Roast The Brownlow has no credibility left

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw a tweet somewhere an hour or two ago saying this Brownlow had the least amount of total players to poll a vote since 1986.

Which makes sense as the years go on and the mids hoover up more and more of the votes. Unless you're a Sheezel or a Daicos type off half back good f*cking luck getting any kind of Brownlow recognition.

Saw a tweet somewhere an hour or two ago saying this Brownlow had the least amount of total players to poll a vote since 1986.

Which makes sense as the years go on and the mids hoover up more and more of the votes. Unless you're a Sheezel or a Daicos type off half back good f*cking luck getting any kind of Brownlow recognition.

spoils, shepparding and metres gained aren't in the stats so the umpires couldnt care. Guy gets 30 touches and 2 goals - 3 votes even if 25 of his touches were clangers.

Have no real problem with Cripps winning, but some of the games he and Daicos polled in were nuts.

I think the problem is the sheer amount of votes. Cripps, Daicos and Neale were the 3 faves, so no surprise if Cripps won. But 45 votes is ridiculous. He got 3 votes in 12 games if I'm correct? so half of Carlton's games he's BOG and they only won 13 games LOL.

All 3 major awards are flawed. The Brownlow is dominated by midfielders because umpires spend most of their time up close at with the midfielders at contests, centre bounces, stoppages. The Players Award is voted by the players when many admit they don't watch footy outside their own matches and the Coaches award is flawed as coaches will not be unbiased.

The Brownlow should stay as an umpires award but maybe have extra 2 umpires on a rotation basis who watch the game but not umpire(they'll have a different perspective) then those 5 umpires get together after the game to decide the votes.

You can tell its become a farce when Carlton won a little over 50% of their games yet Cripps managed to average a touch under 2 votes per game for the entire season.
Leigh Matthews said Dusty's record setting 36 vote 2017 season was the best by an individual of all time.

Are we really to believe the season Cripps just had is worthy of not only 2 votes per game, but 25% better than the greatest of all time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jon Ralph stated that the Umpires are asking the AFL to use stats to rule out howlers, & been asking for the past 2 years but the AFL won't let them have it...

Shows you everything you need to know about the AFL. Shady & Corrupt. so, they can change things...

Last edited:

This is just being reflected in the modern game, the top 5 players at any club are doing the bulk of the hurt, the rest are just foot soldiers, it makes sense that only the top 5 are polling votes.

You can tell its become a farce when Carlton won a little over 50% of their games yet Cripps managed to average a touch under 2 votes per game for the entire season.
Leigh Matthews said Dusty's record setting 36 vote 2017 season was the best by an individual of all time.

Are we really to believe the season Cripps just had is worthy of not only 2 votes per game, but 25% better than the greatest of all time?

Exactly this.

Okay, I won't go next year.

I'll bet next year the corrupt umpires will fix it. They'll be spoken to by the AFL about this year and next year's highest votes getter will be no more than about 25 votes.

I remember the year Judd won it, and people questioned the integrity of the voting because Judd didn't even feature as a favorite, but Swan had one of the greatest season's a player could have. Then lo and behold.. next year Swan has a worse season than the previous but gets the most votes of all time. The good old umpires correcting their mistakes.

My issue with the Brownlow is more that if the best mid in the league also has 3 or 4 other really good players in their team, then they have basically no chance of winning it.

Its a weird award, it’s more like “who is head and shoulders above the rest of their team” (or in reality more memorable than the rest of their team)

My issue with the Brownlow is more that if the best mid in the league also has 3 or 4 other really good players in their team, then they have basically no chance of winning it.

Its a weird award, it’s more like “who is head and shoulders above the rest of their team” (or in reality more memorable than the rest of their team)
It's a team sport. What do you want?

Whilst 45 votes is silly - this years Brownlow played out like most other Brownlows.

Standout midfielder in middling team dominates teams voting and wins.

View attachment 2120062
It is how Crawford won it, Woewodin, Fyfe, Neale (maybe better than middling), Cooney, Mitchel, Danger, Priddis, Cotchin, Judd.

Stand out player in a middling team is the formula to win.

Dogs were a top four team when Cooney won. Made a prelim. Midfield was their strongest part of the team. Feel like a few of those went deep into finals actually.

I've always held the opinion that the AFL should send 2 or 3 people to every game whether it be retired players, coaches or 1 of each and have them confer with the onfield umpires after the game for example R1 2025 Hawthorn Vs Essendon AFL sends Adam Simpson & Gary Rohan to the game and after the game Adam Simpson states that he thinks Finn Mcguiness was best because he held Merrett to only 12 possessions. Gary Rohan stats he thinks Kyle Langford was his best because he restricted Sicilys importance to Hawthorn and kicked 3 goals. Then the Umpires are to watch a replay of the game with Simpson and Rohan with all the stats therefore being more able to make a more informed decision on the 3-2-1 votes for the brownlow medal.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast The Brownlow has no credibility left

Remove this Banner Ad

Back