The big problem with AFL - no real biffo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumpin' Jimmy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2004
Up Upwey way
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dragons,Spurs, Boston C's
AFL has become a total joke when it comes to physical contact. Melees, chest shoving, jumper punching, tummy tapping, fake diving etc. are an absolute blight on the game.

The Swans v Saints final highlighted the stupidity of where things are now at. Behind the play Barry Hall fouls Matt Maguire and gains his team an advantage which may well have changed the momentum of the game. We all witnessed the saga which went on for days after....... was it "in play", did Maguire milk it, blah blah blah.

What the crowds/viewers really want to see are the tough guys go hammer and tongs at it in a 1:1 contest. Imagine how exciting it would have been when Gehrig was switched down back onto Hall if these two monsters had been allowed to belt one another for a minute or two? Everyone says Hall might make a great boxer but we have yet to see him stand toe-to-toe with an opponent on the field. Gehrig is built and looks like a pitbull terrier.... how well might he go unleashed? The answer is ...... we dont know because our rules dont allow us to find out.

The AFL has to modify its rules to allow one-off toe-to-toe battles without threat of suspensions. In a worse case scenario the umpires should be able to put offending players in the "sinbin" for 5, 10 or 20 minutes........ otherwise blow the whistle and call play on!

I reckon it would be better if they incorporated more of the marn grook origins back into the game and allowed weapons. No joke, could you imagine a better spectacle?

Yeah great, a thread containing posts from two individuals with:
"Bring back the biff" and another with "Triple Killa OG" in their avatars.

Rad.

yes if only there were more king hits off the play on unsuspecting players like the carl webb or trent barrett incidents in the nrl this year.

I don't like how soft the game has become over the past few years, but I really don't think we should be trying top emulate league.

In fact, other than the incidents mentioned above, there's not really been any biff in league for years either. How about cleaning up your own backyard first reg?

AFL are trying to protect the image of Aussie rules so mummy's let their children play footy instead of soccer. However is there any chance of soccer or rugby taking over as Australia's #1 sport? The only way it will is by this soft approach.

I dont think the AFL has become any softer in the last 20 years at all.

20 years ago it was a lot more open. Now it still happens but its a lot more subtle and done so that the all seeing camera doesn't get a look in.

Its just a media beatup and something to fill the paper on a quiet week.

If you want to see two guys box each other, go to a boxing ring.

If they brought back the biff, AFL would totaly take over Austrlian winter sports.

Why? becuase it would be the toughest, hardest,most skillful and most exciting brand of football in the world.

Oh yeah I forgot, that was what we already had before the AFL started screwing with the game and it's rules.

From most responses so far it is clear the 3 wise monkeys are very much alive and well.
3Monkeys1.gif

I'm not advocating king hits or behind the play incidents, and dont kid yourselves they only happen in RL. Plugga's elbow or Dunkley's eye-gouging...... do they ring a bell?

All I'm saying is that when great players like Riccuito and Hall are sniping or thumping guys from behind there has to be something very wrong with the current rules/judiciary system. Much better if they are up front and toe-to-toe.

I'm all for taking the king hits out of the game, which the have. But now the game isover analised and over scrutinized. Too many people employed to do a job they don't need to and over do what little they do to justify there position.

I have four words..................

BRING BACK THE BIFF

After chatting to blokeman on his day of, Big Reg and Mal Brown they said the game has gone so soft that they are considering having a crack and I'd think each of them would be too good for the current crop.

Bring back the slab and pack of winnie reds before the game while were at it to hey fellas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

The big problem with AFL - no real biffo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back