Roast The Brownlow has no credibility left

Remove this Banner Ad

imagine running up and down an oval for 2 hours, constantly stopping to stare at guys' feet to make sure they don't take even the slightest step off the mark, honing your mind-reading powers to judge "intent," juggling the 3 new rule interpretations the officials drummed into you during the week, trying to make sure you don't botch the bounces and throws too badly, constantly mentally steeling yourself against the 20-30k rabid flogs screaming insults at you, and then being asked who played well. you wouldn't know! you'd just default to the big name who you saw marching it out of your stoppages. why do they still make the umpires vote on it?

Like, it's not a slight or an insult or taking anything away from them. This isn't a suburban league anymore, they can employ full time officials who can focus on who's playing well and assign votes for the league B&F. It doesn't have to be the umpires medal, I think it's honestly unfair to put that extra strain on them. 45 votes for Cripps is beyond ridiculous but honestly 38 for Daicos is too, getting 30 votes used to be a crazy blowout and it's not like the league was just way more even 10-20 years ago. These are the numbers you get when the umpire isn't sure who to give votes to so they just pick the most obvious players that get the most media attention.
Agree
I umpire and I hate doing votes
Rather focus on what I’m doing and get better at it
It’s just a distraction and should be adjudicated by someone who is looking solely for the best players

Only way of fixing this is industrial action. Key backs such as AA weitering with zero votes to go on strike and refuse to tackle or spoil. The lazy arsed mid fielders who get all the glory should run both ways and do this work.

CEO’s wife said Bont wasn’t in the mix. He drifted in the market after that, and, polled accordingly. Box ain’t locked. It leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They know ahead of time who's going to win. They do stuff like "accidentally" put Nick Daicos Brownlow merch up to attract betting money for their partners.

Agree, entirely.

When Carey didn't win it in 1993, 1994, 1995, 1998 & 1999 it succumbed to bullshit.

Carey was injured in 1997, and Grant was wonderful so i'm not going to argue that one. Corey McKernan was your man in 1996, he even knocked Carey out of Number 1 place in Sheehans Top 50 - you do that, you deserve the Brownlow FFS

I mean you could argue Carey was the best player, but at the same time;

1994 - Diesel Williams
1995 - Paul Kelly
1996 - Voss & Hird
1997/98 - Harvey
1999 - Crawford

all had amazing seasons in those years, on top on multiple elite years

Elite killer season players who also didn't win in this 1993-99 period; Dunstall (100+ goals x3), Locket (100+ goals x3), Ablett (100+ goals x3), Modra (100+ goals x 1), Jackovich, Matera, Kemp, Jarman, Mcleod, Hocking, Bairstow, Silvagni, Ratten, Kernahan, and yes McKernan in 1996 and Grant in 1997 especially.

End of day it was mostly a midfielder's medal in the 80s/90s, and it has been totally one since then with the added unfortunate flavor of umpires being consciously/subconsciously influenced by group think, social media, and the mainstream media darlings.

CEO’s wife said Bont wasn’t in the mix. He drifted in the market after that, and, polled accordingly. Box ain’t locked. It leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's locked, but it has more holes than a wheel of Swiss cheese.

Would we have been happier if bung average players like Dipper, Woewodin, Hardie, Libratore & Couch won it on 20 votes instead of the stars of the day.. These would be the equivalent of someone like McClugage, Hayden Young, George Hewett etc winning it.

Would we have been happier if bung average players like Dipper, Woewodin, Hardie, Libratore & Couch won it on 20 votes instead of the stars of the day.. These would be the equivalent of someone like McClugage, Hayden Young, George Hewett etc winning it.

Why do Carlton fans keep going on line anyone has a problem with Cripps winning? 99% of people are saying that he deserved it and is a worthy winning.

Arguing against yourselves.

I mean you could argue Carey was the best player, but at the same time;

1994 - Diesel Williams
1995 - Paul Kelly
1996 - Voss & Hird
1997/98 - Harvey
1999 - Crawford

all had amazing seasons in those years, on top on multiple elite years

Elite killer season players who also didn't win in this 1993-99 period; Dunstall (100+ goals x3), Locket (100+ goals x3), Ablett (100+ goals x3), Modra (100+ goals x 1), Jackovich, Matera, Kemp, Jarman, Mcleod, Hocking, Bairstow, Silvagni, Ratten, Kernahan, and yes McKernan in 1996 and Grant in 1997 especially.

End of day it was mostly a midfielder's medal in the 80s/90s, and it has been totally one since then with the added unfortunate flavor of umpires being consciously/subconsciously influenced by group think, social media, and the mainstream media darlings.

Dunstall kicked 139 goals in the H & A season in 1992. 14 times he kicked 6+.

In an year when 20 votes won it, he got votes in 7 games.

He kicked 12 goals in a game and got 2 votes.

So as I and many others have said, the Brownlow has been a joke for a very, very long time.

Why do Carlton fans keep going on line anyone has a problem with Cripps winning? 99% of people are saying that he deserved it and is a worthy winning.

Arguing against yourselves.

Individual awards are all they are any good for so they get very defensive.

Round 22 Sydney vs Collingwood...

Nick Daicos:
25 Disposals @ 52% efficiency, 4 tackles, 230 metres gained, 0 goals, 3 score involvements - 2 Brownlow Votes
Chad Warner:
33 Disposals @ 76% efficiency, 3 tackles, 490 metres gained, 2 goals, 8 score involvements - 0 Brownlow Votes

It's a popularity contest.
You are looking at the wrong stats if you want a guide to who will get brownlow votes.

They dont care about tackles, disposal efficiency or metres gained.

Umpires notice blokes who win it at contest, and especially those who can get it in the clear, contested possessions and clearances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast The Brownlow has no credibility left

Remove this Banner Ad

Back