Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Who was better?

• Bruce Doull

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Stephen Silvagni

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Williams Healy Neagle Bolton Coleman Edmond Morwood Toohey not a bad preseason haul ...
Bernard Toohey, Greg Williams and David Bolton all from Geelong. They also bought the coach of Cats too. Tommy Hafey...
Cats sold them all to get financially better footing. Apparently were in a lot of financial trouble at time.
We will never see anything like that again.

Last edited:

What exactly were Form Fours?
Never heard the full definition and rules.

I am sure there is a link to another thread/forum that can explain them better than I.

But before the drafting system, the VFL allocated a certain number of “Form Fours” each season so clubs could sign players onto their list, from their country zones and interstate.

Once signed they were valid for a certain period of time and then they lapsed.

I believe clubs could even sell or trade the forms if they didn’t use them

As I understand, the Form four was the only way a club could sign an interstate or country league player.

Others may have a better explanation.

:think:

Something like that. It is why I was so excited to see his first game. That pre-season he was the exciting new young talent and the recruits from interstate and Bernie Evans were the others. We had new coach, newish looking team and the pre-season seemed very very exciting. Mil was a big part of that.
Within minutes of the start of game he was out for the season.. :'(

Was there.

Hanna did his knee, and Bernie Evans broke his hand in the first 5 minutes.

......and poor old Des English was getting led a merry dance by Platten.

I am sure there is a link to another thread/forum that can explain them better than I.

But before the drafting system, the VFL allocated a certain number of “Form Fours” each season so clubs could sign players onto their list, from their country zones and interstate.

Once signed they were valid for a certain period of time and then they lapsed.

I believe clubs could even sell or trade the forms if they didn’t use them

As I understand, the Form four was the only way a club could sign an interstate or country league player.

Others may have a better explanation.

:think:

This is right, we had signed Kernahan on a form four when he was sixteen. That flag at Glenelg took a long time to come, by the time he joined us he was 22, the form four had long expired by then.

Next up we've got Matthew Lappin vs Fraser Brown.

Most on here will likely have seen both play, but in case you need a reminder...

Matthew Lappin
251 games (196 for Carlton)
247 goals (221 for Carlton)
All-Australian - 2004
Carlton leading goalkicker - 2001
Mark of the Year - 1999

Fraser Brown
177 games
95 goals
Carlton Best & Fairest - 1998
Premiership player - 1995
Carlton Hall of Fame - 2006
Winner - best tackle of all time

lappin.jpg VS fbrown.jpg

Two terrific footballers, two Carlton cult heroes - who gets your vote?

Very very difficult.

As I recall I wasn’t a big fan of Brown early in his career, he was an in and out player for at least the first 4 years of his career, and I always felt if he was getting a game then we’d be struggling to win because it meant he was in only because we had a lot of injuries. But of course the second half of his career was sensational.

With Lappin, I recall I wasn’t a huge fan of his recruitment at the time, but he won me over immediately with his first game and of course the rest of his career at Carlton.

As Bill Collins once said “dead heat I can’t pick it” - but I’m going to give it to Skinny Lappin as I think during his time as a Carlton Player had a greater impact than Brown did, as Brown only came into his own during the second half of his career.

Last edited:
I get that the entire premise of this thread is a bit of fun, but we could have at least googled the CFC hall of fame inductees and included all of them by default...

Ryan Houlihan, Chris Yarran, Aaron Hamill.... seriously?

Yet no Ken Hands, Soapy Vallence or Charlie Hammond.... and where the ***k is George Coulthard

I get most of us didn't see these players play, but we can read can't we? Charlie Hammond played in 5 flags for us!

End rant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have voted for Swan but Mil was a sensational, versatile footballer.

Matty Lappin and Fraser Brown. Jesus wept!

Skinny v The Brown Dog.

Definitely Lappin was a freak who stunned me with some of his efforts. Fraser was a tough nut and a skilful player with acute game awareness. He also refused to rat on the Blues when the AFL kicked the doors down in 2002. So like a brown dog he was loyal.

