The BigFooty Liverpool Army - Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the problems? Go on. He took over a very poor squad, somehow masterminded a Champions League triumph and steadily improved the squad year after year until the money dried up and we were making a profit in the transfer window.

The poor quality of football that was being played for one - it was downright dreadful - of course Roy has now made it look like a fusing of those famous Brazil teams with the current Barcelona team, but that's beyond the point.

The internal rumblings, the player discontent, everything had come to a head - and that was reflected on the pitch.

I'd like to see any manager of a top club work in those conditions. The season after we finished 2nd, Hicks hired a new managing director (Purslow) to take control over every decision at the club, thus ceasing any control Rafa had. New staff came in (medical team, physios, coaches etc.) and we saw the result of that by what happened last season. How does one bad season under extreme conditions cancel out 5 years of great progress?

Of course Purslow was brought in to piss off Rafa - that was obvious. He was a problem for Hicks and co. so they wanted shot of him. The only way their LBO model was going to work was by stripping the club of assets, and that was going to be a problem under Rafa.

Under Hodgson, much easier. He was prepared to be complicit in such an action. As everyone suspected

On reflection since last week, I don't think Purslow deserved as much credit as he got. The way I see it was Hicks thought he could force through his refinancing with Purslows support, despite the power Broughton and RBS had. On reflection, it seemed like Purslow swapped sides at the end. Probably explains the Hicks bitchfest about loyalty from employees.

Of course if that refinance goes through, then the asset stripping does to a new level. It was the only way they were going to make money. A normal LBO - you increase the revenue, cut the costs - then flog it on. I'm not sure why people think they can make this work in a sporting sense. Your primary revenue comes in all sorts of ways, mainly due to the players - everything is, really. But of course, your biggest costs? The players. So you can asset strip all you want, but then your revenues go down the shitter as well. Pure stupidity.

He lost the dressing room? Have you spoken to the players have you? That's why Mascherano, Lucas and Kuyt were all heavily linked with moves to Inter. That's why Torres and Reina spoke of their disappointment when Rafa left. He didn't get along with every player, but no manager does.

He lost the captain and vice-captain megaphone. That's pretty much confirmed. Gerrard and Carragher were the ones who went to Purslow and demanded Hodgson be brought in on the advice of Danny Murphy.

Whatever opinions are of those two, you can't lose the senior leaders and survive. Just doesn't happen.

Also, Barry's form with Villa at the time was brilliant. You are kidding yourself if you think it wasn't that flash.

Brilliant? Pushing it. A lot.

He was a good, consistent player at Aston Villa. But he sure as hell wasn't Xabi Alonso. Trying to hock Alonso off for the same price as buying Barry was criminal.

He's been very good for City this season too.

I haven't seen a City game recently, but all I heard early in the season was moomba complaining about how shit he'd been.

Well the people that wanted Rafa out got what they asked for and look at the result.

If you imply that people wanted Rafa out were begging on their knees for Hodgson got what the asked for, then yeah, they got what they asked for.

At the end of the day Rafa is a world class manager and a world class man and the football club is much poorer for letting him go. It's gonna be a long time before we see those magical European nights, those tactically brilliant performances against powerhouse sides like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan Manchester United and Chelsea.

I'll always appreciate what Rafa did for us, and I think he is a man who does love the club. But we'll have agree to disagree on some points I think.

Sammy Lee, hopefully follows Roy out.

Transfer Wise :

Lass, Kranjcar, Samba, Shawcross, Zielger, Honda, Cavani, Van Wolfswinkel, Shaqiri

These kind of player are the ones we should be on the chase for.

As for Roy, seems like a top bloke and a man who stands by the way he likes to manage, tried at Liverpool, failed, needs to get replaced, if he is i actually do hope we does well at his new club.

Credit to him also for taking us on the crisis with the board etc .. :thumbsu:

Of course Purslow was brought in to piss off Rafa - that was obvious. He was a problem for Hicks and co. so they wanted shot of him. The only way their LBO model was going to work was by stripping the club of assets, and that was going to be a problem under Rafa.

Exactly right, I don't think people full understood (at the time) what ridiculous circumstances Rafa had to work with.

On reflection since last week, I don't think Purslow deserved as much credit as he got.

He's a knob.

He lost the captain and vice-captain megaphone. That's pretty much confirmed. Gerrard and Carragher were the ones who went to Purslow and demanded Hodgson be brought in on the advice of Danny Murphy.

True, but again, look what's happened to the club now. I think Stevie's and Carra's standing amongst some fans has dropped somewhat as a result of what went on with Rafa last season. Tbh I've had enough of Carra, he's doing my head in. He shouldn't even be in the side.

I'll always appreciate what Rafa did for us, and I think he is a man who does love the club. But we'll have agree to disagree on some points I think.

Yep, fair enough. But their is no way Rafa deserves the blame for the situation we are in now. He made mistakes during his tenure, of course, but his time at the club will always be remembered fondly amongst the fans imo.

