The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Jodly strikes me purely as a West Coast fan and has little knowledge about the game as a whole.

From the uniqueness of Fitzroy's 1916 premiership to the flaws of the Argus system.
How Waverley came to be.
How Geel and NM have a unique bond that kept both in the league against the pushback from Ess/Carl.
The introduction of the 10 year rule.
The zoning system, how it was manipulated and then replaced.

We could go on.
Da **** has that got to do with anything hahahaha

I know we're not successful but it's irrelevant to people moving clubs. Why don't you accept that you make shit up constantly?
Two team town. Both will get their fair share of good players as 1 club will never have the currency to repeatedly get all the good players, and some move for opportunity and if there's already competition in their spot at the other club well that makes the choice easier.

The best player returning to Perth this year went to Freo, reckon that has been the case for a while as well. Historical success means little if you're shit now.

You think success is irrelevant to people moving clubs?

I mean... ok haha.
Overall success yes, otherwise Essendon would have people lining out the doors. Similar with Richmond having won 3 flags recently - everyone is leaving.

Again, why do you make shit up?

Two team town. Both will get their fair share of good players as 1 club will never have the currency to repeatedly get all the good players, and some move for opportunity and if there's already competition in their spot at the other club well that makes the choice easier.

The best player returning to Perth this year went to Freo, reckon that has been the case for a while as well. Historical success means little if you're shit now.
We're never shit for long. That's the difference.

Da **** has that got to do with anything hahahaha
Because like your Liverpool fandom it shows a very simplistic understanding of the wider game. With a tunnel visioned view from the prism of the clubs you follow.

You say St.Kilda have 1 flag in well over 100 years, and they do.

But a lot of success over the years has come about thanks to rules that would seem stupid today.

Collingwood winning the last two in its 4 peat under the argus system. A system whereby the last match of the season would be retrospectively classed as the Grand Final if the minor premier won, but a PF if they lost as they could challenge and get a replay.

Or how the clearance system changed in 1973 with the 10 year rule allowing players to move easier, and NM won two flags in 4 seasons as a result.

Or 1998 as the Crows - who finished 5th - lose their first final by close to 10 goals and don't get eliminated. But instead get a 2nd chance.

There's also premierships whereby there was no Grand Final held.

I could go on and on

Because like your Liverpool fandom it shows a very simplistic understanding of the wider game. With a tunnel visioned view from the prism of the clubs you follow.

You say St.Kilda have 1 flag in well over 100 years, and they do.

But a lot of success over the years has come about thanks to rules that would seem stupid today.

Collingwood winning the last two in its 4 peat under the argus system. A system whereby the last match of the season would be retrospectively classed as the Grand Final if the minor premier won, but a PF if they lost as they could challenge and get a replay.

Or how the clearance system changed in 1973 with the 10 year rule allowing players to move easier, and NM won two flags in 4 seasons as a result.

Or 1998 as the Crows - who finished 5th - lose their first final by close to 10 goals and don't get eliminated. But instead get a 2nd chance.

There's also premierships whereby there was no Grand Final held.

I could go on and on
What's your actual point though.

Teams win and lose Premierships, yes many different rules and ways to win over the 100+ years of the sport.

Even in all those changes and rules, some clubs are traditionally successful and others arent. That's all I was telling the Freo fans but they get upset about it.

This is going to be histories biggest “I told you do” when Chad Warner becomes a Fremantle player in 12 months.

This is going to be histories biggest “I told you do” when Chad Warner becomes a Fremantle player in 12 months.
Yeah but WCE won 4 flags in 38 years so doesn't matter, even if we win the flag and get Warner

Yeah but WCE won 4 flags in 38 years so doesn't matter, even if we win the flag and get Warner
I am sure that is what Tim Kelly tells himself after every 13 to 28 goal loss over the last 3 years. :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Successful clubs in the AFL are clubs like Brisbane, West Coast, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn etc...

Clubs that arent successful are your GWS's, Gold Coast, Freo, St.Kilda, North Melbournes etc.
In the last 30 seasons Eagles have won same number of flags as North

Jodly strikes me purely as a West Coast fan and has little knowledge about the game as a whole.

From the uniqueness of Fitzroy's 1916 premiership to the flaws of the Argus system.
How Waverley came to be.
How Geel and NM have a unique bond that kept both in the league against the pushback from Ess/Carl.
The introduction of the 10 year rule.
The zoning system, how it was manipulated and then replaced.

We could go on.
Quit your complaining, over here we have to live every day around these people.

From Mitch Cleary

Breaking - Sanctions for GWS players:

Josh Fahey - Four matches

Jake Riccardi, Joe Fonti, Toby McMullin, Harvey Thomas, Cooper Hamilton - All two matches

Lachie Whitfield, Toby Greene, Connor Idun, Tom Green, Sam Taylor, Lachie Keeffe - All $5k

New Magpie Harry Perryman - $5k

Interesting that best 22 players only got fines.

From Mitch Cleary

Breaking - Sanctions for GWS players:

Josh Fahey - Four matches

Jake Riccardi, Joe Fonti, Toby McMullin, Harvey Thomas, Cooper Hamilton - All two matches

Lachie Whitfield, Toby Greene, Connor Idun, Tom Green, Sam Taylor, Lachie Keeffe - All $5k

New Magpie Harry Perryman - $5k

Interesting that best 22 players only got fines.
1729198363688.gif

What's your actual point though.

Teams win and lose Premierships, yes many different rules and ways to win over the 100+ years of the sport.

Even in all those changes and rules, some clubs are traditionally successful and others arent. That's all I was telling the Freo fans but they get upset about it.
I would too if someone who follows the game on a superficial level was revelling in the contrasting successes of both Perth clubs.

Success is a fine margins thing. St.Kilda were a poster in '09 and the bounce of the ball in '10 from being B2B premiers and one of the more successful teams in the AFL era.

Collingwood probably win a couple more flags without the 10 year rule, and if Harmes/Sheldon is correctly called OOB. But have less if there was no GF challenge during their 4-peat.

Your first two flags were gifted by the generous concessions on entry. Only won in '06 narrowly. Sheed could have shanked that shot and you're sitting here flagless.

In essence you have little idea about this game, so to lecture others on success is a little hard to take

I would too if someone who follows the game on a superficial level was revelling in the contrasting successes of both Perth clubs.

Success is a fine margins thing. St.Kilda were a poster in '09 and the bounce of the ball in '10 from being B2B premiers and one of the more successful teams in the AFL era.

Collingwood probably win a couple more flags without the 10 year rule, and if Harmes/Sheldon is correctly called OOB. But have less if there was no GF challenge during their 4-peat.

Your first two flags were gifted by the generous concessions on entry. Only won in '06 narrowly. Sheed could have shanked that shot and you're sitting here flagless.

In essence you have little idea about this game, so to lecture others on success is a little hard to take

Yeah, but it’s funny.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back