Roast The Brownlow has no credibility left

Remove this Banner Ad

45 votes was higher than expected but people who analysed their years properly knew Cripps was a massive chance of breaking the record and Daicos would be close on his tail.

Don't know why everyone's crying about someone getting a high vote tally

Have former head coaches and line coaches vote each week. Can include state league head coaches.

3 coaches assigned to each game at random, each week. Can watch more than one game.

Rotate who they vote with, so not the same 3 watching the same match together each week.

Can’t be assigned to a club they coached.

Given a commentary free stream to watch to avoid bias (and just for pure humanitarian reasons).

Best system to avoid bias, and to judge players based on game impact.
100%

45 votes was higher than expected but people who analysed their years properly knew Cripps was a massive chance of breaking the record and Daicos would be close on his tail.

Don't know why everyone's crying about someone getting a high vote tally
Higher than expected? Wow. It was astronomically higher.

The issue is Daicos polling in games where he was BOG average. Bontempelli hardly getting near it.

The whole system of voting has to change. The umpires have NO IDEA.

The umps only pay attention to the established stars or they don't have a good feel for who played great so fall back on giving votes to the stars. Warner being overlooked this year has been noticed, watch him start polling more regularly from next year. Once you get on the radar, you stay on the radar.

Very true. In 2014 Jordan Lewis was listed as a smoky half way through the season.

Brownlow nigjt he had a couple of votes until half way through the season when he started getting more votes.

Once the media pointed him out they started looking.

Not sure why they refuse to pay attention to Bont. Been a star for 10 years and is highly recognisable. Even managed to kick 32 goals.

Higher than expected? Wow. It was astronomically higher.

The issue is Daicos polling in games where he was BOG average. Bontempelli hardly getting near it.

The whole system of voting has to change. The umpires have NO IDEA.
I had Cripps down for 35-41 votes on the night and wrote dozens of times he'd break the record well before a vote had been read.

He had a fantastic year where he played well in wins and losses, but especially well in quite a few losses.
Curnow, McKay and Walsh all had ordinary years by their standards, Cerra didn't play barely at all... There was nobody stealing votes all year.

Most of our losses were by small margins which meant umps were more likely to give votes to both winning and losing team players.

It was pretty easy to see it was going to happen. The only one that was bemusing was the Essendon game, but even then most watchers debated quite heavily who was in the BOGs as there really weren't any standouts. Umps couldn't decide so clearly went the old trusty knowing he'd be in the mix.

A few games here and there he should have got 1 or 2 but got 3 instead.

45 didn't shock me at all even if it was a bit higher than I thought he'd go.

I had Cripps down for 35-41 votes on the night and wrote dozens of times he'd break the record well before a vote had been read.

He had a fantastic year where he played well in wins and losses, but especially well in quite a few losses.
Curnow, McKay and Walsh all had ordinary years by their standards, Cerra didn't play barely at all... There was nobody stealing votes all year.

Most of our losses were by small margins which meant umps were more likely to give votes to both winning and losing team players.

It was pretty easy to see it was going to happen. The only one that was bemusing was the Essendon game, but even then most watchers debated quite heavily who was in the BOGs as there really weren't any standouts. Umps couldn't decide so clearly went the old trusty knowing he'd be in the mix.

A few games here and there he should have got 1 or 2 but got 3 instead.

45 didn't shock me at all even if it was a bit higher than I thought he'd go.
The sooking is ridiculous.

Many people do predictions now, all I have seen had Crippa and Daicos in the top few.

That is how it played out.

Every year there are some players who poll above and below the "expert predictions".

This year Cripps, Treloar, Tom Green, M.Rowell and Butters are players who polled above expectations.

Bont, Neale, N.Anderson, Merrett and J.Daicos are players who polled below expectations.

Not sure if already discussed but the Demons v Cats game at MCG. Petty got 3 votes with 13 possessions and… one goal. WTF. Did the umpires mistake someone else for him? There were at least 10 players who were significantly better.

Neale against giants 3 votes is beyond crazy.

JHF 3 votes against Geelong is just mind boggling
I think the umpire sees a player like JHF do one thing that is memorable and that stays in their mind when it comes time to vote. It’s a joke they can’t check statistics before voting (?)

Not sure if already discussed but the Demons v Cats game at MCG. Petty got 3 votes with 13 possessions and… one goal. WTF. Did the umpires mistake someone else for him? There were at least 10 players who were significantly better.
Thought Petty had a good game and was influential (nine marks, IIRC), but not in our top five on the day.

The sooking is ridiculous.

Many people do predictions now, all I have seen had Crippa and Daicos in the top few.

That is how it played out.

Every year there are some players who poll above and below the "expert predictions".

This year Cripps, Treloar, Tom Green, M.Rowell and Butters are players who polled above expectations.

Bont, Neale, N.Anderson, Merrett and J.Daicos are players who polled below expectations.
Well done to Cripps but the funny thing is Bont was actually better than him this season. When the two played Bont beat him and had a great season. It’s just the thing with Brownlow, Bont got 10 coaches vote in Round 2 both Bevo and Dimma knew he was BOG yet got zero votes from umpires? Thought Daicos was the best player of the season so not trying to sound like sour grapes but Bont has other midfielders that take his votes, Cripps has none and it’s a midfield medal now.

Not sure if already discussed but the Demons v Cats game at MCG. Petty got 3 votes with 13 possessions and… one goal. WTF. Did the umpires mistake someone else for him? There were at
east 10 players who were significantly better.

This is why umpires having access to the stats will assist them in awarding the votes to the best players, not them thinking "did he play well?" Etc

Thought Petty had a good game and was influential (nine marks, IIRC), but not in our top five on the day.

I thought he had a very good game , his overhead contested marking was 1st class , im pretty sure he was playing at CHF , and he just took towering marks one after the other , thus can understand how that stood out to the umpires .

Well done to Cripps but the funny thing is Bont was actually better than him this season. When the two played Bont beat him and had a great season. It’s just the thing with Brownlow, Bont got 10 coaches vote in Round 2 both Bevo and Dimma knew he was BOG yet got zero votes from umpires? Thought Daicos was the best player of the season so not trying to sound like sour grapes but Bont has other midfielders that take his votes, Cripps has none and it’s a midfield medal now.
Cripps got 6 coaches votes vs the Dogs and was pretty clearly the better of the two on the day. Not sure how uve come up with that?

And while Bont is a superstar, thought Cripps had a more consistent season. The lack of players stealing votes for him were a pretty huge factor on the night though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Salty 🧂
Cripps not in the top 10 midfielders…

Cripps received 15 more vote than your entire team…
It’s not salty at all it’s an argument we had for thousands of pages on the eagles board with priddis - who won a Brownlow and was runner up.

When your midfield is based around a treacle slow mid in the modern game. You won’t win a flag. Especially on the g. We won the year after priddis retired and we were predicted to be bottom 8 and as low as wooden spooners.

If we played footy like the us with an offensive team and a completely separate defensive team he’d be close to my first picked. Defo top three.

I really Cripps and love watching him monster his way forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast The Brownlow has no credibility left

Remove this Banner Ad

Back