The Big Footy Liverpool Army Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isnt a personal crack at anyone, but how can Babel be considered a striker when he hasnt played there in ages, even with the problems with Torres, Keane etc... Not saying that Babel should be thinking of heading back to Ajax, but surely to be classfied as a striker, he needs to be played there...

Amazed that Babel isnt in your regular first team, let alone regularly in the side with the current injuries and form from within your first team...

He's more a natural forward then a winger, Rafa just likes using him out wide. Babel just lacks consistency when given starts. He's got the tools to be a sensational player, but he just can't see to make a sustained effort on a contest when he starts. This is why he's often used as a sub because his best impact on games come when other players are tired, and he can come on fresh and cause problems with his trickery.

He's more a natural forward then a winger, Rafa just likes using him out wide. Babel just lacks consistency when given starts. He's got the tools to be a sensational player, but he just can't see to make a sustained effort on a contest when he starts. This is why he's often used as a sub because his best impact on games come when other players are tired, and he can come on fresh and cause problems with his trickery.

I understand how he is being used as a wide player, but if he isnt getting game time then surely it isnt that crazy for him to be looking elsewhere, or at least be looking keen to find game time. After watching him dominate the Olympics Im amazed at how little game time he is getting...

Also I get the sub part as well, but surely Rafa should be giving him at least half an hour to do something, rather then at times where he gets less then 10 minutes... Looking at what someone like Walcott has done since getting a regular gig, surely more game time for Babel is a good thing...

That midweek game couldnt have gone better. N'Gog scored his first goal for the club after a great through ball from Keane. Riera scored a screamer and Babel got back amongst the goals. Also european debuts for Darby, Spearing and Kelly. All positive. Plus despite not scoring, Keane from all reports played really well and apparently Lucas bossed it from midfield which is great news.

Interesting to see Masch get the armband too when Carra went off. Id suspect Masch would be behind Alonso and Hyypia if they were on. Still great to see him wear the armband for 5 or so minutes.

Oh and has anyone else seen that AC Milan have come out publically that they will try to sign Daniel Agger in January.

It's often harder to determine the performances of some players when you see it live rather than on TV. What did people think of Dossena's game? I read an article claiming he had a good game, but I thought he looked crap again. Didn't do much, some more bad errors, and the thing that stuck with me the most watching him off the ball was his positioning. Agger had to keep yelling at him telling him where to stand etc. Considering he's a defender, I didn't think he really knew his job and where he needs to be positioning himself relative to his teammates

It does take time to settle into a formation, particuarly when you are new to a club and not playing all that much football. Having said that, he needs to improve his awareness and cohesiveness with the team. Not to mention decision making.

btw, big :thumbsdown: for this kit

liverpool-08-09-away-kit.jpg

That midweek game couldnt have gone better. N'Gog scored his first goal for the club after a great through ball from Keane. Riera scored a screamer and Babel got back amongst the goals. Also european debuts for Darby, Spearing and Kelly. All positive. Plus despite not scoring, Keane from all reports played really well and apparently Lucas bossed it from midfield which is great news.

Interesting to see Masch get the armband too when Carra went off. Id suspect Masch would be behind Alonso and Hyypia if they were on. Still great to see him wear the armband for 5 or so minutes.

Oh and has anyone else seen that AC Milan have come out publically that they will try to sign Daniel Agger in January.

Finnan and Riise wore the armband in matches last season (when Gerrard was injured and Carra went off injured)

I'm all for Masch getting it, but I do agree, he's probably next in line behind Stevie, Carra, Sami, Xabi and probably even Nando.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Story...+close+in+on+United+in+battle+for+global+fans

Liverpool close in on United in battle for global fans

It is not just on the pitch that Liverpool are closing the gap on Manchester United: the English Premier League (EPL) leaders are also winning the battle for new fans around the world.

The biggest-ever survey of EPL fans across the globe has revealed that Liverpool are on the verge of toppling United from their perch as the best-supported club in the world's favourite league.
The survey, organised by the EPL's principal sponsors, Barclays, polled 32,000 fans in 185 countries and territories.
United remain the most popular club but only by the tiniest of margins with both teams attracting the backing of 26 per cent of the supporters who took part in the voluntary survey.
For Liverpool, that represents a significant advance on the 18 percent figure they registered in a similar but smaller survey carried out by Barclays three years ago.
The popularity of Liverpool's biggest stars also suggests that United's status as the most valuable brand in English football is under siege.
Cristiano Ronaldo may have been a near unanimous choice for this year's Ballon d'Or after inspiring his club to a Premier League and Champions League double.
But he trails behind Liverpool duo Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard in terms of popularity among fans.
Historically, Thierry Henry continues to be regarded as the greatest player to have graced the Premier League since its launch in 1992 - although it is Henry's Barcelona team-mate, Lionel Messi, that fans regard as the most desirable target among stars currently plying their trade outside England.
There are important regional differences in the survey's findings. Eric Cantona is still the king for fans in South Africa and United are still out in front as the most popular team in Asia, buoyed perhaps by the fact that South Korean midfielder Park Ji-Sung is now a regular at Old Trafford.
The survey is not encouraging for Chelsea's hopes of supplanting Manchester United as the English club with the biggest international fan base.
The west London club appear to be regarded as this season's team to beat - 37 per cent of fans tipped them to win the title - but only ten per cent are willing to declare themselves supporters, well behind Arsenal (15 per cent), as well as the market leaders Manchester United and Liverpool.
The survey offers intriguing insights into the importance of the EPL in the lives of its followers: over two thirds of them will have splashed out on a replica shirt and nearly half regard football as more important than family matters, job or relationship issues.
The poll also reflects technological change with the internet (82 per cent of those polled) now almost as important a medium for the enjoyment of football as television (92 per cent).
Newspapers meanwhile have been relegated to third place (55 percent) and are under siege from new platforms such as internet feeds to mobile phones.
Some traditional aspects of English football culture continue to dominate with the passion of fans and the atmosphere in the country's stadiums ranked as the most attractive feature of the EPL, ahead of the attacking style of play.
And despite the huge influence of non-English players, the vitality of the EPL continues to be seen as a strong base for England's national team.
They may have failed to make Euro 2008 under Steve McClaren, but EPL fans around the world have made them Fabio Capello's squad favourites to lift the World Cup in South Africa next year

With the group stages of the CL over it can now be confirmed that Liverpool will play one of the following teams in the final 16 knock out stage:

Inter Milan, Sporting Lisbon, Villarreal, Lyon or Real Madrid.

