The Big Footy Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree guys, our set pieces involving corners are a disgrace. surely rafa has something brewing for a cristiano ronaldo type player! his corners are wicked! we should just keep it simple, only a handful of players can play multiple positions, keep the players playing where they play best and how it suits the team. we just dont have enough of these guns yet. when we beat barca in two weeks, then we will gain the confidence to win the CL again and every "gun" will come to us. let's hope, because i was stressing a little in the second half when the hammers scored, quality players dont lie down. alot of people forget how we have struggled against top teams until of late. add kewell, sissoko, (two midfield geniuses) and we can bring home a 6th!

Move over Man USA - the stars and stripes are coming to Merseyside. :cool: ;)

Liverpool have agreed a deal with American tycoons George Gillett and Tom Hicks, who are set to complete their takeover of the club early next week.
Gillett and Hicks flew to England earlier this week for a secret meeting with senior Liverpool officials.

They persuaded the club to stall talks with Dubai International Capital, who had been expected to buy out the club.

Hicks and Gillett will split the £470m takeover on a 50-50 basis with £215m of that earmarked for a new stadium.

Gillett owns National Hockey League side Montreal Canadiens while Hicks owns rival NHL franchise Dallas Stars as well as the Texas Rangers baseball team.

Hicks has built up a reputation for developing state-of-the-art new stadia for his teams and his participation was a key factor in Liverpool deciding to go with the US bid.

The other issue which clinched the deal is the Americans guaranteed that Liverpool's new stadium on Stanley Park would not be on a groundshare basis, which had been Gillett's original plan when he was considering a solo takeover.

Gillett has impressed Liverpool with his proposals and the speed at which he completed due diligence - the process of investigation by potential investors - in three days.

The 68-year-old American has also stressed his experience in running successful sporting operations.

However, the Independent has claimed that Gillett's business empire collapsed in 1992, leading to a £33.7m personal bankruptcy.

Gillett and Hicks have worked together in the past on the board of a major US meat-processing firm.

Their idea to take over Liverpool gathered force when they met at the NHL All-Star Game last week.

It would be the first time that two owners of rival sports clubs in one league have combined to purchase a club in another.

TAKEOVER COST BREAKDOWN
Buying out shareholders (incl £80m debt): £255m
New stadium: £215m
TOTAL COST: £470m

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6323037.stm

Liverpool - Reina, Finnan, Riise, Carragher, Agger, Alonso, Gerrard, Pennant, Bellamy, Crouch, Kuyt.

Subs - Dudek, Hyypia, Fowler, Gonzalez, Zenden.

Guessiing 4-4-2, with Bellamy on the left. Otherwise the midfield is quite unbalanced and too much of the load rests with Xabi.

Maybe Kuyt on the left? Have seen him play as a winger before.

Or we may use Riise at LM with Finnan forming part of a back 3?

Is leaving out Gonzo a bad sign for him given we're bereft of left sided players with Kewell, Aurelio and Garcia out?

Is Gerrard actually going to play a good game this season?

Even if this strong Liverpool run he hasn't been himself and others have been largely responsible.

He's had a dissapointing season but I expect him to have a big game tonight.

He's been a victim of his own high standards. Would probably still be our best player so far this year, but hasn't been as consistently brilliant as he was last year. Not sure what to attribute that to though. Last year he played his best football for us in his free role on the right, but this year his best has come in the centre. Not sure what to make of that really.

He's been a victim of his own high standards. Would probably still be our best player so far this year, but hasn't been as consistently brilliant as he was last year. Not sure what to attribute that to though. Last year he played his best football for us in his free role on the right, but this year his best has come in the centre. Not sure what to make of that really.
you reckon he's been your best player?

for one you have a dude who's been the best new signing in the league and imo would be at least amongst the top half dozen players of the season.

I think Alonso has been better as well, especially in this successful run of Liverpool's where imo he's been as integral as anyone.

Gerrard hasn't been terrible, I know that but dissapointing would sum it up. His production has been well down and in general terms his influence has been far less than in recent seasons.

His talent means he can turn it around at the flick of a lightswitch but he's one who'll definitely need to come up big and lift his output if Liverpool are to get past Barcelona and even if it's ridiculously unlikely make a challenge at the title. (which basically means winning every game from here)

He's been a victim of his own high standards.

No he's not, I don't expect him to dominate every game but I at least expect him to play like a captain, which he hasn't done.

