The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

So is it widely accepted but not often acknowledged? Because I can't say I've ever seen a Western Bulldogs umpires-related thread that doesn't feature a large portion of Sydney fans putting the loss solely on the umpires. I realize it's unfair to pin-point Sydney supporters here as all supporters seem to do it but I genuinely only care about the opinions of two teams' supporters on that particular day.

I'm also not stupid. Clearly, the umpiring wasn't up to standard. I don't personally think there was enough of a break away from the standard to decide the game but it certainly wasn't perfect.
I think the most widely-held view of Swans fans is that the result of the match could have been changed by not playing underdone players/having more contributors, or officiating that was perceived to be more balanced, or both.

I would agree that stating that the umpiring was the only reason we lost is a narrow view, but I think the view of most Swans fans is that despite poor selection calls, umpiring that they perceived to be more fair would have been enough to tip the balance in our favour, so those selection calls aren't necessarily relevant to threads regarding the umpiring. Not trying to speak for all Swans fans, just how I've read the situation from topics on our own, and on the main board, on the game.

Last edited:
Footy fans that talk about a lopsided free kick count or poor umpiring as evidence of favoritism to a team should be banned from talking about footy.

My favourite recent one was that Bombers players were demoralised by a few decisions that went against them and that caused them to forget score goals and subsequently lose the game.

The suggestion that a member of an elite sporting organisation at the highest level of his sport, is so mentally weak that a couple of bad decisions can make him give up in an elimination final and throw away an entire season's worth of effort, well, jesus, how do you even respond to that. I'm still thinking about it over a week later.

I bet you’re enjoying Rohans finals form continue on still… 😀
Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke, it would seem, given everything that went down with him and his ex-wife last year.

It's called trying to be first to the ball. He doesn't need frees. The minute he goes low to gather the ball anything an opponent does to try to stop him is likely to be illegal. Plus he's short. It's a hopeless position for any tall opponent to be in.

View attachment 1228572

Cody's got the possession. The idiot tackler isn't even looking what he's doing. Cody's shoulder didn't send the arm up, that's where it landed.

There's incidents where he's run in and thrown his head back before or simultaneous to winning possession.

And no, I don't have every Dogs game to hand timestamped to every incident.

Footy fans that talk about a lopsided free kick count or poor umpiring as evidence of favoritism to a team should be banned from talking about footy.

For example Richmond prefer to give away a free kick away then allowing the opposition players to play on. This allowed more time to set up behind the ball.

Yep, I've referred to that repeatedly on this thread.

There's incidents where he's run in and thrown his head back before or simultaneous to winning possession.

And no, I don't have every Dogs game to hand timestamped to every incident.
No there isn’t

Cody Weightman and Toby McLean were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and the baby looked at me

I thought it was the Atkins brothers who were into that down your way.

I wonder if Stevic will umpire their next 2 games and gift them the flag?

A side note: they reportedly drop Williamson (the only competent performing umpire in this match) from a final next week. What a joke.
Who said Williamson was the only competent umpire in the match?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate I feel for you, you’ve made a genuine and honest attempt to be balanced/fair/insightful there’s just no reasoning with them, the cognitive dissonance is far too strong

Yeah, a few have had an attempt at engaging but what can you do.

I wonder if Stevic will umpire their next 2 games and gift them the flag?

A side note: they reportedly drop Williamson (the only competent performing umpire in this match) from a final next week. What a joke.
Probably. Let’s face it, we play so badly it would be ludicrous to think we could win games any other way.

Let me break the convo down for you:

AFL tick off and approve the umpiring from Saturday nights game.
Response: The afl are no good and make mistakes all the time.

AFL do not approve of the umpiring from the 2016 grand final.
Response: Hell yeah, go the AFL. You rule.

My opinion of the umpiring in the 2016 grand final was from the deplorable umpiring i witnessed first hand. My opinion of the umpiring on saturday night was based on what i witnessed also. I could GAF what the AFL says about the standard. They are as corrupt an entity across the board as you can get.

But hey....if you need the big house to approve of your views before you can feel all safe....then go for it...maybe China is a better option for you?

It's called trying to be first to the ball. He doesn't need frees. The minute he goes low to gather the ball anything an opponent does to try to stop him is likely to be illegal. Plus he's short. It's a hopeless position for any tall opponent to be in.

View attachment 1228572

Cody's got the possession. The idiot tackler isn't even looking what he's doing. Cody's shoulder didn't send the arm up, that's where it landed.
I haven’t been part of this conversation so far, and I don’t want to come across as whinging about the umpires or bulldogs, but this free kick is a bad example because it was probably the worst of the ones that weightman got in this game. He went to ground to pick up the ball on the boundary, stood up, looked at the tackler coming towards him, dropped the knees, leant in and raised the arm. This was the clear cut Selwood like playing for a free and he was given it. It’s ones like this more so that opposition fans find infuriating, and it didn’t even result in a goal!

My opinion of the umpiring in the 2016 grand final was from the deplorable umpiring i witnessed first hand. My opinion of the umpiring on saturday night was based on what i witnessed also. I could GAF what the AFL says about the standard. They are as corrupt an entity across the board as you can get.

But hey....if you need the big house to approve of your views before you can feel all safe....then go for it...maybe China is a better option for you?
Sweet, tells us a little bit about your credentials and experience in evaluating umpiring performance at the highest level of football

Sweet, tells us a little bit about your credentials and experience in evaluating umpiring performance at the highest level of football

So you can only comment on umpiring if you have umpired at the highest level....Wow you doggies fans are seriously going down the pipe....

If supporters from the club I followed continuously complained about umpiring decisions from 5 years ago, on an online forum, I would be extremely embarrassed. Have some pride for goodness sake and take your tinfoil hat off.

The 2016 grand final was won by the western bulldogs and there will never be an * on that premiership. Dogs fans will never change their minds on that glorious day. Your coach even said you didn’t play well enough. You coming on here telling us you thought the umpiring was deplorable achieves nothing. You won’t be winning that grand final now or changing the minds of bulldogs fans. You’re wasting your time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back