The BigFooty Liverpool Army - Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd add a keeper to that list, I reckon if we finish 6th or worse we will lose Pepe. Although with the Yids rubbish form, injuries and extra matches (CL+1 more league game) we could possibly still close down the 9 point gap (I'm assuming they win their game in hand) In the final 9 rounds. Just need to stop dropping shite points like v Blackpool, Blackburn, WBA... and the rest

I'm seriously hoping no sentimentality's gonna hold Kenny back if he's in charge next season (and he should) regarding Carra. Surely everyone can see how awful he is and needs the bullet.

Skrtel's been fine since Kenny's in charge bar the odd game, and Greek is very serviceable backup, so we really just need one centre back that isn't as injury prone as Agger and is actually relatively comfortable on the ball. Then Carra can just be 4-5th choice, whether he likes it or not

We need one more cm, since our cover atm are Poulsen and Spearing. Need one winger, and probably cover at left back.

A CB and winger are probably the most important, the rest of it are just squad depth. Atm, we can't cope with injuries, or two games in 4-5 days

I'm seriously hoping no sentimentality's gonna hold Kenny back if he's in charge next season (and he should) regarding Carra. Surely everyone can see how awful he is and needs the bullet.

carrap.jpg

34820154.jpg

If we don't buy a good CB we will struggle to finish top 4 regardless of the attacking signings we make.

Carra is only going to get worse, Skrtel is hopeless and Agger is always injured. It seems that Kyrgiakos is the only one we can have any confidence in.

Well considering that within the first few weeks of getting the job, Kenny was quoted saying how much he loved Gerrard and Carragher and how important they are to the team, the signs aren't too good. Would fully expect Carra to line up together with another CB if we brought one in next season. Can't really see it going any other way.

I still think CB is way way down the list of priorities. It's insane that people here are thinking a CB will help our attacking options more than a winger or a LB would. THEY are the number 1 and 2 priorities. No question.

Liverpool owners John W Henry and Tom Werner open talks with Kenny Dalglish over full-time contract

Liverpool's owners have opened talks with Kenny Dalglish about offering the caretaker manager the position on a permanent basis.

kenny-dalglish_1848497c.jpg

Double act: Kenny Dalglish (left), manager of Liverpool, and Steve Clarke, his assistant coach Photo: GETTY IMAGES/ Telegraph

By Rory Smith 11:00PM GMT 18 Mar 2011

John W Henry and Tom Werner, principal backers of the Fenway Sports Group consortium which owns the club, arrived on Merseyside on Thursday and, despite watching Liverpool's limp elimination from the Europa League at the hands of Braga, formally started negotiations with Dalglish on Friday over a two-year deal.

The 59 year-old, who replaced Roy Hodgson in January, is believed to want a four-year deal, but is unlikely to reject a post he has craved since calling time on his first spell at Anfield in 1991.

Dalglish has required just 14 games – of which he has lost four – to convince Henry and Werner that he is the man to whom they should entrust the task of rebuilding the club, which is testament to how quickly and efficiently he has stabilised Anfield after 18 months of chaos.

When FSG arrived at Anfield in October, buying the club for £300 million and ending the unhappy reign of Tom Hicks and George Gillett, they favoured replacing Hodgson at the end of their first campaign with a young manager, used to working under a sporting director, around whom they could build a new dynasty.

Hodgson's failure to arrest Liverpool's early-season slide led to his departure, so Dalglish was initially appointed purely to ensure the club ended the season in relative calm. The master plan remained the same.

The search for the right candidate to replace the Scot continued, with FSG examining the credentials of a number of European managers. Andre Villas-Boas, of FC Porto, Jurgen Klopp, who has guided Borussia Dortmund to the top of the Bundesliga, and Marseille's Didier Deschamps are all known to have been considered.

But, despite lingering concerns over how viable a prospect he is in the long term – as evidenced by the length of the contract on offer – it has become increasingly clear to FSG that dismissing Dalglish was simply not an option.

