The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gerrard has just hung Mario out to dry on tv which the media are going to have a field day with. No chance this story just blows over tonight.

Really poor from Gerrard IMO.
Didnt Gerrard say "Mario has been mischievous"

If that was all that was said, I dont think that is exactly leaving him out to dry.

Hendo: "I wanted the penalty but Mario felt confident."

Stevie: "If I was on the pitch I would have taken it. Jordan Henderson should have taken it. Mario has been mischievous."

what the fk. ok if decision was made in house amongst the lads, but prefer if it was kept inside the house.

In all fairness, Henderson was supposed to take the penalty, assigned by the manager.
Sturridge wasn't whinging about not the one taking the pen himself, he argued with Balo that Henderson was suppose to take it.

i agree with everyone, hendo and pens, set pieces, corners do not compute.

with this sort of stuff, it essentially implies a lack of leadership. gerrard then no one else.

I think the penalty is more about Gerrard and Henderson probably feeling like Balotelli shouldn't just "waltz in" and become that guy... but it's Mario ****ing Balotelli.. I loved the way he handled it, cooler than the Fonz. His game was great when he came on, looked like a Liverpool player. Hope he just gets better and better.

If Henderson is going to become Captain he needs to understand his place. Doesn't matter if you're Captain, you can't take penalties yet lad, give it to Mario ****ing Balotelli to put away. Not all of Stevie's duties come with the armband.

Didnt Gerrard say "Mario has been mischievous"

If that was all that was said, I dont think that is exactly leaving him out to dry.
Probably not but knowing how the media work at the best of times let alone with Balotelli means he probably shouldn't have said anything.

Ibe got Man of the Match! Really happy with his improvement in the past 8 months.

His pre-season was great, was vital for Derby during his loan spell, Turning into a gem of a player very quickly.

Watched the match! Happy to get the win .. they tried to make it ugly and almost got us on the counter a few times.

Jordan Ibe man of the match.

They will be missing there right back and centre back in the return match due to suspension. Happy for Mario taking the penalty .. fair enough he may went against the team rules but seriously when Gerrard is not on the pitch Balotelli is the best spot kick taker, so the management need to get that right in there pre-match team talks.

No offence to Hendo but what is his record from the spot? I'd turn away and not watch .. might've send it three rows up and sending us to Turkey nil-nil??!?

Spot kick takers in order should be:
1.) Gerrard
2.) Balotelli
3.) Lambert
4.) Sturridge
5.) Maybe Hendo/Can

haha apparently Stevie said this when we got Balo in August

B-PczV9IQAAa0bA.jpg

To get past the whole penalty stuff, on the actual match I thought we were ok at best. We werent in absolute top form but I think you have to credit Besiktas for making it difficult, staying compact and organised. From everything ive read, they are very good defensively, having let in just 12 goals all season or something like that.

So to go away with a lead is good. Means they will have to come out from the back and attack as they need to win. That will give us plenty of room on the counter and with Sturridge, Sterling and Ibe using their pace, we could get that key away goal.

MOTM was Ibe again. It's amazing how quickly he has become a super important cog in the team. Just a super young player. Always seems to be in control of the ball, even when traveling at high speeds. Has end product too, always seems to get decent delivery into the box. Will only get better and better.

Can, Ibe, Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic, Moreno... the future is so bright we all gotta wear shades.

It's either good captaining or bad.

Bad if you think he was weak and let Mario walk all over him to take the pen.

Or good if you think he recognises what is best for the team and gives up personal glory for the betterment of the team.
It's bad captaining. The fact that they're complaining to the media, means that it wasn't Henderson who gracefully let Balotelli take the penalty.

I still disagree with anyone who says Balotelli is in the right. It seems to be an unpopular opinion but the captain is the captain.

And on top of the fact that their complaints weren't kept in house screams even more bad captaining

Update on our current form over the last few months please. What are we up to now, 40 games undefeated (f*ck Chelsea)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just my 2 bob. Balo has an excellent penalty record. Yes he has only been at the club 5 minutes but we can't afford to experiment to find out who should be next in line when big Mario is proven. It is also good for his confidence and to feel like he belongs. I love Sturridge with a passion and he is our main man up front but is about the team not egos

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Ibe can be better than Sterling?

Sterling is the more intelligent footballer and will be the better creator, Ibe will be the better finisher of the 2. Personally I think Sterling will end up the better player but Ibe looks capable of giving him a run for his money. Very happy to have both of them though.

Ibe has a super high ceiling but we havent seen the best of Sterling yet either. Sterling is far more polished at this stage, really intelligent with his runs and positioning. Ibe is obviously very raw. All pace and power at this stage.

Too early to call but obviously Sterling is out in front.

So happy both play for us.

Oh and Can will be better than both :D

The fact of the matter is this is about results. Balotelli has a proven penalty record from the spot and when Gerrard is not on the pitch, he should be first-choice to take the penalties. Whether Hendo is captain or not is irrelevant. It's about results and Ballotelli will get the job done from the spot.

As for Gerrard, extremely poor form for him to comment publically in such a manner about a player of the club that he plays at. These things should be addressed behind close doors and not aired in the public domain. Media is going to have a field day with this. Gerrard should have stayed silent and given a non-committal answer. Hopefully it was just misguided from Gerrard due to inexperience with the media and he was put on the spot.

As for the game, thought we were okay in patches but didn't look all that dangerous going forward until Balotelli came on. We were a little shaky at the back with some of those back-passes. Ibe MoM, absolutely embarrassed Besikta's fullback. Glad to have an advantage going into Istanbul.

Apparently Henderson has taken 1 in his career which was in a Shootout for sunderland vs Villa in a cup game in 2009 which he missed. Not sure if this is true but read it on twitter somewhere. If this is the case how is he even considered ahead of Balotelli who has a near perfect record and is one of if not the best penalty takers in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back