The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More on that Ings thing, he scored 11 goals for a relegated team in 3000 minutes. Firmino scored 10 last season in two third of that.

I dunno why people don't see Firmino as primarily a striker because he is.

I find it funny when people say Liverpool have too many attacking midfielders that are exactly the same, when in reality they're all completely different players who offer entirely different skill sets. Coutinho's a creator, Mane's a finisher, Firmino's a bit of both but is most comfortable making runs behind the lines and getting on the end of passes, not to mention about 4 inches taller than the others - the only similarity between he and Coutinho is the fact that they're both Brazilian and have similar sounding names. To pigeonhole them as the same player is something I've always found bizarre.

Last edited:
Big first 5 weeks starting tomorrow night. Losing this game wouldn't be the end of the world but we have a tricky start and it'd be a big boost to the confidence of the players if we could get 2 or 3 wins from Arsenal (a), Tottenham (a), Chelsea (a) & Leicester (h). After that the fixture clears up for us but I'd much rather we were level with our rivals by the end of that run and using the next month or 2 of games to open up a gap rather than trying to claw back points and close one. Given Arsenal's depleted squad this is one fixture I look at as a real opportunity to strike an early blow in the title/top 4 race.

Big first 5 weeks starting tomorrow night. Losing this game wouldn't be the end of the world but we have a tricky start and it'd be a big boost to the confidence of the players if we could get 2 or 3 wins from Arsenal (a), Tottenham (a), Chelsea (a) & Leicester (h). After that the fixture clears up for us but I'd much rather we were level with our rivals by the end of that run and using the next month or 2 of games to open up a gap rather than trying to claw back points and close one. Given Arsenal's depleted squad this is one fixture I look at as a real opportunity to strike an early blow in the title/top 4 race.

Looking at the first 4 fixtures with 3 away my belief is 7 points or more is a great result for us to build on.

I wonder if people would be so keen to defend Ings over Firmino if he wasn't a free. Considering we're paying top wages for him (free doesn't mean free) and we had to pay 5m compensation, his "transfer fee" at my estimate comes to around 12-13m. He's scored about 13 PL goals in his career and came from a relegated club.

Reckon he's got some good tools but there is no way he starts ahead of Firmino at #9. Happy to say if Firmino wasn't making an impact that Ings can be an option late in the piece but that's about as far as it gets.

Even the English teams in Europe don't have more than 3 out and out strikers.

Maybe it's me misreading it or literally forgetting what I've read over the past couple of hours ITT but I get the vibe that people don't like Firmino leading the line or don't see him as a legit option?

Anyway, we've got three better options. Even teams in Europe don't have more than 3 strikers. He's not going to get a look in and it would be best for all parties if he got game time elsewhere, hopefully that would be on loan.

I wonder if people would be so keen to defend Ings over Firmino if he wasn't a free. Considering we're paying top wages for him (free doesn't mean free) and we had to pay 5m compensation, his "transfer fee" at my estimate comes to around 12-13m. He's scored about 13 PL goals in his career and came from a relegated club.

Reckon he's got some good tools but there is no way he starts ahead of Firmino at #9. Happy to say if Firmino wasn't making an impact that Ings can be an option late in the piece but that's about as far as it gets.

Even the English teams in Europe don't have more than 3 out and out strikers.

Dylan are you arguing with the invisible man here? I haven't heard anyone have Ings ahead of Firmino.

Anything to take your mind off Port's kicking efficiency right now...

Edit: don't mind me I get it now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Ings is definitely needed.

Firmino can lead the line in a 4-3-3 as a false 9, he plays that role incredibly well and I think Bobby will lead the line in most tough away fixtures in a 4-3-3 but at home I think we might see more 4-2-3-1 with Sturridge up top and Phil, Bob and Mane in behind.

Origi is a weapon on the bench in any formation with his finishing and ability to get in behind.

I think Ings will start cup games but also be an option from the bench in league fixtures also. He has a different set of skills than either Sturridge or Origi. He presses far more, is much more a nuisance than those two but lacks the pace or Origi and the skills of Sturridge.

So they will all bring something different, including Firm as a false 9 able to lead the line.

For what it's worth, I think Origi and Ings will be on the bench tomorrow and Firmino will lead the line as a false 9 in a 4-3-3.

I dunno, Hull shows that no game's an easy ride

Would be interesting to see how it goes, both Arsenal and us like possession, but they're probably better at the counterattack than us (coz Wenger's drilled them that way for 20 years) atm, and we're most vulnerable when teams counter us.

I am reasonably confident if we sit back and counter them back coz that's the easiest way to beat Arsenal, we'll see how Jurg sets the team up

Tries to watch the Leicester game. I say tried because Optus is ******* shit and kept ******* freezing every two minutes:mad: may have to go out to watch our game

Yeah, optus will need to improve a lot with the quality of the feed for me to pay for it next season. Lucky it's free this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back