The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think another thing worth mentioning is that Liverpool did play with a different plan last night. Klopp rarely ever did that.

Slot clearly instructed the players to defend deeper last night and they did. This has three implications; 1/ it made it hard for Palmer and Co., and 2/ it creates space for Liverpool to counter and 3/ it saves energy - which is critical in a stupidly long season.

Klopp mostly would tackle a low block with pressing harder, which created more space at the back for the opposition to exploit and resulted in the opposition block getting deeper and deeper, making it harder and harder for Liverpool to score.

Klopp's changes were almost always substitutions and maybe small tactical changes. Slot seems to be willing to make much broader tactical changes.

I will always believe Real Madrid won that last CL final against Liverpool because Ancelotti exploited Klopp's inflexibility. He knew Liverpool hated a low block, and he knew Liverpool would eventually overcommit enough to create the one goal they needed to win.

I think another thing worth mentioning is that Liverpool did play with a different plan last night. Klopp rarely ever did that.

Slot clearly instructed the players to defend deeper last night and they did. This has three implications; 1/ it made it hard for Palmer and Co., and 2/ it creates space for Liverpool to counter and 3/ it saves energy - which is critical in a stupidly long season.

Klopp mostly would tackle a low block with pressing harder, which created more space at the back for the opposition to exploit and resulted in the opposition block getting deeper and deeper, making it harder and harder for Liverpool to score.

Klopp's changes were almost always substitutions and maybe small tactical changes. Slot seems to be willing to make much broader tactical changes.

I will always believe Real Madrid won that last CL final against Liverpool because Ancelotti exploited Klopp's inflexibility. He knew Liverpool hated a low block, and he knew Liverpool would eventually overcommit enough to create the one goal they needed to win.

It's why this "Klopp will coach Germany" talk is rubbish: national coaches need to be pragmatic. Klopp is just not.

Palmer probably the best player through the first seven EPL matchdays, completely neutered by Liverpool's tactics. Winning when not at our best either. A big Slot tick this morning.

My only problem is that we can't hold onto the ball and dominate possession consistently enough, and our press isn't working too well. Other than that, can't fault our defense and ability to grind out results. We seem much more comfortable playing without the ball
That is maybe to be expected though. One of the flip sides of not pressing as high is that there is less space in your own half. This means there is less space to aimlessly knock it around which will show up in possession. And conversely the opposition have more space to aimlessly knock it around.

Possession is one of the more overrated stats IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back