The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't ever be my most hated side. Don't care enough about Geelong to hate them.

Essendon will struggle to be topped. Collingwood are our bigger rivals but I have a healthy respect for them.

Truthfully Carlton and Essendon are basically the same club haha. Successful way back when but have been irrelevant for a couple of decades.

I'm curious as to your understanding of how the Cotton On deals are any different to the Visy deals we had?

I'm obviously missing something there.
Unlike the BF nuffies spreading rumours I am not pretending to know. So I couldn't tell you about either company's dealings in AFL circles.

Frankly, this last page has gone full Gosha. Conspiracy theory nonsense.

The AFL punish the swans for getting buddy. Melbourne for not tanking. Essendon for drug offences. Various clubs for minor cap procedural errors.

Yet despite this they secretly have a soft spot for one club and ignore drug cheating (despite ASADA finding nothing) and now cap cheating. Including their TPP officer signing off on trades only if both parties remain under the cap. He's in on it too.

This particular rumour started on the Dogs board, likely as some bitter copium for a player wanting out.

Tom Morris has reported Joe Daniher has retired.

Reminds me a bit of Rance. Gone out at the top of his game.

It’s amazing to see a best 22 player retiring at 30 with 204 games under his belt. Joe could have played another 3-4 years and no one would have batted an eyelid. The lure of spending more time with family was too great for him. Good for Joe. Goes out on top.

Think the big difference is Smith was employed by Cotton On before moving to the Cattery but I'm struggling to see how it's not like Judd at Visy otherwise.

Chef is right in that I doubt anything will change.
what a massive coincidence that is!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Between the Dank/Robinson/Charters/Thompson era (all drug cheats) and the Cotton On/Acres of Land for their new and current players era, is anything that club does remotely legit? Nice to see they’ve exposed themselves by being greedy and going after Smith AND Oliver. Exposed themselves over two druggies. 😂

Absolute frauds.
This is typical salty BS.

If they're doing better than your club, "they must be cheating!"

Uh, no. That's typical small-minded frustration. Just because your club is woefully mismanaging its list and TPP, doesn't mean that another club doing it better is cheating. It just means they're doing it better. And your whiny, evidence-free bleating won't change that.

The fact is that Geelong DOES have an advantage in its location. If you're a country boy who doesn't really like the city, it's gotta look like a mighty attractive option. But it wasn't always that way - not so long ago it was seen as a distinct disadvantage. It's the club that has worked very hard to change that. And yes, it's a relatively unique advantage. But that doesn't mean that other clubs can't come up with their own unique advantage. Most of them just lack the foresight and imagination to do so.

And while location is an easy one to focus on, it is really only a part of what Geelong is doing: it also has exceptional leadership, a top-shelf culture cultivated by those leaders, a track record of looking after its players and staff, etc, etc... and it made an explicit decision 25 years ago to try to be constantly competitive instead of bottoming out. All of that's gotta be mighty appealing to a prospective recruit.

It's also a very, very well run club that is absolutely elite in terms of managing its list and TPP... which has nothing to do with property or sponsors, and everything to do with selling players on the above benefits rather than salary, and avoiding really stupid sh*t like handing out long term contracts on massive dollars to players who don't deserve them.

Bottom line is that Geelong is being rewarded for building the right way, with the right people, for a long, long time. We're talking 25 years. Any other club could've made similar decisions 25 years ago and followed a similar path, but they either chose not to or lacked the vision and capability to do so, and frankly it's only fair that all parties now have to lie in the beds they made for themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back