The Big Footy Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one would ever give this a mention, but our strong finish of any season is due to Rafa's squad rotation

But the media will just keep using rotation as a stick to beat Rafa with

I totally agree with you Cooldude, but strong finishes to the season mean nothing if you're 15 points behind by the end of November.

No one would ever give this a mention, but our strong finish of any season is due to Rafa's squad rotation

But the media will just keep using rotation as a stick to beat Rafa with
Agreed

I totally agree with you Cooldude, but strong finishes to the season mean nothing if you're 15 points behind by the end of November.
Agreed.

Hopefully with this new budget that Raffa is suposed to get next season squad depth will further increase and the rotation wont have an affect on the pitch in terms of quality.

Hopefully with this new budget that Raffa is suposed to get next season squad depth will further increase and the rotation wont have an affect on the pitch in terms of quality.

See, I don't want a bigger squad. Rafa's been given 40 million quid. I'd rather see him invest that coin in some A-list talent (David Villa or Vicente for example) rather then spreading it out to buy five or six middle of the rung type players, which he has done for the last few years.
Liverpool doesn't need more squad depth, it needs world class talent to team up with Gerrard. Preferably in front of goal.

See, I don't want a bigger squad. Rafa's been given 40 million quid. I'd rather see him invest that coin in some A-list talent (David Villa or Vicente for example) rather then spreading it out to buy five or six middle of the rung type players, which he has done for the last few years.
Liverpool doesn't need more squad depth, it needs world class talent to team up with Gerrard. Preferably in front of goal.

I agree.
However with better talent usually comes a better squad. Look at Chelsea their depth (apart from defensivly which turns to **** when Terry is out) is pretty handy. Wright Philips wasnt getting a run for great lengths of time and he isnt exactly the worst players running around.

The teams Rafa put out at the start of the season were more than good enough to win most of the games

If they didn't, it's not necessarily Rafa's fault for rotating, it's purely on the players to go out there to perform.

i dont know about you guys, but i will be secretly loving it if those mancs lose the title and get bundled out by roma next week. they have been so lucky to win so many games lately and to lose to pompey was great. i said a while ago that arbeloa against barca was great. he is looking sensational at the moment as is mascerano. we will get the title soon, i can smell it, it seems rafa wins us titles in other competitions bar the one we really want, he will deliver no matter, but im not complaining if we get a sixth come may!

I rate Guthrie, but he won't get a game for us. You're welcome to get him, although at this stage a loan is probably a more realistic option, since our kids are doing great and we'd be unlikely to sell them

I'm looking forward to seeing him play in a few hours time.

He's really impressed our supporters with his work ethic and attitude.

I couldn't see him featuring in your first team next season so a season long loan sounds like the best option.

What is the difference between 3rd and 4th?

I could be wrong but don't you enter the Champs league qualifiers a round or 2 later? Less games is always good with such a long season.

More prizemoney? Also 3rd appears marginally better for attracting quality recruits and at least you get the satisfaction of finishing above one of the big 4 (and let's face it that's the only real competition these days).

Plus who doesn't want to always finish as high as possible?

I agree also. Stocking up on Latino-based middle rung players isn't going to win Liverpool a premiership. Loose cannon Bellamy can make way for a top class finisher, in my view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could be wrong but don't you enter the Champs league qualifiers a round or 2 later? Less games is always good with such a long season.

More prizemoney? Also 3rd appears marginally better for attracting quality recruits and at least you get the satisfaction of finishing above one of the big 4 (and let's face it that's the only real competition these days).

Plus who doesn't want to always finish as high as possible?

Makes no difference regarding the Champions League - both 3rd and 4th enter at the final qualifying round. Prizemoney is about the only benefit.

I'm just interested in your thoughts on Danny Guthrie.

He's started for us in recent games and looks to be a great young talent.

However with the likelihood of your team spending up big in the off-season and with the likes of Gerrard and Alonso already well and truly ahead of him in the pecking order is there a chance he may be sold or loaned out for all of next season?

If so I'd like to put in an order. :thumbsu:

He's performed well in the games he has played this season, definitely a great young player, but as you've said, he's so far down the pecking order, he'll probably realise to make his mark in football, it wont be at Liverpool, so he will make the toughest decision of his career and leave. I'm happy for him to go to Southampton

3rd or 4th doesn't make a difference in regards to the Champions League qualifiers, it's just better to finish 3rd than 4th.

I agree on the point about letting Bellamy leave and replacing him with a top quality finisher.