First leg away, Second leg at Anfield.

I wouldn't mind playing Madrid. We haven't played them for a while (unless my memory is fading), it'd be a big occasion andapparently their defence has been pretty ordinary this season.

We wont fear anyone.

We beat Inter last season, we wont mind travelling to Spain (Villareal or Madrid), we certainly wont fear Sporting and the other is Lyon (who could be dangerous at home, but I'd be confident). In fact I am extremely confident with any of those ties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well after being away all week I have been trawling BF (thanks K249 for the highlights link), RAWK, LFC.TV and a few other for reviews of the midweek game. Needless to say after an hour or so's reading and 15mins of highlights I am a very happy camper!

If in August somebody had said to me: Half way thru Dec LFC would be outright top of the Prem and through to the last 16 in Europe after topping their group I would have been rapt.

If you also consider we are in these positions and:
Torres has played only a handful of games.
Skrtel has also missed a lot of games.
Keane has been bad to date, so bad he needed to be dropped.
Xabi, despite being hocked all over Europe during the window has put his head down and been certainly in LFC's best 3 players, and arguably in the top very few in the league.
The LB position still has not been filled despite the purchase of Doss.
The RW position is arguably still our weakest, and yet Dirky has held the spot down pretty much.
Stevie hasn't really dominated alot of games.

Now all those things could be described as the negatives. Here are a few of what I consider our positives:
Winning games we would have lost or drawn over the past few seasons.
Pepe Reina just goes along quietly as arguably the Prems best keeper.
The back 4 has been solid again despite missing Skrtel.
Aurelio has been very good, and until now, fit.
Arby Very good.
Riera has been very good too. A couple of quieter games, but solid durable, and a good option down the left. Oh and not a bad shot on him!
Dirk Kuyt has got back on the score sheets fairly regularly.
Lastly a couple of positives that have come of late:
Lucas, despite being booed by the Anfield crowd (WTF is that?) has obviously decided to prove his worth with his boots, by all reports one of if not the best midweek.
Fringe players are almost begging for game time. (I see this as a positive bcoz it puts presssure on all players in the squad to perform.)
Rafa has started to blood the reserves with Spearing, El-Zahr, Kelly, Ngog, Insua & Darby all getting recent game time.

All in all 'tis a good place to be.:D:D

Liverpool fans have known it for years but now it's official - Xabi Alonso is English football's pass master.
The midfielder became the first Premier League player to complete 1,000 successful passes during 2008-09 against Blackburn.

Opta stats show Alonso has hit 1,005 accurate passes this term, creating 26 goalscoring chances in the process.

Chelsea midfielder Jon Obi Mikel is second with 957 successful passes and 12 chances created.

Next comes Arsenal's Denilson (922 and 27), followed by Chelsea and England midfielder Frank Lampard (901 and 48).

Liverpool fans have known it for years but now it's official - Xabi Alonso is English football's pass master.
The midfielder became the first Premier League player to complete 1,000 successful passes during 2008-09 against Blackburn.

Opta stats show Alonso has hit 1,005 accurate passes this term, creating 26 goalscoring chances in the process.

Chelsea midfielder Jon Obi Mikel is second with 957 successful passes and 12 chances created.

Next comes Arsenal's Denilson (922 and 27), followed by Chelsea and England midfielder Frank Lampard (901 and 48).

Those are some interesting facts, does it have a pass % rate?

I have found out that Alonso has hit 1180 passes this season of which 1005 have been completed. 85% accuracy.

Denilson 1063 passes, 87%
Lampard 1057, 85%
Mikel 1053, 91%
Fabregas 1046, 81%

Nicolas Anelka has had 47 shots on goal (28% of his shots have been goals).

Lee Cattermole has made 72 tackles (78% success rate)

Shaun Wright-Phillips has made 88 runs & dribbles

David Bentley has whipped in 185 crosses

Offside Adebayor has been caught offside 35 times (no doubt there's been about 54 times when he hasn't been flagged)

Marouane Foullaini has conceded 51 fouls

Blackburn have conceded 239 fouls

Chelsea have had 240 shots

Scott Carson's has made 66 saves, which is 70% of shots at his goal saved.

These are the leaders in the category.

Code:
Team  	       Goals  	Shots  	On Target  	Shot Accuracy  	Succ Passes  	   	 
Arsenal 	 28 	228 	  99 	             43% 	   6838 	  	 
Aston Villa 	 25 	145 	  67 	             46% 	   3459 	  	 
Blackburn 	 17 	143 	  57 	             40% 	   4369 	  	 
Bolton 	         18 	181 	  70 	             39% 	   2885 	  	 
Chelsea 	 35 	240 	  105 	             44% 	   7521 	  	 
Everton 	 22 	155 	  63 	             41% 	   4338 	  	 
Fulham 	         13 	154 	  65 	             42% 	   4563 	  	 
Hull 	         24 	152 	  73 	             48% 	   3613 	  	 
Liverpool 	 24 	223 	  83 	             37% 	   6474