The Barrassi Line

Remove this Banner Ad

You would assume football clubs have more players too, given its 13 vs 18 on field.

Without going through the reports was this factored in ?

I doubt it. This report is layered with inaccuracies. There is a rugby league comp centred on Griffith in southern NSW as well, but there are three Australian football competitions in the same overall southern Riverina region.

I doubt it. This report is layered with inaccuracies. There is a rugby league comp centred on Griffith in southern NSW as well, but there are three Australian football competitions in the same overall southern Riverina region.

I'm not sure about the Riverina, but Aussie Rules clubs in the ACT also have more depth than rugby league clubs.

In 2022, counting clubs that fielded senior men's teams, there were 10 AF clubs and 8 RL clubs in the ACT.

But most of those AF clubs had at least one reserves team. So if you count men's senior teams fielded in 2022, AF had 23 to RL's 13.

When you consider more players per team, AF probably has more than twice as many men's players as RL, but just looking at the number of clubs makes it look much closer.

I'm not sure about the Riverina, but Aussie Rules clubs in the ACT also have more depth than rugby league clubs.

In 2022, counting clubs that fielded senior men's teams, there were 10 AF clubs and 8 RL clubs in the ACT.

But most of those AF clubs had at least one reserves team. So if you count men's senior teams fielded in 2022, AF had 23 to RL's 13.

When you consider more players per team, AF probably has more than twice as many men's players as RL, but just looking at the number of clubs makes it look much closer.
Okay, but if you include touch and tag, which you really should if your intent is to get an accurate reflection of the popularity of RL, because that's how most RL fans whom just want to play for fun, including ex-professional players, have participated in the sport for decades now, then the number of people in the ACT participating in RL in some form explodes.

It's really weird how people over or underestimate how popular each code is in Canberra/the ACT based on dogma and a lack of exposure to the other sport. Every person whom is exclusively an Aussie Rules or RL fan you meet will overestimate how popular their sport is, and dramatically underestimate how popular the other code is. The truth lies in the middle, and people don't want to hear it, but both sports are so close in popularity in the ACT that neither is dominant over the other.

Okay, but if you include touch and tag, which you really should if your intent is to get an accurate reflection of the popularity of RL, because that's how most RL fans whom just want to play for fun, including ex-professional players, have participated in the sport for decades now, then the number of people in the ACT participating in RL in some form explodes.

It's really weird how people over or underestimate how popular each code is in Canberra/the ACT based on dogma and a lack of exposure to the other sport. Every person whom is exclusively an Aussie Rules or RL fan you meet will overestimate how popular their sport is, and dramatically underestimate how popular the other code is. The truth lies in the middle, and people don't want to hear it, but both sports are so close in popularity in the ACT that neither is dominant over the other.

There's not really a dominant code, not in the way any other states have definitive allegiances.

The article which sparked this recent debate though regards data on the number of clubs, and I think the depth of the clubs is relevant, especially as the map attached to the article really shafted AF in the ACT.

Fcz-VxRaMAEmdJx.jpg

I don't give as much weight to recreational teams. My wife plays touch, and she has zero interest in NRL. She didn't even know if touch was related to league or union. I used to play indoor soccer, and I've only ever watched the one A-League game on TV. I've played mixed netball and never watched a Super Netball game. Conversely, I play AFL7s and try to get teammates to come to GWS games, but they've got more interest in playing than watching.

Touch is an easy game to pick up for a bit of fun. I'm sure there's a bit of correlation, but players shouldn't get the same weight as club players in terms of participation.

The ACT also has a big union participation base, so I would guess there's quite a few union types that would play touch recreationally, too.

But I think the NRL has been very clever tying in the numbers to their participation. The AFL can only wish they were that successful with AFL9s.

A silly article. Australian football is “advancing in the Riverina”.
My guess is that this writer has never been to the Riverina.
Coolamon is a football club that has been in existence since the 1800s, Wagga Tigers, Ganmain etc.. they’ve been around for over 100 years.
Aust. Football has been the primary sport in the Riverina for ever.
How do they “advance”?
Not sure what the context is.

Unsubstantiated motherhood claims, all of them.

IMO to take over NSW, need to start paying people to go to games. Build ovals everywhere, send schools free footys and send up auskicks everywhere. Also, need to start paying ex footballers to go around to school and doing mini footy clinics.

IMO to take over NSW, need to start paying people to go to games. Build ovals everywhere, send schools free footys and send up auskicks everywhere. Also, need to start paying ex footballers to go around to school and doing mini footy clinics.
Kids like to be seen backing winners and Swans wasn't that yesterday, and then there is a all Sydney NRL Grand Final this coming weekend

Which is of little or no interest to the rest of the the Nation that are not into RL except maybe some interest in QLD!
It is to Western Sydney where GWS are trying to establish themselves not very successfully, and will also be shown in Western Europe.
The TV figures will be interesting as well

It is to Western Sydney where GWS are trying to establish themselves not very successfully

If you use other established AFL sides as a comparison. Not so if you use Sydney NRL sides as a comparison.

and will also be shown in Western Europe.

I'm sure if you look hard enough it will be on somewhere, but otherwise blip.

Yeah, probably uninteresting to be correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is to Western Sydney where GWS are trying to establish themselves not very successfully, and will also be shown in Western Europe.

The TV figures will be excellent. Prime time on a Sunday. NRL smart.

If it was 2pm on a Saturday afternoon then you see how many people outside of Sydney even give a shit.

The TV figures will be excellent. Prime time on a Sunday. NRL smart.

If it was 2pm on a Saturday afternoon then you see how many people outside of Sydney even give a s**t.

IF its not a blowout early, then the figures will be great, especially for a close Parra win.

Last time the AFL had a record low, the NRL went even lower.

It's making the AFL grand final look close.

Parramatta supporters would have bailed fair while back. Look unlikely to score.

still on at prime time... still going to rate well.

Why the NRL is smart.

If this was on at 2pm Saturday be a lost cause.

The western Europe thing makes me laugh. Having lived in the U.K. it's hard to describe how small rugby league is over there. Very roughly speaking its about 30% as popular as rugby union which is about 10% as popular as soccer.

To call it a niche sport is a bit of a stretch.

The AFL grand final is telecast live over there. Don't see too many people trying to claim that our game is telecast live to Western Europe as a badge of honour.

The western Europe thing makes me laugh. Having lived in the U.K. it's hard to describe how small rugby league is over there. Very roughly speaking its about 30% as popular as rugby union which is about 10% as popular as soccer.

To call it a niche sport is a bit of a stretch.

The AFL grand final is telecast live over there. Don't see too many people trying to claim that our game is telecast live to Western Europe as a badge of honour.
What would be the TV ratings for the AFL grand final in the UK?

What would be the TV ratings for the AFL grand final in the UK?
Likewise I've never met an Englishman that had ever watched an NRL game on Skywhether it be grand final or state of origin.

There might be some in that st. Helens, Leeds area but the numbers would be minimal.

I did go to a few of the Oval AFL games but that was pretty much preaching to the converted. Lotsa drunk Aussies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back