Analysis The Big Fish We Didn't Catch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeds said:
I still dont know why we dont organise joint post season trips for our players with the australian female basketball team with free booze. We really need to be more long term thinking.

Atsam points out rightly that there is an implication by Seeds that is not stated, and that it is not respectful of the women (and the married men in our squad). Humour just hides the disrespect it doesn't remove it.
I took it that he jokingly meant a way to enhance our prospective Father-Sons. Can't see too much disrespect in that. Can't see what other connotation there is. Take the free booze out though.

I took it that he jokingly meant a way to enhance our prospective Father-Sons. Can't see too much disrespect in that. Can't see what other connotation there is. Take the free booze out though.

Understand.
I am sure he was joking. And I have made similar mistakes in the past, but that is the past.

These days (sad to say that really) those that have been the brunt of such jokes deserve more respect.

I have learnt to be critical because I have two daughters. They need to know that they must earn respect but also that those who make such jokes ARE being disrespectful.

Jokes are where prejudices hide.

Go cats - AFLW and AFL .

Understand.
I am sure he was joking. And I have made similar mistakes in the past, but that is the past.

These days (sad to say that really) those that have been the brunt of such jokes deserve more respect.

I have learnt to be critical because I have two daughters. They need to know that they must earn respect but also that those who make such jokes ARE being disrespectful.

Go cats - AFLW and AFL .

Understand your sentiment, but where does it stop?

Must we then ban jokes about the Irish, Pom's, Kiwi's, Texan's, Catholic priests, women, men, marriage, Mother-in-laws etc? Rhetorical question.

Humour, by nature, makes a little fun of people and institutions. The reason it is humourous is that the punchline highlights the foibles, perculiarities and perceptions of the human race. Of course there is a line of respect that shouldn't be crossed, but geez it seems the world is slowly closing in on itself in a desperate bid to be precious and offended by everything these days. Not directed at you either by the way!

And yes, I am father.......

Anyhow, rant over :oops:

Understand.

Go cats - AFLW and AFL .
I too have 2 daughters.
As said, it appeared as if it was a comment on how to improve father-sons- if that is incorrect, mea culpa. The free alcohol is perhaps sinister. Anyway, eye of the beholder??

Last edited:
Understand your sentiment, but where does it stop?

Must we then ban jokes about the Irish, Pom's, Kiwi's, Texan's, Catholic priests, women, men, marriage, Mother-in-laws etc? Rhetorical question.

Humour, by nature, makes a little fun of people and institutions. The reason it is humourous is that the punchline highlights the foibles, perculiarities and perceptions of the human race. Of course there is a line of respect that shouldn't be crossed, but geez it seems the world is slowly closing in on itself in a desperate bid to be precious and offended by everything these days. Not directed at you either by the way!

And yes, I am father.......

Anyhow, rant over :oops:

I think you make some good points. It's not a rant.

I will elaborate a little though. To me:

Jokes about foibles or peculiarities can be very funny unless deliberately meant to hurt. And a good number of these joke types are not hurtful. And I love them. If I am quick enough I make them. Some are hurtful though (cue the mimic who limps in unison behind a cripple) and they have no place.

Perceptions worry me more. Often perceptions are born out of stereotypes. Stereotypes often are disrespectful, degrading or racist. Again its not all jokes based on a perception that are a problem but many are - especially those poorly thought through.

A really good point you make is the dilemma. Life is more complicated now. Do I just go along with the crowd, or where I think a joke is disrespectful, do I point it out? I have been pulled up quite a few times over the years after a poorly thought through attempt at a joke. Once standing on a podium in front of a decent crowd. The shuffle of feet and murmur that followed still lives in my head.

Thanks for your reply. It has got me thinking.

But this a footy forum I love to read. So I am off my high horse and wishing AFLW kicked off before Xmas!!

Go Cats 2019

Last edited:
On so many levels that is a revolting statement. Drunk, mindless, potentially violent s**x is not something to be jokingly referred to. It is unfortunate that this board , like others, descends into suggestions that women are just there to serve men.
And why isnt it the men serving the women? And where did you get violent from? Some disturbing things happening in your head.

And why isnt it the men serving the women? And where did you get violent from? Some disturbing things happening in your head.
Some weird things going on there. Having to censor out the word sex as well is kind of bizarre to me.
Nothing at all wrong with your post, people just looking and even making up things to get offended about.

Slow clap for those who make associations with things written and then conclude that the post also was talking about those associations in your head. You have just made a basic error in cognition. Well done.

Now can you recognize it so we can get back to the thread topic?
Yeah but.... it’s the implication! [/Always Sunny]

Mumford heading back to GWS. Bizarre.
Wonder if there was any interest in him by us, prior to his affliction with the sniffs.
Never been a fan personally, but most on here are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if there was any interest in him by us, prior to his affliction with the sniffs.
Sure, if it was still 2014. Wouldn't go anywhere near him for our current list.

Was never that unhappy he left in the first place.
Better than average footballer, champion sausage swallower, bit of a dill.

Re. The poster blowing up about what was pretty obviously a harmless post about boys and girls getting pissed and doing what boys and girls do when they get pissed

Are we going to get to the stage where we can’t say ‘geez we killed the bombers last night’ because it’s offensive to anyone who has had someone close to them get murdered?

F***en hell.

On so many levels that is a revolting statement. Drunk, mindless, potentially violent s**x is not something to be jokingly referred to. It is unfortunate that this board , like others, descends into suggestions that women are just there to serve men.
Seeds said:
I still dont know why we dont organise joint post season trips for our players with the australian female basketball team with free booze. We really need to be more long term thinking.

Atsam points out rightly that there is an implication by Seeds that is not stated, and that it is not respectful of the women (and the married men in our squad). Humour just hides the disrespect it doesn't remove it.
FMD what did I just read?

Some people need to get a life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back