The Scot has overseen victories over both Manchester United and Chelsea, while Liverpool's form has been such that a top-six finish seems guaranteed, though the vagaries of the FA Cup draw means that they may miss out on a place in Europe for the first time in more than a decade.

FSG had hoped to wait for as long as possible before confirming Dalglish's appointment – as well as that of his first-team coach, Steve Clarke – but Henry and Werner recognise the need to act quickly if they are to rebuild the playing squad this summer.

After overseeing the recruitment of Luis Suárez and Andy Carroll on transfer deadline day – effectively spending the money raised by the sales of Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel – FSG are expected to sanction a substantial foray into the transfer market this summer.

That will be shaped by Dalglish's wishes, though he will have to work alongside director of football strategy Damien Comolli as he looks to reshape his squad with as many as six new faces.

The Frenchman, appointed to oversee recruitment, will need to live up to the reputation that brought him to Anfield if he is to attract top-class talent to a team who may not be able even to offer the enticement of European football.

However, goalkeeper Pepe Reina is yet to admit defeat in the chase to return to continental combat, which used to be regarded as routine at Anfield.

"There are still nine games to play and we still have a chance of getting that fifth position," said the Spaniard.

"There's no doubt it's difficult with no Europe, because we are so used to watching Liverpool in midweek and those European nights at Anfield are really famous."

I have solution for our CB problem.

1. Buy Subotic for 16m from Dortmund
2. Let Dortmund figure out they need a CB
3. Sell Srktel to Dortmund for 11m
4. Profit

It could happen... I mean that's what I did in FIFA.

I'd get a nap in around 11, getting up at 12:30 to watch, evaluate the first half and decide on the 2nd half.

Just me, but I'll be watching, because it's not Ropa Leeg and Suarez can play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game isn't very important for us as we've pretty much missed top 5 but I'm more excited than our Europa game.

That's how bad Europa is.

Will be certainly worth a watch IMO, goals look a certainty.

Really hope Carroll doesn't start, Suarez or Carroll I'd be confident in the Rapus Bramble/Mensah combination to shut them down, but adding Carroll into the mix would really throw the cat amongst the pigeons, the set-piece defending will be laughable.

Likely to either be an extra defensive mid in Spearing/Poulsen or one of Cole/Maxi will start. Not exactly a great choice there.

:D

Never gets old.

Go. Away. Joe. Cole.

Reina
Carra Skrtel Kerry Johnson
Meireles Lucas Poosen Maxi
Kuyt Suarez

Keep in mind, Meireles wont play a lot on the right, it'll be very similar to his role against Man Utd, doing whatever he wants.

We'll still finish 4th.

LOLSpurs are LOLSpurs and Citeh will beat Chelski.

With Spuds slipping up overnight and if we can keep winning it's not out of the realms of possibility seeing as they have the Champs league to concentrate on as well.

Key fixtures for us still remaining however are City at home, Arsenal away and Spuds at home so we've got a tough ask.

The Reds XI in full is: Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Skrtel, Spearing, Lucas, Meireles, Suarez, Kuyt, Carroll. Subs: Gulacsi, Kyrgiakos, Wilson, Cole, Maxi, Poulsen, Ngog.

Reina
Carra Skrtel Agger Johnson
Spearing Lucas
Kuyt Meireles Suarez
Carroll

The Reds XI in full is: Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Skrtel, Spearing, Lucas, Meireles, Suarez, Kuyt, Carroll. Subs: Gulacsi, Kyrgiakos, Wilson, Cole, Maxi, Poulsen, Ngog.

Reina
Carra Skrtel Agger Johnson
Spearing Lucas
Kuyt Meireles Suarez
Carroll
I like it, it's the best possible lineup with the players available. You could make a case for Maxi in for Spearing but I prefer Meireles playing further up the ptich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back