As for Roy, seems like a top bloke and a man who stands by the way he likes to manage, tried at Liverpool, failed, needs to get replaced, if he is i actually do hope we does well at his new club.

Credit to him also for taking us on the crisis with the board etc .. :thumbsu:

He's sounded like an utter shitbag the whole time he's been here. No respect for him whatsoever - because he shows no respect for the club or the supporters. Potentially the worst manager we've ever had.

I hope he enjoys the payoff he's been angling for, and joins his fellow mongs on Sky Sports to prattle on about how bad those dirty foreigners are.

True, but again, look what's happened to the club now. I think Stevie's and Carra's standing amongst some fans has dropped somewhat as a result of what went on with Rafa last season. Tbh I've had enough of Carra, he's doing my head in. He shouldn't even be in the side.

Carragher is a knob. He knew Hodgson was a good way to keep his place in the side. Wouldn't surprise me if Rafa told him that he was planning on phasing him out, and Carragher went and cracked the shits. I've got no time for him, frankly.

Gerrard, well at least he's picked up since last year. About the only one pulling his weight at the moment - and I think he realises the mistake that he has made in demanding the appointment of Hodgson.

Yep, fair enough. But their is no way Rafa deserves the blame for the situation we are in now. He made mistakes during his tenure, of course, but his time at the club will always be remembered fondly amongst the fans imo.

I think he deserves some blame for certain things, but clearly Hicks and Gillett were the main problems.

And yes, I think he'll always be remembered fondly. He made mistakes sometimes, but he did always fight the corner of the supporters. Something that you appreciate now with Hodgson in charge - bleating about how terrible the club is.

He's sounded like an utter shitbag the whole time he's been here. No respect for him whatsoever - because he shows no respect for the club or the supporters. Potentially the worst manager we've ever had.

I hope he enjoys the payoff he's been angling for, and joins his fellow mongs on Sky Sports to prattle on about how bad those dirty foreigners are.

Agreed his is most likely the worst manager we've had, but i still respect the man, dont know about use.

Agreed, I didn't mind Roy at Fulham, he seemed like a nice guy but since he's been here he's been disrespectful, cynical, arrogant, delusional, pessimistic and just an all-round twat.

I know Kenny is a favourite son of Liverpool and he had great success with Liverpool and then Blackburn but that was 15 years ago that he left Blackburn. Does he still have the ability to manage a club in his own right, with players far more influential than they would've been during the 80's and 90's?

Also, what is he like tactically? It would seem his obvious strength is the respect we think he would get and hopefully being someone who could bring the players together as a unit but how does he like his teams to play, what sort of players would he target if given money in a transfer window?

I appreciate everything Rafa did for us but last season it was clear he just couldn't do the job anymore. I do hope he is successful at Inter and I was enjoying him outfox Bent Arry last night.

Roy has not acted like a Liverpool manager should. We need an assertive manager who won't get bullied by other managers or the media. Roy is absolute scum IMO.

Also, what is he like tactically? It would seem his obvious strength is the respect we think he would get and hopefully being someone who could bring the players together as a unit but how does he like his teams to play, what sort of players would he target if given money in a transfer window?

I was too young to have watched Kenny's Liverpool teams, but people say his emphasis was very much on the old Liverpool way of pass and move. Also had a great ability to get the most out of players who you might not have thought could deliver the performances they did.

He's been out of a top job for a long time, but he's always been involved in football at some level, and he's a true Liverpool man. An absolute legend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we honestly believe that if Roy had been given the flick he would suck it up and still take charge against Napoli? Would have thought he'd walk out on the spot and tell them to shove it..

Do we honestly believe that if Roy had been given the flick he would suck it up and still take charge against Napoli? Would have thought he'd walk out on the spot and tell them to shove it..

£3 million says he would stick around.

Can you imagine what SAF would say if a reporter asked him if Rooney might go to Liverpool? He would castrate the reporter on the spot. Our man Roy though, as he put it - "I'm not naive".

Basically saying... 'if United make a bid for Torres, we'll certainly accept it'...

Torres wouldn't go there though, so it's not a worry.

Photos of what should be the players last session before Roy is sheffed off.

prop101020-14-liverpool_press.jpg

Window Licking Jamookjogging.

103931267ap032_liverpool_tr.jpg

Al Bundy, Cawwa, Greek God and Ngog.

103931267ap029_liverpool_tr.jpg

Aurelio alive and well (surprisingly), with Al Bundy and Spearing in the background.

103931267ap030_liverpool_tr.jpg

Kelly and Ecclestone!

103931267ap031_liverpool_tr.jpg

Skrtlol and the Greek God!

prop101020-10-liverpool_press.jpg

Pepe warming up.

prop101020-12-liverpool_press.jpg

Spearing, Poosen, Cawwa, Aurelio and Al Bundy.

Nice to see Aurelio and Kelly training. I was wishing Pepe just said "**** this im going back to Liverpool".

How sure are you that he's been giving the flick and when can we expect to hear it officially?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back