Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

If we can win both the only way we will miss with 14 wins is if the Dogs, Hawks and Freo win all of their remaining games. And even if that happens there would still be a chance of passing Hawks or Giants on %. Any team would be incredibly stiff to miss with 14 wins - not sure it's happened before.

Only chance we have is for Fremantle to lose both (against GWS and Port). If that happens it becomes a bit easier with us playing Saints next week and hopefully a bunch of players back. We aren’t making it into the 8 on percentage so need to surpass someone on points and Freo are the likeliest team since both their games are hard.

They have 3 good players on their injury list.

We have half of our best 22 out. We have players in our squad for Sunday who should not be anywhere near a football field but are taking soldier-like attitudes and giving it their all.

It's a disappointing end to what could have been a magical season but we are NOT *.

What’s our excuse for tge previous 7 weeks?

What’s our excuse for tge previous 7 weeks?
Essendon’s ascension to finals was halted. Quite a few remained skeptical about their finals chances. We on other hand have been majorly disappointing in repeating 2022. Injuries haven’t caused our drop and it has been bitterly disappointing and frankly more embarrassing to see us go from 2nd and 6 points clear to likely dropping out of finals or relying on the results of other teams to go our way.

I’ve given up. So I don’t blame Arrow. I can’t even be bothered coming on here much any more. Seems to be no accountability at the club. They let Russell go now…..if it was time now it
Was time 2 years ago. Why did they persist? Who made the decision to persist? How the hell is Brad Lloyd still at the club?

I’m going to call a spade a spade…..I reckon Brad is…dumb.

Can we find someone smart and astute to make better decisions PLEASE? Nick Austin seems AVERAGE. Surely that is also obvious. Luke Sayers…..mate….where are you?!

I’ve given up. So I don’t blame Arrow. I can’t even be bothered coming on here much any more. Seems to be no accountability at the club. They let Russell go now…..if it was time now it
Was time 2 years ago. Why did they persist? Who made the decision to persist? How the hell is Brad Lloyd still at the club?

Can we find someone smart and astute to make better decisions PLEASE? Nick Austin seems AVERAGE. Surely that is also obvious. Luke Sayers…..mate….where are you?!
Anyone you’re happy with?

Do you know why Arrow hasn't been around?
He may be unwell.

Anyone you’re happy with?
Candidly no. What a horrendous under achievement with the starting point this list had many years ago. One finals series from this list is incredibly poor. Maybe marketing. They’ve done a good job getting members up. They are in for a terribly rough summer though. Someone told me there is a wait list for memberships. lol. I doubt that will last. I don’t forgive the players. They quit. It’s not obvious to me that they do the right things. And worst of all is they are SO mentally fragile. We all feel it and see it.

The whole club has lost for so long it has become…..

Losers.

Candidly no. What a horrendous under achievement with the starting point this list had many years ago. One finals series from this list is incredibly poor. Maybe marketing. They’ve done a good job getting members up. They are in for a terribly rough summer though. Someone told me there is a wait list for memberships. lol. I doubt that will last. I don’t forgive the players. They quit. It’s not obvious to me that they do the right things. And worst of all is they are SO mentally fragile. We all feel it and see it.

The whole club has lost for so long it has become…..

Losers.
I’d never have guessed you’re not happy. Thanks for clearing that up.

'Mentally fragile' is a lazy critique. Would have thought last year would have well and truly put that one to bed.

Or was last year the exception to the rule? Over the past few seasons we’ve had big winning and losing steals. Indeed in games we routinely score and concede consecutive goal. I was hoping like most that 2023 was the “penny drop” year that we’d turned the corner and figured out what we needed to do to win games consistently.

Injuries are just an excuse. Mindset is everything. We beat Brisbane at the Gabba from 7 goals down without Walsh and Weitering and after losing Doc by half time. Yet we could barely beat North with a nearly full strength side in round 19. I’m not sure the players collective mindsets are strong enough to win a flag.

Or was last year the exception to the rule? Over the past few seasons we’ve had big winning and losing steals. Indeed in games we routinely score and concede consecutive goal. I was hoping like most that 2023 was the “penny drop” year that we’d turned the corner and figured out what we needed to do to win games consistently.

Injuries are just an excuse. Mindset is everything. We beat Brisbane at the Gabba from 7 goals down without Walsh and Weitering and after losing Doc by half time. Yet we could barely beat North with a nearly full strength side in round 19. I’m not sure the players collective mindsets are strong enough to win a flag.
Last year wasn't one exception. It was half a dozen or more in a row, including multiple finals.

I agree mindset is important, and I'm not suggesting mindset has been where it should be over the last month or two. But to describe it in terms of strength or weakness is IMO simplistic, reductionist, and borderline insulting to players who put in a tremendous amount just to front up each week.

If we were to talk about mindset in similar terms to form -- something that can fluctuate over weeks and months even in high quality, high talent players, rather than labelling players as strong or weak -- then I think that would result in a much more productive discussion.

Without trying to get ahead of ourselves, however it's an interesting question...

IF we make the finals, would you prefer we play Brisbane at the Gabba or Hawthorn at the G?

I'd probably personally prefer Brisbane at the Gabba

Question - on Blue Abroad fan cams there is a guy called 'Jeff' or 'Geoff' who rings in from Thailand (I think ??).

He said the other day he was a past player - anyone know who he is ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question - on Blue Abroad fan cams there is a guy called 'Jeff' or 'Geoff' who rings in from Thailand (I think ??).

He said the other day he was a past player - anyone know who he is ??
Jeff Garlett
Geoff Southby
Geoff Hocking
Jeff Trotman

Doesn't count anyone who might have been at the club but hasn't played a game (since 1965). Or the possibility that the caller is using a false name (or middle name).

Edit: One other Geoff - Brokenshire. Would be 98 if still alive. These five are the only Jeff/Geoffs to play for the club.

Jeff Garlett
Geoff Southby
Geoff Hocking
Jeff Trotman

Doesn't count anyone who might have been at the club but hasn't played a game (since 1965). Or the possibility that the caller is using a false name (or middle name).

Edit: One other Geoff - Brokenshire. Would be 98 if still alive. These five are the only Jeff/Geoffs to play for the club.
Probably can narrow it down a bit

Jeff Garlett is still playing at Albury in the ovens and Murray and kicked a goal on the weekend in their win over Wangaratta.

Apparently Jeff Trotman was killed in s car accident back in the 60's at Just 24.

I think that Geoff Southby still lives in Australia to the best of my knowledge unless he has moved very recently.

Jeff Garlett is still playing at Albury in the ovens and Murray and kicked a goal on the weekend in their win over Wangaratta.

Apparently Jeff Trotman was killed in s car accident back in the 60's at Just 24.

I think that Geoff Southby still lives in Australia to the best of my knowledge unless he has moved very recently.

Thanks - I had narrowed it down to Geoff Hocking but not sure ??

Last edited:

Thanks - Definitely not Jeffy Garlett - unless he's grown 6 inches, put on 40kgs ...and undergone a Michael Jackson style 'whitening' !! :)

He loves the supporters? Why does he celebrate against us?
Just a thought, besides the players, supporters represent the club on game day. The celebration could also be to show what we are missing out on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back