Fraser for me.

I get that the entire premise of this thread is a bit of fun, but we could have at least googled the CFC hall of fame inductees and included all of them by default...

Ryan Houlihan, Chris Yarran, Aaron Hamill.... seriously?

Yet no Ken Hands, Soapy Vallence or Charlie Hammond.... and where the ***k is George Coulthard

I get most of us didn't see these players play, but we can read can't we? Charlie Hammond played in 5 flags for us!

End rant

OK, but you have completely missed the point of this thread. We're determining the greatest Carlton player we have seen.

That's why you could only nominate the top 16 you saw play.
That's why you are being encouraged to only vote for people you saw play.

The players you named are greats of our club - and of the league - but nobody saw them play. They are not eligible to be included in this competition.

I don't believe any two posters had the same 16 in order and it is entirely reasonable for younger posters to include some or all of Houlihan, Yarran and Hammill.

I take it you disagree - as is your right - but the time for that was when putting forward your own top 16. And that time has passed.

Skinny v The Brown Dog.

Definitely Lappin was a freak who stunned me with some of his efforts. Fraser was a tough nut and a skilful player with acute game awareness. He also refused to rat on the Blues when the AFL kicked the doors down in 2002. So like a brown dog he was loyal.

Fraser for me.
Wow. Torn on this one. Running both them through my head/mind and coming up with great things done by both. And are sure along their journey, both did things that were annoying and frustrating. Gunna have to read more comments to help me decide - but will still feel like I am betraying the one who doesn't get my vote.

OK, but you have completely missed the point of this thread. We're determining the greatest Carlton player we have seen.

That's why you could only nominate the top 16 you saw play.
That's why you are being encouraged to only vote for people you saw play.

The players you named are greats of our club - and of the league - but nobody saw them play. They are not eligible to be included in this competition.

I don't believe any two posters had the same 16 in order and it is entirely reasonable for younger posters to include some or all of Houlihan, Yarran and Hammill.

I take it you disagree - as is your right - but the time for that was when putting forward your own top 16. And that time has passed.

Judging by the fact that 30 of 36 (I think that was the final tally) reckon they saw Big Nick play, I think we have scared off most of the "younger posters".
I know we have some abstainers, but that figure is surely not representative of the general demographics of this board?

Geez, I was terrified to start posting because I thought I was too old. This place is better than Cocoon for the self esteem of the elderly :)

Brown started off a very ordinary player but ended up a good one and was part of a premiership team. Maybe Matt Kennedy can do the same this decade.

Matthew Lappin was a stylish skiiny footballer. I remember I liked him even before he got to Carlton so was pretty happy when he came here. Sadly for him he never got to play in a premiership team but a player I always respected for his skill and craftiness in traffic.

He gets my vote fairly comfortably.

Pluck a duck, seriously can’t choose.. remember watching the BrownDog in the early reserves games each week when he was coming through, particularly on PP ... not quick but super poised ball winner with fantastic skills in traffic, started off playing wing then moved onto the ball, tough smart and evasive ...
Lappin who i thought had some big upside in him coming from the saints, was genuinely very excited about getting him over..
Possessed an uncanny ability to do the exact right thing in the moment, dangerous when on great goal sense a nice finisher and could sit on ya head, fantastic player...
BrownDog, could have gone either way...

Skinny v The Brown Dog.

Fraser for me.
Well said on The Brown Dog....spot on IMO.

But I loved to watch the LITTLE SPARROW Fly.. :D

Fraze for mine but it hurts:straining:

Brown. His toughness in the middle made the rest walk taller. Super skillful and never give in attitude make this reasonably easy.

Loved Lappin though. Had supreme confidence when he had the ball something good would happen. Just see him as part of the skillful set of players who maybe lacked earlier teams drive and hunger. (Probably more to do with dodgy admin)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Back