The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Petracca would be rapt. 😂

Petracca will want back out the door now.

I don't really understand why they'd want to keep Clarry now that they're so aware he doesn't want to be there. They're obviously well within their rights to hold him to that contract, I just don't really understand why you would.

Why yikes?

I thought maybe an end of 1st round pick. Pick 8 seems too high, but it’s the system I suppose. Doesn’t really matter. Hawks get Battle and Saints get a great compo pick.

I don't. Free agency will not work without compensation.
Bottom 4-6 clubs will be pillaged purely because of the stage in the rebuild cycle they are in and have no way to mitigate that loss.

Bottom 4-6 clubs will be pillaged purely because of the stage in the rebuild cycle they are in and have no way to mitigate that loss.
That's happening now. And how often are the picks helpful anyway? The same clubs are near the bottom of the ladder.

That's happening now. And how often are the picks helpful anyway? The same clubs are near the bottom of the ladder.
So the solution is somehow give them nothing and make it worse. Taking away compensation is not the answer.

Extra list spots or an increase in salary cap for sides that meet a losses threshold over a prescribed period.

So the solution is somehow give them nothing and make it worse. Taking away compensation is not the answer.

Extra list spots or an increase in salary cap for sides that meet a losses threshold over a prescribed period.
Rubbish. Giving them handouts is not the answer either.

You could give St Kilda the first 5 picks in the draft, they'll still achieve nothing. It's who they are as a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

create a culture that encourages players to want to stay and fight. get the right people into your club and build around them. there's reasons why successful clubs either remain successful or return to success pretty quickly, and there's reasons why bottom clubs typically stay there.

plus, sport doesnt have to be fair or kind.

NICK Haynes points to a scar on his hamstring. "A lot of them were just little ones, but this one was a bad one," Haynes tells AFL.com.au. "You can play through them and I did play through a few of them. (But) the one on my hamstring was the size of a golf ball and I probably shouldn't have played. I went to hospital for a week after that."
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1085583/medical-room-the-full-afl-injury-list-r1
Haynes then motions a bit further up to his glute. "This one got into my bloodstream and I was getting fevers and all of that sort of stuff."

Didn’t take long to find our Martin, Marchbank and Cuningham replacement. Welcome to Carlton, Nick! 😳

Rubbish. Giving them handouts is not the answer either.

You could give St Kilda the first 5 picks in the draft, they'll still achieve nothing. It's who they are as a club.

create a culture that encourages players to want to stay and fight. get the right people into your club and build around them. there's reasons why successful clubs either remain successful or return to success pretty quickly, and there's reasons why bottom clubs typically stay there.

plus, sport doesnt have to be fair or kind.
The AFL will not remove the compensation element of FA unless they could get NBA style forced trades. Which the AFLPA would never agree to.

I cannot make it any clearer. They will not have a FA system without compensation built in.

The AFL will not remove the compensation element of FA unless they could get NBA style forced trades. Which the AFLPA would never agree to.

I cannot make it any clearer. They will not have a FA system without compensation built in.
okay, so keep giving bottom clubs high picks. then watch and wait as the same clubs come and take that player in a few years cos nothing changes internally. free agency in its current form has not changed a thing

There is compo and then utter bullshit. In no way should any compo pick be in the top 10. If a first round compensation pick is given it should be the end of the first.
This I don't mind. Make all compo end of round.

That way if a club thinks they're worth more and are RFA we'll see more matched offers.

Also, increases in salary cap? Hard pass.

Here's a novel idea, why don't clubs take ownership of their situations, rather than trying to find extra assistance to get out of the positions they put themselves in.
And this too.

Priority picks are a disgrace. Poorly run clubs drowning in a huge pile of their own sh*t, for which they have no one but themselves to blame, being rewarded for simply being terrible at their job.

They should be ashamed to to even ask, but they seem to think its some sort of right.

I don't hate compensation for FA, and I know why the AFL does it, but pick 8 as compo for a battler like Battle is just embarrassing.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back