I also agree with almost all the points about Rafa spending his budget on 1 or 2 World Class players who will slot straight in. We have slow starts to the season because at the start of the season, the XI is so much different to the team that ended the previous season, the players aren't sure of themselves yet. It takes them a while to get used to each others presence, and what they'll be able to do in match conditions.

Hopefully one of those World Class players he can bring in is David Villa, but I'm not holding my breath.

Makes no difference regarding the Champions League - both 3rd and 4th enter at the final qualifying round.

Ah yes, I was getting confused with last season after we were let in for winning it but had to start from the first round of qualifiers.

I want 3rd since I don't wanna be caught in a scrap for 4th with the likes of Bolton going into the end of the season

I think we're safe.

We've got a maximum of 10 games to go (6 in the EPL and 4 possibly in the Champions League)

All times UK

11th April: vs. PSV @ Anfield [19:45] (Uefa Champions League)
14th April: vs. Manchester City @ City of Manchester Stadium [15:00]
18th April: vs. Middlesbrough @ Anfield [20:00]
21st April: vs. Wigan Athletic @ Anfield [15:00]
24th or 25th April: vs. Valencia or Chelsea @ Mestalla or Stamford Bridge (Uefa Champions League)
28th April: vs. Portsmouth @ Fratton Park [15:00]
1st or 2nd May: vs. Valencia or Chelsea @ Anfield (Uefa Champions League)
05th May: vs. Fulham @ Craven Cottage [15:00]
13th May: vs. Charlton Athletic @ Anfield [15:00]

Our remaining 6 EPL games we would go into favourites to win, probably the toughest test being Pompey @ Fratton Park, I'd expect us to win at least 5 of those 6 games and be comfortable in 3rd position.

I'm not sure of the dates set for the Semi Finals of the UCL, which, barring the worst performance of the season, we will be participating in. 3 games coming up in 7 days is not the best at this time of the season, and it will be basically 2 games per week with the Semi Finals coming up aswell.

Ah yes, I was getting confused with last season after we were let in for winning it but had to start from the first round of qualifiers.

Yep, that's correct.

I'm not sure of the dates set for the Semi Finals of the UCL, which, barring the worst performance of the season, we will be participating in. 3 games coming up in 7 days is not the best at this time of the season, and it will be basically 2 games per week with the Semi Finals coming up aswell.

Semi is in two and three weeks' time.

I edited my above post and put the UCL semi finals in, I'm sure I've got the dates right, and I know we are playing the first leg away and the 2nd leg at home, which always works to our advantage.

I am very pleased about that, but of course, none of it matter if we have a massive collapse and lose against PSV

Couldnt agree more. We have enough depth, what we need is a higher top end. A couple more world class players to help out Gerrard. In front of goal is where it is needed also. David Villa would fit the bill perfectly. Sell Bellers, bring in Villa and im happy to go into next season with the same squad we have right now.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=459991&CPID=23&clid=14&lid=&title=Villa+reveals+Reds+liking

Villa reveals Reds liking
By Peter ORourke - Created on 10 Apr 2007

Valencia striker David Villa has revealed he would be interested in a move to England if the opportunity arose, with Liverpool his favourite club.

The Spanish international has been continually linked with a move to the Premiership with Chelsea and Liverpool among his suitors.

Villa is one of the most sought-after forwards in Europe after his goalscoring exploits for club and country in the last few years.

Liverpool tried to sign Villa before he joined Valencia and reports suggest they could make a new move for the skilful forward in the summer.

Villa, who says he follows Liverpool because of his friendship with Reds keeper Jose Reina, admits he would consider an offer to play in England.

"I never planned to play in England, but if an offer arrives I'll take a look at it," Villa told Zoo magazine.

"I'm a great follower of football all around the world and I watch lots of games from the Premiership.

"I don't have a favourite English team, but because of my friendships with some of their players, I follow Liverpool most. My favourite player there is my friend Pepe Reina."

Valencia are determined to keep hold of their prized asset and they inserted a buy-out clause of £85million in his contract.

Villa has admitted himself that the price tag on his head is "ludicrous".

"It seems like a ludicrous amount of money! I believe it is too much money," added Villa.

"But football is like that, so we'll have to wait and see what happens. But £70m is insane!"

At the price Chelsea would be the only realistic side capable of buying him funded by Roman Abramovich's millions and Villa is full of admiration for what the Russian billionaire has done at Stamford Bridge.

"Abramovich can spend his own money how he wants.

"He's certainly made Chelsea's fans happier! He's turned them into England's most successful club and I think that he seems like a good person."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back