “Zero ****s given when it comes to Geelong.”

View attachment 2129920

If it was Carlton with the Cotton On/Land thingy, we would have kicked out of the league years ago. 😂
we tried to give kurt tippett some pies and donuts and had to give back draft picks!

Between the Dank/Robinson/Charters/Thompson era (all drug cheats) and the Cotton On/Acres of Land for their new and current players era, is anything that club does remotely legit? Nice to see they’ve exposed themselves by being greedy and going after Smith AND Oliver. Exposed themselves over two druggies. 😂

Absolute frauds.
Here I was hoping that would be your reaction to losing Jack Martin to us RPCB

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Amusing page.

A bit like the bible, not letting facts interrupt good stories.
But do continue.

Nice for the Bailey Smith announcement to come out 1 hour before the Dogs best and fairest night.

Can't imagine Bailey will be welcome back in the kennel ever.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Amusing page.

A bit like the bible, not letting facts interrupt good stories.
But do continue.
I'm curious as to your understanding of how the Cotton On deals are any different to the Visy deals we had?

I'm obviously missing something there.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back