The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

okay, so keep giving bottom clubs high picks. then watch and wait as the same clubs come and take that player in a few years cos nothing changes internally. free agency in its current form has not changed a thing
You're not offering up a viable solution to your problem though. You're only compounding the issue.

You're not offering up a viable solution to your problem though. You're only compounding the issue.
the solution is to actually fix the issues at your club, not just kick the can further down the road by having a highly rated youngster wanting out as wealthier/better clubs circle. rinse and repeat. the issue is an inability to address cultural issues and retaining footballers.

There is compo and then utter bullshit. In no way should any compo pick be in the top 10. If a first round compensation pick is given it should be the end of the first.
If you missed on finals, you shouldn't be having your 1st pick compromised. At the very least slot the compo pick between the teams finishing 8th and 9th

If you missed on finals, you shouldn't be having your 1st pick compromised. At the very least slot the compo pick between the teams finishing 8th and 9th
I think all compo at the end of the round is a good solution, although I am on the side of no compo at all.

Not sure why saints should receive compo for an unrestricted FA who they lowballed initially and if they valued he would have been in their 25% highest paid players and thus restricted.

the solution is to actually fix the issues at your club, not just kick the can further down the road by having a highly rated youngster wanting out as wealthier/better clubs circle. rinse and repeat. the issue is an inability to address cultural issues and retaining footballers.
You could do all that, be a model citizen club and still lose players. That doesn't safeguard against losing players to Free Agency. Nor does being low on the ladder for a period of years suggest a cultural issues needing fixing.

Richmond aren't losing guys because culturally they are poor. Their ceo has been headhunted to create a new club and most of the guys on the list were involved in squads winning flags not long ago. Baker, Rioli and Bolton leaving isn't a cultural issue.

Allowing clubs to lose players for nothing imo takes the competition backwards.

I think all compo at the end of the round is a good solution, although I am on the side of no compo at all.

Not sure why saints should receive compo for an unrestricted FA who they lowballed initially and if they valued he would have been in their 25% highest paid players and thus restricted.
I alter my view then. Thought he was RFA.
Would be happy to see UFA compensation removed.

You could do all that, be a model citizen club and still lose players. That doesn't safeguard against losing players to Free Agency. Nor does being low on the ladder for a period of years suggest a cultural issues needing fixing.

Richmond aren't losing guys because culturally they are poor. Their ceo has been headhunted to create a new club and most of the guys on the list were involved in squads winning flags not long ago. Baker, Rioli and Bolton leaving isn't a cultural issue.

Allowing clubs to lose players for nothing imo takes the competition backwards.
If there was no salary cap floor I would agree with no compensation. Allow clubs to save the cash for a warchest to really target someone.

Due to the floor though clubs have to spend the cash they have saved and that usually goes to average players who shouldn't be anywhere near what they earn.

If there was no salary cap floor I would agree with no compensation. Allow clubs to save the cash for a warchest to really target someone.

Due to the floor though clubs have to spend the cash they have saved and that usually goes to average players who shouldn't be anywhere near what they earn.
That's a good point.

What's the rationale for the salary cap floor? To stop clubs deliberately bottoming out?

That's a good point.

What's the rationale for the salary cap floor? To stop clubs deliberately bottoming out?
Because the AFLPA want to make sure the players are getting as much money as possible

Crazy that North are spending at least 95% on their players as what Brisbane are

I think the idea of the salary floor was well intentioned. I could see some less wealthy clubs paying 2-3m less than others and becoming less competitive as a result. But last paying 95% that of first is ridiculous.

Keep a cap floor to stop club paying 50% of the cap. But lower it from 95%. Maybe 85%. Would stop good average role players getting coin that later makes them impossible to shift. Would give scope to pay high end FA talent handsomely to stay, and would give scope to go big at other clubs stars to make them better.

I think the idea of the salary floor was well intentioned. I could see some less wealthy clubs paying 2-3m less than others and becoming less competitive as a result. But last paying 95% that of first is ridiculous.

Keep a cap floor to stop club paying 50% of the cap. But lower it from 95%. Maybe 85%. Would stop good average role players getting coin that later makes them impossible to shift. Would give scope to pay high end FA talent handsomely to stay, and would give scope to go big at other clubs stars to make them better.
Dropping it to 85% will be over 2.5m less. Nearly no player would be safe if clubs were able to throw that at 1 or 2 players. May also stop all these 7-8 year deals if they know there is a potentially large pay day down the line. Sad that the AFLPA will never agree to it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

christ i thought battle was rfa too. i can agree that restricted free agents probably should get some sort of compensation because the club initially rated them enough to make them top 25% of their pay. agree too that if we must have them they should be end of first round at best. just dont think it's really a good look when you have clubs hoping their player can net them a top 10 pick, no matter their status. feels like rewarding teams extra on top of being poor. like when we were hoping that brad crouch would net is pick 2.

plus wouldnt mind there being a bit more transparency in terms of how they come to the compo conclusions. but as long as player wages are hidden, that seems unlikely.

but as long as player wages are hidden, that seems unlikely.
And the league could end so much speculation and accusations of certain clubs cheating the cap (not that I think they are) if they just published the salaries like the NBA does.

And the league could end so much speculation and accusations of certain clubs cheating the cap (not that I think they are) if they just published the salaries like the NBA does.
yeah but the aflpa doesnt want that to happen either. it really does allow the afl to potentially smooth things over with clubs too about gripes. st kilda complain at the b&f and the complaints get traction? okay bump it up a band. gws upset about constantly losing players? okay bump perryman up another band. whether that happens or not we dont know, and that's the problem. we dont know really anything about the whole process anymore.

Yeah the issue with FA compo is the AFL have deliberately made it a black box to shield it from criticism, which is worse than just making it public like the fixturing formula so that we can at least see where they're coming from.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back