Would probably still be our best player so far this year,

Bull********, he'd be lining up in the top 3 as one of our worst players of the season

No he's not, I don't expect him to dominate every game but I at least expect him to play like a captain, which he hasn't done.

Bull********, he'd be lining up in the top 3 as one of our worst players of the season

He has been ordinary, but i know one player who has been worse (and who we expect much MORE from) ... Alonso. Apart from that hot streak of about 3-4 games earlier in the season, he has been very very disappointing!

Tonight he was lazy and VERY wasteful. This run of great form can be put down to two players ... Kuyt and Pennant. The rest have had their moments, but Alonso and Gerrard have been firing blanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alonso. Apart from that hot streak of about 3-4 games earlier in the season, he has been very very disappointing!

You kidding?

He had a very very bad first two months but since then he's by far and away our best midfielder, today he had a stinker but so did, well, everyone bar Pepe and Carra

There are way worse than Xabi, he's been below standards but he has still performed 50 times better than Gerrard have this season

Very disappointing effort by the boys tonight considering how much the local derby means to the fans of Liverpool and Everton and how much it meant in the context of our season.

Tonight as already mentioned Alonso was extremely wasteful and perhaps a tad lazy. That is the worst passing i have seen from Xabi in a long long time He will be suspended anyway and Momo will come back into the starting line up.

I also thought Riise was poor and Crouch should have scored. Pennant also had a shocker of a game. Did not deliver much quality to our forwards.

I am also surprised that Rafa took so long to make a sub although in fairness to him he didnt have much on the bench. However i did think Fowler was worthy of more than 5 minutes of game time.

On a positve, that is one of the better games i have seen Reina play. He was alert and made a great save,

Oh and that would have been the perfect for Garcia. We need his touch of creativity to help unlock Everton.

jlc

rafa had a stinker

everton back 4 is huge so we just keep feeding them long balls :rolleyes:

even though i dont rate either of them zenden or gonzales shouldve come on and had a crack at getting past a few of them and spreading the play

everton are a big club :thumbsdown:

that's our problem, our game plan is always the long balls into the box, you really need a very precise kick into the box in order to take advantage, yet we don't have any players that could do that, not to mentioned that we have a tall guy who can't head the ball, we can't even do corners and free kick properly.

LMAO

Quality find...

As for the derby, really disappointing that we couldnt find a goal. I thought God deserved more time as he created two chances in the 5 mins he was on. He always looks sharp when he comes on, deserved more of a run. Pepe made a great save from Johnson though to keep us at 0-0. Reina is in some good form, in fact the whole defence is, well actually the whole team is, it just wasnt our day.

And of course the big news of the takeover. From the interviews, it all sounds very promising but we can only wait and see.

From Fox Sports...

US duo seals Liverpool deal

From correspondents in Liverpool
February 07, 2007

AMERICAN tycoons George Gillett and Tom Hicks have reached an agreement over their £470 million ($1.19 billion) takeover of Liverpool, the club announced on Tuesday.

The two National Hockey League team owners are expected to make a formal announcement to the London Stock Exchange later Tuesday.

Gillett, who owns the NHL's Montreal Canadiens, joined forces with Hicks, owner of the NHL's Dallas Stars and the Texas Rangers baseball team, to trump rival bidders Dubai International Capital last week.

Arrangements over the future of Liverpool's new stadium appear to have clinched the deal.

Not only has Hicks built up a reputation for developing state-of-the-art stadia for his teams, but the duo have now guaranteed that Liverpool's new Stanley Park ground would not be shared with other teams.

In Gillett's original approach, when he was considering a solo takeover, he had indicated he wanted a ground-share arrangement to cut costs and maximise income.

Hicks and Gillett will split the cost of taking over the club on a 50-50 basis, with around £255 million ($646 million) going to buy the shareholding and take over the £80 million ($202 million)debt, and a further £215 million ($544 million) on the stadium.

When the takeover goes through it will mean Liverpool, Manchester United and Aston Villa are all in American hands.

Malcolm Glazer, owner of American football's (NFL) Tampa Bay Buccaneers, owns United and Randy Lerner, owner of NFL's Cleveland Browns, bought Aston Villa last year.

Newcastle at St James' this weekend. Another tough game. Need to win.

Thoughts fellow reds?
We actually have a very good record there in recent seasons. The challenge will bring out the best in us and we'll bounce back from a disappointing result against Everton. Reds to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back